Best lighting for panther chameleon

I’ve recently upgraded to the Sansi bulb that is recommended here and it truly lights up the enclosure. My smaller full spectrum flex lamp didn’t put out but a fraction of this led (and died within 5 months). It is a great investment. My first thoughts plugging this in was.. 🤩

Btw, 90 degrees is a little toasty especially if your chameleon is younger.

I wonder if the plants will start growing towards the sansi and crowd out the chameleon like they do to my halogens?

For my panther just have a plexiglass front door an rest are screen. I use bottled water because water is terrible where I live. Anyway to avoid the white crusty calcium on leaves an fogger system? Thought maybe to boil water but don't think it help much.
There are many kinds of bottled water, so I'm not sure which kind you mean. :unsure:
Either distilled or RO should help.

That’s a great question! I am curious what the other members on the forum are using. I know there is a way to setup RO systems at home. I believe distilled works as well, although I can’t say from experience.
I use distilled because it is more readily available to me; I can pick it up with weekly groceries, and we already use it for other purposes.

Some buy RO water—some do their own at home.

Anyone know any cheap websites to get a proper panther chameleon cage? My house is dry during the summer an ac on in the summer. Found a 24" 24" 48" reptibreeze deluxe cage but seems to be a waste of money.

. I have veil an panther chameleon. Both males an veiled is doing pretty well.

What are the recommended temps for a adult an juvenile? I hand mist both cages but dry out very quickly. Also been trying find bamboo mats for the back an sides. Hold in moisture longer. With the mistking does it have to run when 12 hour cycle is turned off?

Are these temps for veiled also? These are recent pics.
Have any pics of your panther? Looks to me like you have 2 veileds, one male and one female.

Anyone know any cheap websites to get a proper panther chameleon cage?

1616849745918.png
My house is dry during the summer an ac on in the summer. Found a 24" 24" 48" reptibreeze deluxe cage but seems to be a waste of money.
Then an all-screen enclosure mightn't be the best idea anyway. Two mfrs of hybrid enclosures are:
https://www.zenhabitats.com/products/2x2x4-pvc-reptile-enclosure-1
https://dragonstrand.com/product/tall-hybrid-chameleon-cage-system/

You also have the option of building one.

Anyone know any cheap websites to get a proper panther chameleon cage? My house is dry during the summer an ac on in the summer. Found a 24" 24" 48" reptibreeze deluxe cage but seems to be a waste of money.
Sorry dear, getting an enclosure is one of the more pricy items on the checklist. I personally use a 2x2x3 butterfly cage but I have a smaller female. This will work fine if you have a female panther. For a male I would use the 35x35x59 butterfly cages, they’re around $60 and can work well with some creativity (see here for tips on using butterfly cages https://caskabove.com/blog). Hope this helps you ☺️

Here’s a link to cage options https://caskabove.com/housing-resources (butterfly cages are at the bottom of the page)

Sorry dear, getting an enclosure is one of the more pricy items on the checklist. I personally use a 2x2x3 butterfly cage but I have a smaller female. This will work fine if you have a female panther. For a male I would use the 35x35x59 butterfly cages, they’re around $60 and can work well with some creativity (see here for tips on using butterfly cages https://caskabove.com/blog). Hope this helps you ☺️

Here’s a link to cage options https://caskabove.com/housing-resources (butterfly cages are at the bottom of the page)
Thanks have to amazon search butterfly cages. Also are ocean spider plants safe for chameleons. I can't seem to find a list online.

any info on the label? also thats a spider plant ill bet my bottom dollar
That seems like it 👍 his label says “foliage hanging basket” which is not helpful, it would be nice if they listed what exact plant it is and the water and light requirements. Some say how much sun but usually that’s about it.

