Best lighting for panther chameleon

There are many specific variables when making these decisions. Your ambient condition in the house as well as the layout and plants you have inside the enclosure. There isn't one exactly answer but most would agree a t5ho fixture one with linear tube bulbs is a must for proper uvb distribution and if possible check levels with a solor meter. You'd be shocked how much an inch of lift of the top of the cage it can make .

If heavily planted and you need supplemental light I can personally recommend the sansi 70w LED square it's amazing. My plants and Chameleon love it and look better with it running.
https://www.sansiled.com/70w-led-grow-light-full-spectrum.html

For heat and basking also very specific to your set up so do some trouble shooting.

You will want temp probes as well as a thermal gun to test your temps before putting your Chameleon into the enclosure

search function is the best place to start

Welcome to the forum.

Hi wanted to know what the best lighting to use with this chameleon. In a zoomed cage with a fine mesh top? Any care tips on how keep one healthy.
Here are a couple of good references on lighting—one from the Resources section of this site (where you can find many quick answers) and one from Chameleon Academy, where you can find more detailed information & explanations.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/lighting/
https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-chameleon-lighting/

Basically, you'll need 3 kinds of lights:
  1. UVB—Most folks here use a linear T5 HO UVB—either Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% in a single fixture.
  2. Basking—An old-style household incandescent bulb works best, followed by incandescent flood (not spot) and halogen flood (not spot). Wattage, distance, and angle will need to be found by trial & error.
  3. Plant light—LED plant lights are more efficient, more economical, and greener than others. I second Multivitamins recommendation for the Sansi 70W pad; it has excellent penetration.
Care tips will depend on species & sex. Again, you can find more in the Resources section and on Chameleon Academy.

I am using the reptisun 5.0 ho fixture 22" an a 75 watt for 85 basking temps. That is what I was told by the breeder. I never used a plant light so am new to this. I have potho plant in enclosure that isn't doing well. It yellows an looks wilted. Haven't had the luck with plants in the zoomed screen cages. With both the lighting on a 18 by 18" top dont know how to add a plant light. I use organic potting soil for herbs an vegetables. I mist twice a day. I own a mistking but don't know how use it. On 4 enclosures. I have two iguanas in glass tanks. Just thinking something is off with my enclosures. I have veil an panther chameleon. Both males an veiled is doing pretty well. Panther is definitely off setup wise. I replaced pothos 3 times in 16 months. Just not having luck but are easiest I seen to grow in a chameleon habitat. I also feed nutri grubs so I don't have to dust. Just use a multi vitamin once a month. I done alot of research on these species. But getting discouraged with things not working out. Plus getting though a harsh winter where crickets were my only feeder since December. Any pointers with plants be appreciated.

May I ask how your plants looked when they died? This will give hints as to whether it was too much/too little Water or Sun. If the leaves were dry and brown (too close to light fixture/not enough water) or yellowish/brownish and soggy (low light/overwatering) When removed were the roots dried out or mushy (too little water/root rot, overwatering) Solid green leaves or variegated? Variegated (pattern leafed) pothos will not be as tolerant of low lighting.

Pothos does better in nutrient rich, fast-draining soil and fertilized once every 1-3 months with diluted fertilizer. Perlite, pumice, and vermiculite can help your drainage. Worm castings, fertilizer, and mycorrhizae can help with nutrients. Only water when the top 2 inches or so of soil is dry and make sure the water drains thru the planter (planter needs a good amount of drainage holes). Upgrade your lighting to full spectrum led (such as the Sansi previously recommended). Tips and products links for plant care available at https://caskabove.com/plant-care-1
Also, how old is your chameleon? An 18x18 is quite small for panthers. Hope this helps! ☺️

I am using the reptisun 5.0 ho fixture 22" an a 75 watt for 85 basking temps. That is what I was told by the breeder. I never used a plant light so am new to this. I have potho plant in enclosure that isn't doing well. It yellows an looks wilted. Haven't had the luck with plants in the zoomed screen cages.
Problem with pothos could be light or water-related (or both); generally, they're pretty hard to kill.
Here are some articles: pothos yellow wilted

With both the lighting on a 18 by 18" top dont know how to add a plant light.
That enclosure is really too small for a panther—should be 24 x 24 x 48H (minimum).

Adding a plant light is as easy as adding the other two. Several of us are using this one:
https://www.sansiled.com/70w-led-grow-light-full-spectrum.html
as it has the penetration to reach down into the enclosure.

With enclosures with screened tops, it's best to transfer the weight to the frame so as not to warp or damage the screen. This can be accomplished by placing a couple of wooden slats across the top of the frame and resting the plant light on top of those—or anchored into one. I described how I did it (with pics) here:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/simple-uvb-fixture-supports.177896/
(Post #9)

All together, the light arrangement can look like this:

1616249978782.png

You can tilt the basking light to intersect with the UVB and create a gradient temperature zone; the chameleon can seek out the temp he likes.

