Bite pics ! Let's see them!

Franquixote

Established Member
My 3.5 month old ambilobe is starting to get nasty though he is treated like a king and rarely (maybe 1X per week) do I try and move him (and never grab, let him try and walk on to me).

I would like to see the nasty bite pics to see what they are capable of- the old threads have the photos deleted.
I have 2 little ones and need to get some calfskin gloves or something if they can really bite hard enough to cause stitches.

I've been trying to get my guy used to my hands in his cage. He lunges and and tries to bite almost every time. I've been presenting him with the top of my hand underneath him which he tries to bite but only succeeds in bouncing his face off the flat surface. I never try to grab him, and he has not offered to walk on me so far. Basically just an exercise in learning my hand is invasive but not hurting him, nor will it move when he attacks it. If I offered a finger instead of the flat of my hand he might be able to grab some flesh. I've heard they can break the skin when they get larger (mine being a veiled).

If they get REALLY scared they will bite, but they have no teeth so no bite marks, just go slow and calm when approaching.
Ya, they do have teeth. They rarely bite, but each individual is different. Adult ambilobes could break skin. Try and learn your chameleons signs of "aggression" and stress. When they are handled and start to become stressed, you should notice their grip gets quite painful as well. I had a veiled male years ago that would walk on my arm, leaving bloody holes in my skin. It looked like I had track marks. The teeth resemble those of a trout, small, but sharp. Sorry you may have come across one of the only mean panther chameleons out there.

Joking..not a real bite... Dang, I'm glad my Cham is really friendly. I handle him at least once a day for like a min or two. Sometimes less then a min. I just put my finger under his chest and he climbs on.

Attachments

• SAM_0453.jpg
    SAM_0453.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,404
  • 20170914_170414.jpg
    20170914_170414.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 1,756
  • 20170913_170942.jpg
    20170913_170942.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 542
My one panther is very defensive and not afraid to bite as well. He usually only bites me if I'm holding something, my hands alone don't scare him as much

My 3.5 month old ambilobe is starting to get nasty though he is treated like a king and rarely (maybe 1X per week) do I try and move him (and never grab, let him try and walk on to me).

I would like to see the nasty bite pics to see what they are capable of- the old threads have the photos deleted.
I have 2 little ones and need to get some calfskin gloves or something if they can really bite hard enough to cause stitches.

By terrifying him so much he feels he has to bite to save his life, you are teaching him to respond to you with aggression. Rephrase how you interpret his behavior. He isn't being nasty--he's fighting for his life.

Yes they can bite. My quads will often grind and not let go when they get hold of me. There is always a reason why they bite. I might use my thumb to hold their mouth open to medicate, or not pay attention to their mouth when I give a stinging injection, or pull a female out of their cage when they think I should just drop dead.... I have a collection of wild caught adults. I've often put my finger in their mouth to hold it open while I stuff a silkworm in their mouth after I've medicated them. On occasion, they don't let go.....

Picture below of a young wild caught male, with silkworm in mouth, that dangled like that for many minutes as I walked through the house and into the back yard to get my husband to snap a picture.
image.jpeg

My adult male veiled always greets me with teeth... Hes been very defensive toward me since I had to give him oral meds a few months ago and just never regained trust in me. He can and has broken skin on my fingers but its rare that he even gets to that point of biting. If I need to remove him from his cage I slowly move my hand close and if I get a hiss and gaping mouth, I get the stick for him to climb on to get him out. Or a call my girlfriend over.... He never hisses or lunges at her.

You know I was afraid to hold my Panther for a long time, till I talked to Briana. I thought I miss the window of opportunity waiting so long. Now every time I walk by his cage and stop to see him, he moves on down to the door to come out. I have no fear whatsoever now . I have to admit this is one of my favorite pets I ever had ... wish I would of gotten one of the little guys years ago. (y)

Still what I was saying was that a 3.5 month old Panther Chameleons tiny baby teeth won't do much harm.

I have been bit something nasty by all my chameleons at one time or another. Funnily enough my friendliest chameleon is the one who I have been "bit" by most, just because of his love of accidentally grabbing me when handing feeding and me allowing him to bite onto my finger in the process to keep his tongue safe. Now that he has to be medicated and force fed I often get bit when he's just had enough, especially during shedding times but I can't let up too much. I just apologize like crazy (even if he can't hear me) and try to leave him alone for a good while in between. Poor man. When he bites down he can bring tears to my eyes even if it's not a bad bite. They don't tear the skin a lot, and I think that's what is worst.

I found a thread from a few years ago that apparently had pics of a bite requiring stitches from a panther. The links to those photos were dead though.
I'm still not sure what the consensus is, of course they can bite, but can an adult panther bite hard enough to require stitches or not?

Back
Top Bottom