Black fungus like growth on Jackson cham...

dereckperkins

I know you really can't see it in the picture, but its the best I could do. I had to use my phone to take the picture.

Its a grayish-black bump on her foot, it had dry skin around it I got off by holding her under water though. The bump is still there, and I don't know what to do. She just shed and now the bump is there it kind of looks like fungus. She has full control over her foot though.

Attachments

• 2014-10-05 21.23.39.jpg
    2014-10-05 21.23.39.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 218
I will try to get a better one, not sure if I can though. I am using my phone and she runs from me when I try to take a picture. I think she is scared of my phone, she does not usually run.

The pictures I got are not really any better, but here they are.
I got a better look at the bump and its white to grey in color except for the base of the bump it is black.

Attachments

• 2014-10-05 21.55.38.jpg
    2014-10-05 21.55.38.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 2014-10-05 21.55.54.jpg
    2014-10-05 21.55.54.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 244
  • 2014-10-05 21.56.05.jpg
    2014-10-05 21.56.05.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 261
Toe injuries, especially ones from dried skin cutting off circulation, are not uncommon.
You will definitely have to keep an eye on it and it's best if you try to prevent it from getting infected.
You can dilute some povidone iodine and apply it, or some triple antibiotic cream or some silvadene (silver sulfadiazine cream--by prescription only, I believe).

What happens is that it can get better, the toe might drop off or the foot gets infected.
If the foot gets infected, then he will have to go to a vet for antibiotics before the infection spreads throughout his system.

The home treatment only works for the very beginning of a toe problem--once it's into the foot, it is vet time, unfortunately.
No one likes to have to get to a vet but in cases like this, it's typically the only way to save the cham.

The vet will have to clean the pus out of the foot, apply an antiseptic and give you antibiotics to give him orally and probably antibiotic cream to use for the next couple of weeks.

This link, to the forum health page has 2 links in the second paragraph to finding a vet who knows how to treat chams. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/healthx/vet/

This link is to a good post with forum member vet recommendations https://www.chameleonforums.com/veterinarian-resources-67/

And you can also use the search button to possibly find vets in GA that fellow forum memebers have used.

Hope you'll update us on his progress after the vet.

Back
Top Bottom