Big Megana is laying her eggs!

Sandy, I am so bummed about your loses. :( Hopefully the eggs will hatch and your free range area will be crawling with babies. Thank you for sharing your experience and Take Care.

Man that sucks. I have seen round eggs hatch, so definatly keep them!

I think you may be very right about the temps. Basking is critical for gravid females. For melleri, it's often hard to get their temps cool enough and provide them with a good basking site. I had recently shut off the basking bulbs in my free-roam, as it was warm enough during the day. This has reminded me that I probably shoudl keep it on.

Don't know what to say.......

Oh Sandy......I am stunned and heartbroken for you. I have nothing to say that can cover this loss. I know how deeply this will hurt you and Elliot as it sinks in. With Hercules you can still have hope and have the possibility that you will find him some day. But Megana.....I'm ill thinking about her loss and how hard you tried with her. Knowing your level of care for her, I just don't see that you can put any blame on yourself. We can always look back and think we could have done something better. But you brought her back to health after her earlier egg laying business and gave her the good life she had for awhile. You have all our prayers for her eggs and for Hercules return in the future. I am so very sorry. Many of us here will grieve with you.

Oh Sandy I'm so very sorry. I can't imagine how crushing all this is.

Like Julie, I'm not downplaying this loss at all. But I just want to say that Megana, with her first clutch providing CH babies to so many responsible keepers and now with the lessons learned with her loss, has done great things for the science of keeping, breeding, and raising Melleri.

Her loss effects more than just you, but I feel all of us hopeful Melleri keepers and breeders have lost a great example of this species. She will be missed. Her eggs are in my prayers.

I have been bummed all morning after checking my email and reading the thread update :( I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I really do hope the eggs hatch. They will be very special eggs. :). I also hope the little man realizes his mistake and returns home!

Bummed is right :(

I can't stop thinking about her either Kevin. I told my husband and he was upset too. I've talked about Hercules and Megana with him a lot. And having had the opportunity to see her in person and see the two of them "go at it" while I was there is hard to think about. They inspired me to become a fanatic about that species. If I had not seen them in person I may not have been so inspired to actually get one. What a crappy day!

I'm so sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you, Sandy.

I have lost three of my four adults melleri in the last year so I feel your pain.

If you need someone to chat with, let me know.

Suzanne

I am sorry to hear that Suzanne:(. I really like these guys I really do get bummed gearing the sad stories. Makes me focus on the care I give my guys. I really watch what and how much I feed. Keep track of pooping cycles more... Coloring.... Sleeping habits...

I almost rather work with melleri exclusively to learn more.

Suzanne what were the causes of death if you don't mind me asking?

I am sorry to hear that Suzanne:(. I really like these guys I really do get bummed gearing the sad stories. Makes me focus on the care I give my guys. I really watch what and how much I feed. Keep track of pooping cycles more... Coloring.... Sleeping habits...

I almost rather work with melleri exclusively to learn more.

Suzanne what were the causes of death if you don't mind me asking?

To be honest I'm not 100% sure on causes.
Chaucer (4yr old CB) died of kidney failure, but it's unknown why (I'm still saving up the money to have histo done on kidney)
Dume (6+ yr old WC) died from an unknown infection in his mouth after he bit Guin, he went downhill in less than a week.
Merlin's (5 yr old WC) cause of death is unknown, but I'm thinking organ failure or maybe some undetected parasite (rapid weight loss, diarrhea)

I know this probably brings up more questions but I don't want to go into detail in this thread.

Sandy I'm terribly sorry that happened, chameleons are such sensitive little ones..

My condolences, I really hope at least some of the eggs make it.

Terribly sorry to hear the outcome of this situation, and to learn about your runaway.
I have lost two females in egg-laying situations and I can empathize to a degree. When it's your animal, your special relationship ... no one can really know or feel what you're going through.
Take good care of those eggs.
Best Wishes!

-Brad

Sandy;
I am so sorry to read about your loss of Megana. This is so sad. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Jann

We just got back. Took a long drive to Portland Oregan to deliver an organ to a sister church down there. A nice long drive during which we listened to a light talking book (Hamisch MacBeth) and took turns napping and driving. It helped a lot to get away for the day and have our minds absorbed by something else.

Thank you so much everyone for the outpouring of heartfelt condolences! We knew we could count on you guys to understand.

We, too, are praying for those 14 eggs!

I want to add how sorry i am for you. Losing a cham is never easy, but you tried everything possible and are suce excellent keepers that make this even worse. You are in my thoughs and prayers.

Good to hear!! I guess at this point those that look good will prob continue to do so?

*knocks on wood*

Back
Top Bottom