Bioactive or not?

Howdyshay

I would like to hear from y'all who has a bioactive type of substrate in their chameleon enclosure. I know that there are lots of disagreements about this but I would like to hear from those who use it and those who have but didn't like it. It doesn't have to be like the whole 9 yards, just if you have a bit of substrate with a few isopods or springtails in it. I am definitely putting some isopods in my potted plants in my enclosure but considering going bit further. I am new new new to this. My little Panther man doesn't even get here until next Monday or Tuesday. I have been reading everything and watching tons of videos and talking several of your ears off (thank you so much @jamest0o0 ) so I feel like I can listen and speak intelligently on the subject. Thanks for your input.

Putting some isopods in your potted plants is not very useful imo... Go bioactive all the way or not at all.

That doesn't make much sense TBH. Isopods are beneficial for soil and will clean up any poop that lands in the flower pot.

Shay, IDT anyone that has done bioactive would go back to bare. Idk of anyone here that has at least.

That doesn't make much sense TBH. Isopods are beneficial for soil and will clean up any poop that lands in the flower pot.

Shay, IDT anyone that has done bioactive would go back to bare. Idk of anyone here that has at least.
Well, yes, they will clean the poop that happens to end up in the pot (which isn't very likely), but how many isopods will comfortably fit in the pot, and will they be enough to clean up the poop as it comes? Maybe if it is a huge pot, but I don't know if thats the case.

I personally get a lot of enjoyment out of bioactive enclosures, aside from the benefits for the inhabitant. I've always been a gardener & landscaper, so having a big indoor garden in my apartment is kind of a therapeutic thing for me. I thoroughly enjoy spending time "gardening" with my chameleon (who is so fascinated by my scissors) and watching how things change. Plus I don't have to commandeer the bathroom for enclosure cleaning like I did while building her bio upgrade ?

I'd always start a chameleon with a bare-bottom quarantine, though. If the chameleon does have a health issue, it's good to have less potential causes to sort out.

Really though, if you're keeping live plants already, you're 50% there. Just turn your enclosure into one big plant pot with drainage, throw in some bugs, and top it off with leaf litter. Bioactive!

Agree. I currently have 3 bio set ups and won't ever have a bare bottom enclosure for anything intended to be long term.

Well, yes, they will clean the poop that happens to end up in the pot (which isn't very likely), but how many isopods will comfortably fit in the pot, and will they be enough to clean up the poop as it comes? Maybe if it is a huge pot, but I don't know if thats the case.

Youd be surprised how many can live in a flower pot. I see what you mean, if it's a small flower pot, might be hard for poop to land in it. I'm thinking a large one like the ones I posted below. Isopods will still help keep the soil rich and aerated though regardless.

Last edited:
Several of mine without a heavy layer and then a couple of my displays with nearly 2 feet of soil/drainage layer/plants growing out of it. Never had to clean a thing from any of them. The 1" and flower pot did as good a job clean up as the big ones planted directly in. However, I like the look of plants growing out of the substrate better.

Attachments

• 20171006_183914.jpg
    20171006_183914.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 20171003_174448.jpg
    20171003_174448.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 20180711_200016.jpg
    20180711_200016.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 102
  • 20180523_191341.jpg
    20180523_191341.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 118
  • 20180731_175216.jpg
    20180731_175216.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 105
I personally get a lot of enjoyment out of bioactive enclosures, aside from the benefits for the inhabitant. I've always been a gardener & landscaper, so having a big indoor garden in my apartment is kind of a therapeutic thing for me. I thoroughly enjoy spending time "gardening" with my chameleon (who is so fascinated by my scissors) and watching how things change. Plus I don't have to commandeer the bathroom for enclosure cleaning like I did while building her bio upgrade ?

I'd always start a chameleon with a bare-bottom quarantine, though. If the chameleon does have a health issue, it's good to have less potential causes to sort out.

Really though, if you're keeping live plants already, you're 50% there. Just turn your enclosure into one big plant pot with drainage, throw in some bugs, and top it off with leaf litter. Bioactive!
I think you’re right. I’m getting everything together to get it done. Thanks!

I'm expirementing with now. I'm trying to find a light weight drainage layer substrate. The clay balls are too heavy to fill a 24x18x36 exo. Bill Strand has a podcast about this and the use of glass enclosures with Chris Anderson. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-academy-podcast/

There are lightweight, porous drainage materials. Can't remember what it was, but I ordered it from somewhere like Josh's frogs or black jungle... one of those places. Much lighter than the clay balls

@jamest0o0 Thanks I'll have to check that out. I've heard of using egg crate too. NE Herptoculture used to have one that I've used before but it started to disintegrate after a few years. As far as substrate, in my non chameleon set up I've found the ABG one works well but can be expensive. The Zilla Peat/ Sphagnum mix does really well, especially if you mix in some charcoal. Organic potting soil also works great but don't get anything with perlite in it. I use a mix of potting soil/ zilla & a tad bit of charcoal. For plants & Day Geckos/ Anoles if works excellent

Several of mine without a heavy layer and then a couple of my displays with nearly 2 feet of soil/drainage layer/plants growing out of it. Never had to clean a thing from any of them. The 1" and flower pot did as good a job clean up as the big ones planted directly in. However, I like the look of plants growing out of the substrate better.
James WOW... all of them are beautiful. I am so jealous. I think I should just spend all day and all my money building my habitat for Kharma.

Back
Top Bottom