Best lighting for panther chameleon

Just respond to a few messages I use ice mountain bottled water. Costco has it in bulk.
OK... Ice Mountain bottled water contains calcium (and other stuff*), which is why you're getting white residue on your plants. You don't want to use that stuff in your MistKing when you set it up, as it will eventually clog mist heads and pump. For a MistKing (and "to avoid the white crusty calcium on leaves") you'll need to switch to either distilled or RO water.

*They make it difficult to find readily, but it's out there. Ice Mountain says, "We have a detailed water quality report that is publically [sic] available and updated annually." but the report they link to is 2 years old (2019). :unsure: :cautious: There are some other weasel words & disclaimers (as big corporationy corporations are wont to use) regarding their water, where it comes from, and what's in it, but this is typical of the bottled water industry in general.
https://www.businessinsider.com/bottled-water-facts-science-healthy-2017-4

I purchased a deluxe zoomed reptibreeze cage for my panther. Just finished it tonight. Plan on getting the 24x24x48 tall one when he gets alittle bigger.
There's really no reason not to have gotten the 24x24x48 right from the start. My 3 month old panther did just fine going directly into his 48x24x48 (double-size) enclosure on day 1.

Just need adjust temps. Figure out a dripper/ water source. My local vet told me add a tray of water to the bottom. Aid with water tension an help with humidity. Purchased a sheet of plexiglass put at the back of the cage make it hybrid. How am going keep it flush with the mesh is tomorrows task. But took a photo any recommendations would be helpful. No lighting added yet. But going add the reptisun 5.0 ho an 75 watt heat bulb. Sansi plant fixture that idk how am mounting yet. It seems on the heavy side. Its a 30w with the 4 bulbs.
Most mfd. hybrid enclosures have solid back, sides, and door. Moisture retention can be accomplished inexpensively with shrink-wrap storm window kits, e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Frost-King-P714H-Economy-1-25-Millimeters/dp/B000CSK6FY
installed on the outside of the screens.

That 30W Sansi light does not have the penetration capability of the 70W (See below) to reach the lower regions of an enclosure. I mounted the latter between 2 slats of wood, transferring the load to the frame.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/plant-lights.178499/#post-1643180

1617367777025.png

Source: https://www.sansiled.com/

I won't be using ice mountain if it has calcium that's one of my top issues with my chameleon enclosures. What is the RO type of water never heard of it. Thinking its filtered water at home. If so I dont have that since my son broke the filter system. Didn't pressure release filter before filter removal 😆😆. So the 30w sansi fixture won't help the plants? I got smaller size one because they are pretty heavy. I'll show a pic of my baby panther an fixture setup.

Attachments

• 20210402_230239.jpg
    20210402_230239.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210402_224510.jpg
    20210402_224510.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 65
I see there flood lights :( 😆😆😆 going drop em off at ups store with phone code for refund ugh. Thank God for Amazon. My panther chameleon is 1 inch nose to vent. How would you house one in a 24x24x48 tall cage? I have my two feet long Cuban rock iguana in same size but long. Just mention hes in this enclosure so he doesn't fight with our dog. He will soon once sister moves out get back bedroom with two megarays. Just mention this so doesn't cause conflict. He is a very big reptile. I had for almost 3 years now. Just mentioning this so no trolling of thread start.

I got the plexiglass to stick very well with command sticks. Was impressed it holds half my strength to back of the cage. When I mist it shows 50-60 humidity for about 90 minutes. Can't see any way add more foliage unless I buy smaller potted plants. My temp gun is reading 82-86 basking temps for a hatching. I got him cheap for 150 from a local breeder 2 weeks ago. Been feeding crickets an got 3 very small hornworms today. Going stick one to the mess on his whereabouts see if sticks it. Haven't tried them yet. Waiting for him to reach 3 months so he can get checked by my exotic vet. Shes a great friend of mine. Been keeping my reptiles healthy for past 5-6 years. Recent was bad stool sample for my bearded dragon but he's doing well now. Crickets at the local store aint safe. Caused the c bacteria infection I forget spelling for it. So I stick with nutri grubs an roaches. Just with my 3 chameleons been running into issues. They are very tricky keep. But I been up to the challenge since I got them. But nothing comes easy.

What is the RO type of water never heard of it.
RO (Reverse Osmosis) water is a type of filtering.

reverse osmosis water vs distilled (google search)

Probably better if you read a few articles. IME, their slant tends to run toward which system they sell (big surprise). I've heard RO can be cheaper if buying it, but where I live, distilled is everywhere and cheap, and I'd have to make special trips to get RO, which would cancel out any savings. YMMV.

My panther chameleon is 1 inch nose to vent. How would you house one in a 24x24x48 tall cage?
Same way you'd house one in a smaller enclosure. Some neophytes (not saying you are, but most new members here are) think (or are told) they have to go through multiple enclosures as the cham grows—they don't, and it's a waste of money better spent elsewhere on their chams care. My 3 mo. old was ~2" nose to vent when I put him in the 48x24x48. The ratio is about the same.

If you can maintain temps & humidities with what you're doing, that's what matters. A lot of folks can't (self included until I took further measures). ;)

Last edited:
Same way you'd house one in a smaller enclosure. Some neophytes (not saying you are, but most new members here are) think (or are told) they have to go through multiple enclosures as the cham grows—they don't, and it's a waste of money better spent elsewhere on their chams care. My 3 mo. old was ~2" nose to vent when I put him in the 48x24x48. The ratio is about the same.

