Black soldier fly.... OMG

Ok well next time trust me the last thing you want is 12 of the little suckers flying out at you. I use a clear container for my BSFL that way I can see when they hatch out so I do not get a surprise when I open the lid.
I’ve literally never had a soldier fly actually fly mine are walks😂 they literally let me grab them with tongs without resistance to put in a feeder cup and stay there it’s crazy

So can you buy just blue bottle flies as larva or the flys and are they hard to cintrol
Beman has a good technique for indoors. But if you want to be lazy, you can let them hatch and release all into the outdoor cage when cham is outside, so if one escapes no big deal. Between knowing there are flies out there, and a nice warm sun to bask in, Dino cannot wait to climb onto my hand for transport services. (Mind you, he gives me side eye, hisses, and slaps his tail all around, even as he is running toward my hand!)

Sooooo... uh. Do the larvae eat the flies if I leave the flies in there? There was like 3 flies this morning. Wasabi wasn't interested, he already ate. I was just organizing my bugs & noticed no flies. So concerned I opened the container & no flies but fly parts. They ate them??? Lol so I'll have to transfer each time I see a fly?

Sooooo... uh. Do the larvae eat the flies if I leave the flies in there? There was like 3 flies this morning. Wasabi wasn't interested, he already ate. I was just organizing my bugs & noticed no flies. So concerned I opened the container & no flies but fly parts. They ate them??? Lol so I'll have to transfer each time I see a fly?
OK weird. Mine have never done that. Sometimes the adults will burrow back down in the bedding, I can shake the container and they crawl back up. I use the very tall deli cups though. If space is limited I could def. see the larvae being cannibals given the opportunity.

OK weird. Mine have never done that. Sometimes the adults will burrow back down in the bedding, I can shake the container and they crawl back up. I use the very tall deli cups though. If space is limited I could def. see the larvae being cannibals given the opportunity.
Yea I think the space was too limited. It was right at the top.

Mine crawl up to the lid of the container where the larvae can’t reach so I couldn’t confirm I doubt they would tho I could be wrong tho

Mine crawl up to the lid of the container where the larvae can’t reach so I couldn’t confirm I doubt they would tho I could be wrong tho
I just have fly pieces though. Like a literal head lol I really think they did. I saw a post that said if you put the larvae with other bugs it will eat them, or something like that.. & I didn't think they would eat their own kind lmao.

How do you all get your BSF larvae to last ? Both my chams love them but last 2 times I got them they dried out (kinda weird). What's the best way to store them as I just got a 100 pack :)

I just have fly pieces though. Like a literal head lol I really think they did. I saw a post that said if you put the larvae with other bugs it will eat them, or something like that.. & I didn't think they would eat their own kind lmao.
Idk for animals cannibalism isn’t that exactly rare either the flies do have short lifespans and might just die and have their rotting corpse get eaten?

No they hatched yesterday. There's no way they die that quick. It's 8 days or something. Idk lol O well. I was just shocked.

Back
Top Bottom