I own a mistking but don't know how use it.
Lots of threads here on how to do that, as well as videos on YT. setting up mistking
https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/1072072/?q=mistking&o=relevance

On 4 enclosures. I have two iguanas in glass tanks. Just thinking something is off with my enclosures. I have veil an panther chameleon. Both males an veiled is doing pretty well. Panther is definitely off setup wise. I replaced pothos 3 times in 16 months. Just not having luck but are easiest I seen to grow in a chameleon habitat.
Other plants can be found here:
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
https://www.madcham.de/en/pflanzen-fuers-terrarium/
https://www.chameleons.info/l/safe-and-unsafe-plants/

Just use a multi vitamin once a month.
Current thinking on supplements:
Calcium w/o D3 every feeding except Sundays (or whichever day you choose to be consistent)
Calcium with D3 on alternating Sundays with vitamins
Vitamins on alternating Sundays with Calcium w/ D3

To make sure to get things right, I'd suggest an overall review. Copy/paste the following to a post in this thread, and fill in your answers/information for the panther chameleon. Include pics of your enclosure from the lights (top) on down to the floor/substrate.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

This is my current setup with the reptisun 5.0 an dimmer switch 100 watt meet 90 degrees for basking. Going to purchase the lighting for plants. Don't currently have that.

Attachments

• 20210322_215501.jpg
    20210322_215501.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 20210322_215501.jpg
    20210322_215501.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 111
I’ve recently upgraded to the Sansi bulb that is recommended here and it truly lights up the enclosure. My smaller full spectrum flex lamp didn’t put out but a fraction of this led (and died within 5 months). It is a great investment. My first thoughts plugging this in was.. 🤩

Btw, 90 degrees is a little toasty especially if your chameleon is younger.

What are the recommended temps for a adult an juvenile? I hand mist both cages but dry out very quickly. Also been trying find bamboo mats for the back an sides. Hold in moisture longer. With the mistking does it have to run when 12 hour cycle is turned off?

Attachments

• 20210324_195059.jpg
    20210324_195059.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 20210324_195106.jpg
    20210324_195106.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 91
The most recommended temps for panthers are 80-85 max for adults. Around 78-82 for juveniles. Depending on your humidity average misting schedule is 2 minutes in the morning at/around lights on and 2 minutes after lights off. If your in a low humidity area you can add a couple minutes to those sessions and another session can be added in the middle of the day (turn off heat lamp for 15-30 before and turn on 15-30 minutes after). Some keepers with low humidity will mist every few hours for less than a minute each.
Check your chameleon urates for dehydration and stick your finger into your soil for moisture testing. You want 50%+ white urates and top inch+ of soil should be dry before watering.

I’ve recently upgraded to the Sansi bulb that is recommended here and it truly lights up the enclosure. My smaller full spectrum flex lamp didn’t put out but a fraction of this led (and died within 5 months). It is a great investment. My first thoughts plugging this in was.. 🤩

:LOL: Our first thoughts were... (Go Full Screen for max. effect. ;) )

:LOL: Our first thoughts were... (Go Full Screen for max. effect. ;) )

I was reading the chameleon academy. Got alittle confused. Most of the pet chameleons are indoors with all screen habitats. But said depending on humidity/temps in household. Can use all glass or hybrid caging. If am correct isn't all glass tanks unhealthy for most chameleon species?

Yes, the recommended basking temps are the same for both, but the daytime humidity is slightly different (30-50 for Veileds/50-60 for Panthers). Unless you have a female veiled which it is recommended to keep them slightly cooler for egg reduction and longevity. So for a girl 80 degrees basking is good.

I was reading the chameleon academy. Got alittle confused. Most of the pet chameleons are indoors with all screen habitats. But said depending on humidity/temps in household. Can use all glass or hybrid caging. If am correct isn't all glass tanks unhealthy for most chameleon species?
That depends on your household climate. People in extremely cold or hot or dry areas will have an easier time keeping in a more enclosed cage (the key is airflow).

For my panther just have a plexiglass front door an rest are screen. I use bottled water because water is terrible where I live. Anyway to avoid the white crusty calcium on leaves an fogger system? Thought maybe to boil water but don't think it help much.

For my panther just have a plexiglass front door an rest are screen. I use bottled water because water is terrible where I live. Anyway to avoid the white crusty calcium on leaves an fogger system? Thought maybe to boil water but don't think it help much.
That’s a great question! I am curious what the other members on the forum are using. I know there is a way to setup RO systems at home. I believe distilled works as well, although I can’t say from experience.

Btw, 90 degrees is a little toasty especially if your chameleon is younger.

Wear sunglasses if you plan on leaving it on and adjusting it

That’s a great question! I am curious what the other members on the forum are using. I know there is a way to setup RO systems at home. I believe distilled works as well, although I can’t say from experience.
Boiling water will clean it from bacteria and things but increase the concentration of the minerals and flouride to my understanding. as they h2o boils off the rest may not.

Back
Top Bottom