Bioactive

Flick boy

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi all so ,first bio . Going with arcadia earth mix, but some have reccomended adding wood chips for the cuc ,I have some bogwood, I thought this would be better ( with tanin levels ) than just adding other wood chips, thoughts? Also I received a delivery of stuff today which included a bag of fern tree bark substrate ( mistake by the company) would this be much of a benefit to add to the earth mix. Is this substrate ( fern bark) something that some use to adhere to DIY backgrounds

I‘m using fern tree bark and items in my enclosure. Mainly for the background, but it’s also perfect for the soil. If it this moisture / wet it will grow again, because this stuffed with seeds and residu. I’m using leaf litter and spagnum moss for the cuc and they’re colonizing pretty good. Need to refill the leaf litter every few months. Absolutely love bioactive, gives another dimension and so much joy in keeping chameleons

I‘m using fern tree bark and items in my enclosure. Mainly for the background, but it’s also perfect for the soil. If it this moisture / wet it will grow again, because this stuffed with seeds and residu. I’m using leaf litter and spagnum moss for the cuc and they’re colonizing pretty good. Need to refill the leaf litter every few months. Absolutely love bioactive, gives another dimension and so much joy in keeping chameleons
Hi it was your opinion on using bog wood for the cuc ,rather than just ordinary wood chip store bought, as i have a large piece ( like with the tanin levels ) as that's what they get from the leaf litter

Hi it was your opinion on using bog wood for the cuc ,rather than just ordinary wood chip store bought, as i have a large piece ( like with the tanin levels ) as that's what they get from the leaf litter
IMHO this will be more fertilising than ordinary wood, and I belief springtails will love it. This is a great addition for the soil, but personally I would still use the leaf litter. One, as hiding place for the CuC, two, as an extra food source and three, pure aesthetic. I also ditch all plant waste matters at the bottom and let the crew do their thing, I really try maintain a natural cyclus. Also got worms, beetles, slugs in the soil.

Lol so 5mm cork for aesthetics but also ,( hopefully for some type of plant growth) also cuc and insect grip

Attachments

• 20230409_153426.jpg
    20230409_153426.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230409_153437.jpg
    20230409_153437.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 33
@MissSkittles I feal bad with the lack of pictures ( I can't match you or sonny) not 3ven half started but hopefully will turn out OK, I've applied rehydrated tropical moss to the sides only a week ago, so we shall see plz be kind 😉
It looks great! I love how you’ve got everything complimenting each other and those lovely pops of color. Before you know it everything will be all grown in and you’ll be having fun searching for your chameleon. What’s most important is your cham is going to love it and be living as close to a natural life as we are able to give. Btw, my enclosures are looking pretty rough - I just don’t show them. My veiled girls are eating their plants bare and my tall plants keep dying for an unknown reason.

Awwh so kind of you. Thank you . I'm trying so hard to make it work for first boy in June , I feel so under pressure I want it to work , and don't want to put what I want before what he needs , I have learned so much much from you and becca and others , I can never thank yous enough, for your knowledge and support. What plants have you got ❤️

What plants have you got
Right now I just have a ton of pothos, philodendron and tradescantia zebrina. I have a few plants on stand by - schefflera, monstera/Swiss cheese plant and a different type of tradescantia. I don’t have the greenest of thumbs, so have to stick with what I know lives.

@MissSkittles I feal bad with the lack of pictures ( I can't match you or sonny) not 3ven half started but hopefully will turn out OK, I've applied rehydrated tropical moss to the sides only a week ago, so we shall see plz be kind 😉
It’s no game 😉, and I really love it 😍 it’s all for the good of the chams.
You could try to put a pothos or something identical in the soil, to let it grow against the cork. I’m using these https://www.dutchrana.nl/en/shop/terrarium-plants/climbing-and-hanging-plants/ficus-sagittata-2/
and they start to grow.

btw be aware of that the Jasmine probably will be loosing her flowers, but that’s normal, nothing to worry.

It’s no game 😉, and I really love it 😍 it’s all for the good of the chams.
You could try to put a pothos or something identical in the soil, to let it grow against the cork. I’m using these https://www.dutchrana.nl/en/shop/terrarium-plants/climbing-and-hanging-plants/ficus-sagittata-2/
and they start to grow.

btw be aware of that the Jasmine probably will be loosing her flowers, but that’s normal, nothing to worry.
Which one the ficus saggita? Hard to get certain plants if I go to a garden centre they have to order a certain amount of plants for an order, if I order off a plant online shop they can be expensive, like the pink princess is just small if I wanted one that was developed be like £200 , I want to give the best but my pockets are only so deep lol , I actually think they have holes in them like I put money in them and ten minutes later its gone 😉🤣

Aaaw right the link you shared had 4 plants, only just noticed ( related) my mistake so I will have 4 plants in the bio not sure if I want to add more but maybe could put one in back middle . Without starting another thread do / or have you had a evo pro thermostat, I just got one today , any insight , like do people connect there mister to it

Back
Top Bottom