Black spot in the front bottom area of teeth/mouth of my 8 month old chameleon Flick

I use Arcadia earth pro-A every day and then Repashy multivitamin every 2 weeks (just used it today).

I use a humidifier at night aimed in the enclosure, it ups the humidity to about 70% at night during the winter
ok not saying this is for sure it... But my cham ended up with black teeth and he was raised on the Earth pro products.... Sooooo it may very well be the beginning of staining to the teeth...

I have talked to a handful of people where their chams teeth did the same thing. You can see his pearly blacks below. lol

IMG_7006.jpg

I’m not qualified, Cham-wise, but being a mom of 4 with lots of human and animal experiences, I just wanted to pop in and ask if the Q-tip should be dampened with water and squeezed out (to smash fibers together) prior to going in his mouth? I wouldn’t want any fibers to stick and get caught up in his digestive system… just a thought I wanted to put out there for consideration. He’s precious and I hope it’s just a case of needing something like a human “water/jet flosser” around the gum line to dislodge some dirt!🙏🏼

ok not saying this is for sure it... But my cham ended up with black teeth and he was raised on the Earth pro products.... Sooooo it may very well be the beginning of staining to the teeth...

I have talked to a handful of people where their chams teeth did the same thing. You can see his pearly blacks below. lol

View attachment 322364
Oh wow! I appreciate you bringing that up, I never thought about that. So did you switch to using a different supplement? Did the color ever reverse if you did switch supplements? If it is just superficial staining omg I would be so happy 🙏 I have a thing of Zoo Med Repticalcium supplement that I never used, do you recommend that I start using that instead? Or suggestions of a different supplement?

I’m not qualified, Cham-wise, but being a mom of 4 with lots of human and animal experiences, I just wanted to pop in and ask if the Q-tip should be dampened with water and squeezed out (to smash fibers together) prior to going in his mouth? I wouldn’t want any fibers to stick and get caught up in his digestive system… just a thought I wanted to put out there for consideration. He’s precious and I hope it’s just a case of needing something like a human “water/jet flosser” around the gum line to dislodge some dirt!🙏🏼
I had the same thoughts! I wet the qtip because I didn’t think dry would go very well and I flattened the qtip on a paper towel to get the excess water out. Only problem was it didn’t make it in his mouth lol. I’m hoping it’s something benign but I’m going to keep a very close eye on it and probably try again with the qtip soon 🥲

Oh wow! I appreciate you bringing that up, I never thought about that. So did you switch to using a different supplement? Did the color ever reverse if you did switch supplements? If it is just superficial staining omg I would be so happy 🙏 I have a thing of Zoo Med Repticalcium supplement that I never used, do you recommend that I start using that instead? Or suggestions of a different supplement?

I did take him off all Earthpro when he was a little over 2 years old. Switched him because he was developing Edema which later seemed to be from too much bee pollen. No change in teeth color after switch still black little teeth.

You could switch over to repticalcium without D3 on all feedings. Then I am guessing your using the repashy calcium plus LoD 2 times a month.
I use the repashy supercal NoD now for my calcium without D3 and repashy Cal plus Lod for my multi 2 times a month.

I did take him off all Earthpro when he was a little over 2 years old. Switched him because he was developing Edema which later seemed to be from too much bee pollen. No change in teeth color after switch still black little teeth.

You could switch over to repticalcium without D3 on all feedings. Then I am guessing your using the repashy calcium plus LoD 2 times a month.
I use the repashy supercal NoD now for my calcium without D3 and repashy Cal plus Lod for my multi 2 times a month.
Interesting. His teeth look pretty cool tho hehe but in all seriousness I’m glad to hear your guys teeth are overall still healthy despite the color. Do you think from the pictures it looks like just staining??

Yes the one I’m using is the LoD every two weeks.

Interesting. His teeth look pretty cool tho hehe but in all seriousness I’m glad to hear your guys teeth are overall still healthy despite the color. Do you think from the pictures it looks like just staining??

Yes the one I’m using is the LoD every two weeks.
Yeah I tried rubbing one with my nail when I first discovered that it was not normal. Nothing came off. And they are strong as hell because he has no issues ripping through leaves or tearing up his feeders. lol

Perfect so use the LoD and then try switching to a regular calcium without D3 for the other feedings.

Keep an eye on the spot. More then likely since he does not gape at you the only way you are going to be able to tell what is going on is to take pics when he is chewing his food. Monitor it and make sure the gums do not look red or swollen.

Yeah I tried rubbing one with my nail when I first discovered that it was not normal. Nothing came off. And they are strong as hell because he has no issues ripping through leaves or tearing up his feeders. lol

Perfect so use the LoD and then try switching to a regular calcium without D3 for the other feedings.

Keep an eye on the spot. More then likely since he does not gape at you the only way you are going to be able to tell what is going on is to take pics when he is chewing his food. Monitor it and make sure the gums do not look red or swollen.
Thank you so much for all the help. Me and Flick both appreciate it!

It could be Mouth Rot which is basically like getting canker sore for a chameleon unlesss is very dangerous to the tissue but it looks fine in my opinion I’m no expert though.

Back
Top Bottom