Best way to store Meds ?

Chamero

So Im accumulating medicine for a "just in case" scenario, but before I do, I want to know if it is worth it.

I plan on buying Terramycin and Reptaid, but have a few questions before I do.

What temps should they be stored at?

How long are they good stored at these temps?

Thanks.

Most things are better off stored in cooler temperatures and out of the sun.

For the most part, a just in case scenario, you'd be better off getting something fresh just in case.

Don't store them in the two places most humans store their meds: the bathroom and the kitchen. Both of those have humidity and heat issues that can damage any medication regardless of what it is. You're best bet is to store them in a closet that is "central" to the building. If you have a staircase, the closet under the stairs would be perfect...people turn those into wine cellars because they are the most temperature controlled place in the house.

Reptaid comes in a two part formula, which once mixed must be kept refrigerated for up to one year. If left unmixed it has a shelf life of 4 yrs.

edit; I should have mentioned that until mixed, you would store in a cool dry place as described by syn and eliza

Most medicines should have a range of temperatures listed on the bottle in which they should be stored at, always follow those temperatures, and don't go cooler. I have made the mistake thinking things would last longer if placed in the fridge though the temp range said 55-75, and it crystalized, so just make sure you stay within the temps on the bottle of whatever meds you are storing. Since I treat my own animals for everything, I keep my meds in a wine cooler at about 60 degrees F, even my fluids for injection (saline, LRS, dextrose 5%, calcium, Vit B, etc), however, I do warm them up before giving because injecting cold medications hurts like he**

Oh, and make sure it is not too dry where you store meds that have rubber stoppers for syringes because if they dry out, your meds might not be sterile any longer

Back
Top Bottom