Black soldier fly.... OMG

Yep... Little trick... Open the service door and then put the container through there to open it for them to fly out. Then pull your container and hands out quickly and shut the service door. Most of the time they will fly up. You can lose them in your room if you try to release them through the main door.

I believe you hahahhaa. I remember you telling me. I'm gonna peel the sticker tomorrow & empty the container a bit so I can get a better look. I also get all my bugs tomorrow lmao. I'm freaking out. Scared hahaha but cleaned all my containers etc. So I will be making sure they are 100% clear to see those flies.

Sooo say there is 12 hatched lol... how many you recommend giving him a day.
So with these guys I just give whatever has hatched out. If it is a lot then I will skip the next day. But I find it hard to control not releasing too many. Some people will put the container in the fridge for a few seconds to stun them. But I like that they get all excited and fly out. They are Beman's absolute favorite feeder along with Blue bottle flies.

I believe you hahahhaa. I remember you telling me. I'm gonna peel the sticker tomorrow & empty the container a bit so I can get a better look. I also get all my bugs tomorrow lmao. I'm freaking out. Scared hahaha but cleaned all my containers etc. So I will be making sure they are 100% clear to see those flies.
I got a giant order of bugs today it was freaky!

So with these guys I just give whatever has hatched out. If it is a lot then I will skip the next day. But I find it hard to control not releasing too many. Some people will put the container in the fridge for a few seconds to stun them. But I like that they get all excited and fly out. They are Beman's absolute favorite feeder along with Blue bottle flies.
So can you buy just blue bottle flies as larva or the flys and are they hard to cintrol

So can you buy just blue bottle flies as larva or the flys and are they hard to cintrol
You can buy them as spikes (larvae) put them in one of the drawers in the fridge so it is not super cold. Then pull out 10-15 at a time as they pupate. They will go from looking like a maggot to having a brown hard shell and this is when I pull them out. I put these in a little container that Beman can not see into with the lid and cut a hole in the lid about the size of a dime. As they hatch out they fly out the hole. I put 10-15 into this each week. I leave mine sitting on the bottom of the cage outside the spray path. Rainbow mealworms sells them. I buy 250 at a time. They stay alive for a good 8-12 weeks easy in the fridge.

You can buy them as spikes (larvae) put them in one of the drawers in the fridge so it is not super cold. Then pull out 10-15 at a time as they pupate. They will go from looking like a maggot to having a brown hard shell and this is when I pull them out. I put these in a little container that Beman can not see into with the lid and cut a hole in the lid about the size of a dime. As they hatch out they fly out the hole. I put 10-15 into this each week. I leave mine sitting on the bottom of the cage outside the spray path. Rainbow mealworms sells them. I buy 250 at a time. They stay alive for a good 8-12 weeks easy in the fridge.
That sounds awesome I’m going to t try that next bug batch

Back
Top Bottom