If you can maintain temps & humidities with what you're doing, that's what matters. A lot of folks can't (self included until I took further measures). ;)
I can maintain it. Plus plexiglass sheet i have is same size as a 24x36 just wont make whole back. Short a few inches but think it a work. Purchased a reptibreeze 24x24x48 online this morning. Give me something work on while he's in smaller one. I know house flies are gross. But is there any sites that sell safe flies for panthers. I cup feed my hatchling pinhead crickets. Just doesn't seem interested in them. Wanted try a hornworm but they are same size as him lol.

For a 16x16x30 tall cage would the sansi 70w work or is it to strong for this small enclosure. Just trying figure out how mount it with mesh top. Seems heavy

I know house flies are gross. But is there any sites that sell safe flies for panthers. I cup feed my hatchling pinhead crickets. Just doesn't seem interested in them. Wanted try a hornworm but they are same size as him lol.
You might try BSFL. You get them as maggots, you don't have to gutload or dust them w/ calcium (they're naturally high in calcium) and when they metamorphose into adult flies, the flies don't have to be fed because they have no mouth parts. In many ways, they're a perfect staple for small/baby chams. An excellent source is Symton. BSFL is what they do.

There are also flightless fruit flies (GMO). I've never used them, but there are many vendors.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=flightless+fruit+flies+for+sale

What would be better for a very small baby cham. Blue bottle flies or the symbol kind? Either way my big veiled a eat pretty much anything.
If you're specifically looking for flies, I dont think you can go wrong with bsfl or bbf. Bsfl look almost like a flying when done, and bbf are big and fat...but not too big for a small panther I dont think....
well I just read she is a hatchling and only 1 inch, maybe try the bbf in another month.
nutri grubs
You said you're feeding nutri grubs....these are bsfl. Just let them pupate and you have flies

If you're specifically looking for flies, I dont think you can go wrong with bsfl or bbf. Bsfl look almost like a flying when done, and bbf are big and fat...but not too big for a small panther I dont think....
well I just read she is a hatchling and only 1 inch, maybe try the bbf in another month.

You said you're feeding nutri grubs....these are bsfl. Just let them pupate and you have flies
I'll try this an see if they will pupate. I get the large size ones 2k at a time. I want to switch to dubia roaches soon. But they are expensive. My only other problem is the sansi plant lighting for the spider/potho plants in the cages. But just purchased these tonight to see how panther likes em. https://www.chewy.com/symton-small-...MI8reZq4Xm7wIV2P_jBx2VugMUEAQYAyABEgLWk_D_BwE

I'll try this an see if they will pupate. I get the large size ones 2k at a time. I want to switch to dubia roaches soon. But they are expensive. My only other problem is the sansi plant lighting for the spider/potho plants in the cages. But just purchased these tonight to see how panther likes em. https://www.chewy.com/symton-small-...MI8reZq4Xm7wIV2P_jBx2VugMUEAQYAyABEgLWk_D_BwE
That's a better price than directly from Symton.

Dubias are expensive. Depending on how many mouths you have to feed, it may or may not make sense to breed them. I'm trying to, but they're so small when born & take so long to grow, it looks like I'll be ordering more soon anyway. 🤷‍♂️

Anyone know a good potting soil mix for pothos. Mostly for drainage. New growth is dying off my big potho.
We just use a commercial organic potting soil, but if drainage is the problem, IDK that soil would necessarily fix it. Do you cover the tops of the pots with river pebbles? That usually helps as a water shed, especially if your pot is hanging and closer to the mist heads.

Hi,
I purchased some symton black soldier fly. Have like 3000 but still maggot form. Been feeding two slices of banana. But my problem is wont turn to fly form. Had them for almost a week now. My panther chameleon isn't interested in maggot form. Wanted try Flys but didn't come in that form. Have 3 containers an ones in the bottle of the enclosure. I have a baby panther about 6-8 weeks old. Isn't interested in 5 crickets I let free in cage.

Hi,
I purchased some symton black soldier fly. Have like 3000 but still maggot form. Been feeding two slices of banana. But my problem is wont turn to fly form. Had them for almost a week now. My panther chameleon isn't interested in maggot form. Wanted try Flys but didn't come in that form. Have 3 containers an ones in the bottle of the enclosure. I have a baby panther about 6-8 weeks old. Isn't interested in 5 crickets I let free in cage.
A week is not long enough; the average time they spend in the larval stage is around 18 days/3 weeks.
Then they must spend another 2 weeks in the pupae stage before turning into flies. As adult flies, they'll live another 5 to 10 days, during which time they'll breed and die. They do not eat as adults as the adult form has no mouth parts.

raising black soldier flies

A week is not long enough; the average time they spend in the larval stage is around 18 days/3 weeks.
Then they must spend another 2 weeks in the pupae stage before turning into flies. As adult flies, they'll live another 5 to 10 days, during which time they'll breed and die. They do not eat as adults as the adult form has no mouth parts.

raising black soldier flies
Thanks ill give it more time. Should I store them in the fridge an keep feeding them bananas.

Back
Top Bottom