Last edited:
That seems like it 👍 his label says “foliage hanging basket” which is not helpful, it would be nice if they listed what exact plant it is and the water and light requirements. Some say how much sun but that’s usually that’s about it.
snake plants look nice and can take partial shade and you can allow it to dry out a bit between waterings. not as aggressive a grower as pothos and doesn't get the same thick vines but look nice for sure

Been doing alot of research. With up to 300 to spend. Currently using a reptibreeze deluxe cage for my panther chameleon. He's still on the small side about 2-3 inches when tail is unrolled. Been feeding hornworms an crickets. Hornworms he likes they usually stick to the mesh. Crickets are being cup feed but seems like worms instead. Just really thinking go the full grass terrarium for my panther. But don't want him have lung issues an no air flow. I live in Illinois an usually only warm 4-5 months of the year. My house is perfect habitat for bearded dragon with research done. So thats 20-40 humidity an temps usually 65 an up depends when windows are open during this time of year. Midwest temps are bipolar so its a everyday thing. Just trying figure out what tank/cage is best. So far having no luck. Can't build a hybrid cage. Don't have tools needed. Just a skill saw. Any advice be appreciated.

Been doing alot of research. With up to 300 to spend. Currently using a reptibreeze deluxe cage for my panther chameleon. He's still on the small side about 2-3 inches when tail is unrolled. Been feeding hornworms an crickets. Hornworms he likes they usually stick to the mesh. Crickets are being cup feed but seems like worms instead.
Kids always like dessert. As long as he's eating the good stuff (crickets, dubias, silkworms, etc.)...
Wow, that sounds really small. IDT he's 3 mo., BICBW.

Just really thinking go the full grass terrarium for my panther. But don't want him have lung issues an no air flow. I live in Illinois an usually only warm 4-5 months of the year.
I'd go with a hybrid. There's natural air flow via chimney effect, and if you need more, a small muffin fan can be added.

My house is perfect habitat for bearded dragon with research done. So thats 20-40 humidity an temps usually 65 an up depends when windows are open during this time of year.
Beardies are often characterized as arid, but when you examine their range, they're actually temperate, so 50-60% humidity is OK.
1617198396591.png

Midwest temps are bipolar so its a everyday thing. Just trying figure out what tank/cage is best. So far having no luck. Can't build a hybrid cage. Don't have tools needed. Just a skill saw. Any advice be appreciated.
  • The enclosure you have can be modified by wrapping in a moisture barrier. Inexpensive storm window kits work well for this.
  • Hybrid enclosures are more common as knowledge increases; there are now (at least) 5 mfr. of hybrids, and probably more. Zen Habitats, Custom Cages, K&M Dragons, Tamura Designs, Dragon Strand
  • You can build a hybrid cage; you just need someone to cut (some of) the pieces for you. When I built my beardie box, I found a local cabinet maker willing to cut the large pieces for me (I did the short cuts building jigs for the saw I have). With his suppliers, the wood actually cost less than had I purchased it myself, so it cost quite a bit less than I thought it would.
  • I also found a fabricator who would cut aluminum frame members (same frame as Zen Habitats) but after crunching the numbers, that would not have saved any unless I wanted a different custom size.
There are always options/ways... :)

Just respond to a few messages I use ice mountain bottled water. Costco has it in bulk. Also my little veiled is a male has the spur on the rear feet. Both are currently shedding. So I been adding hornworms and crickets an leaving them be. I will take a pic tomorrow of my panther chameleon. Hes on small side so hard get a good photo. I purchased a deluxe zoomed reptibreeze cage for my panther. Just finished it tonight. Plan on getting the 24x24x48 tall one when he gets alittle bigger. Just need adjust temps. Figure out a dripper/ water source. My local vet told me add a tray of water to the bottom. Aid with water tension an help with humidity. Purchased a sheet of plexiglass put at the back of the cage make it hybrid. How am going keep it flush with the mesh is tomorrows task. But took a photo any recommendations would be helpful. No lighting added yet. But going add the reptisun 5.0 ho an 75 watt heat bulb. Sansi plant fixture that idk how am mounting yet. It seems on the heavy side. Its a 30w with the 4 bulbs.

Attachments

• 20210401_233130.jpg
    20210401_233130.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 65
If you drill holes into the plexiglass you might could zip tie it to the cage. I have my sandi hanging from the ceiling, I used heavy duty adhesive hooks to mount so I didn’t have to find the stud. For the water tray, make sure it’s VERY shallow so your cham cannot drown.

Back
Top Bottom