Beardies

They are crazy but lovable little beasts. Guess they really like being waited on and hand fed their salads. I found mine loves anything red, so I always have to put something red in his salad...a berry, bell pepper. Of the greens try watercress and dandelion. They seem to be the only ones my guy really seems to enjoy (besides the rare leaf of restricted spinach). Yellow summer squash and butternut are also his favorite.
Okay, thank you! I never thought of watercress!
Opal really loves squash. He will take multiple bites of his squash when I offer it. Everything else he just takes one bite of and then turns his head or runs away. HahHa. I do love his quirky personality!

Last edited:
About 15 med-large crickets or roaches, some bsfl, a hornworm or 2 waxworms thrown in a few times a week. And then I also give him bell peppers, kale, carrots, apple shavings, squash.

Then I feed him the same in the afternoon minus the veggies.
When mine was still growing, he was chowing down 15 half-inch dubias and 5 supers 3X a day. (Yeah.)
Getting him to eat greens & veggies has been nigh impossible. Last time I tried the starvation incentive, he held out for 10 days and lost 10 grams before he'd eat. (Sigh...) He still gets a fresh salad every morning, but usually he eats more of the plants in his enclosure, and not much of those either.

Now that he's stopped growing, he's down to about 10 three-quarter-inch dubias (they've grown) and ten supers every 2-3 days. These guys are supposed to love blueberries, but like most other fruits & veggies I've tried, he'll try ONE (or just taste it), then turn away thereafter. This morning I got him to eat a small slice of squash, but he ran away from trying any more. :(

When mine was still growing, he was chowing down 15 half-inch dubias and 5 supers 3X a day. (Yeah.)
Getting him to eat greens & veggies has been nigh impossible. Last time I tried the starvation incentive, he held out for 10 days and lost 10 grams before he'd eat. (Sigh...) He still gets a fresh salad every morning, but usually he eats more of the plants in his enclosure, and not much of those either.

Now that he's stopped growing, he's down to about 10 three-quarter-inch dubias (they've grown) and ten supers every 2-3 days. These guys are supposed to love blueberries, but like most other fruits & veggies I've tried, he'll try ONE (or just taste it), then turn away thereafter. This morning I got him to eat a small slice of squash, but he ran away from trying any more. :(
Well maybe I AM starving Opal from bugs. ? It is soo funny to me how they just turn up their noses and run away from salad!

0620201649.jpg

Weighing/Measuring Day...
The little turd lost 10g., but grew a ½" this week. :unsure:
That makes 19"; 420g.

Anybody know Terry Pratchett's Hogfather?
Last night I brought Ol' Stinkeye out to fall asleep on my stomach, and he got a new nickname...
Mr. Tummytimey. :rolleyes:
420 Gm! ? I haven’t weighed my guy in awhile. He was 176 Gm & no idea of length. He flattened a bit when I was putting back the now clean hammock (he likes to poop on them:rolleyes:) and looked ridiculously fat. Just a giant dragon blob with a teeny tiny head.?

FYI, Opal is a lovely little GIRL! We used the flashlight method last night after bed. She is small, but she is very female. So yay. Her name fits her now ?
0624200925.jpg

I went back to the first post and wow! Opal has grown SO MUCH in a super short amount of time. She also can eat large crickets and large roaches now....

It says there is a STRICT 16 inch rule...do not feed supers to a bearded dragon smaller than 16 inches.....what do you guys think???

420 Gm! ?
Yup. That's within range for his length. He's not obese.

I haven’t weighed my guy in awhile. He was 176 Gm & no idea of length. He flattened a bit when I was putting back the now clean hammock (he likes to poop on them:rolleyes:) and looked ridiculously fat. Just a giant dragon blob with a teeny tiny head.?
How old, and how long has it been?
I've been weighing & measuring weekly since I got him. Now that he's plateauing, I'll probably cut back to monthly.

It says there is a STRICT 16 inch rule...do not feed supers to a bearded dragon smaller than 16 inches.....what do you guys think???
What says? :unsure: (not being argumentative). I think it partly depends on the size of the supers; some vendors sell "small" (1" or less). "Large" size are 1½" to 2". I started Stinkeye on the small ones first (can't find date/size; they were about the same size as lg. meal worms—and progressed to the large ones at 20 weeks/15" (probably the 2nd order).

Does "it" give a rationale for that STRICT rule? ICBW, but I would think if a beardie can handle them, they should be OK. (shrug?) YMMV.

What says? :unsure: (not being argumentative). I think it partly depends on the size of the supers; some vendors sell "small" (1" or less). "Large" size are 1½" to 2". I started Stinkeye on the small ones first (can't find date/size; they were about the same size as lg. meal worms—and progressed to the large ones at 20 weeks/15" (probably the 2nd order).

Does "it" give a rationale for that STRICT rule? ICBW, but I would think if a beardie can handle them, they should be OK. (shrug?) YMMV.
I honestly cannot remember where I read it, but it stuck out in my mind as a wow factor, since my chameleons can eat them fine and they definitely arent 16 inches long. Lol. And my beardie chews way more than my chameleons do. Lol. I just wanted to hear what other people thought of that.

If I find where I read it, I will definitely site it here!

Oh I love beardies! They are probably one of my favorite reptiles. Congrats and good luck!
I wouldn't mine one but i only had chams for a bit and still have a dog and a hamster and my parents arent up for an animal btw if u r wondering why i said my parents arent up for it its because im a 13yr old and cant buy an animal unless i am 18 so i need my parents permissiom

Yup. That's within range for his length. He's not obese.

How old, and how long has it been?
I've been weighing & measuring weekly since I got him. Now that he's plateauing, I'll probably cut back to monthly.
Just weighed and measured. He’s 16” nose to tail tip and 283 Gm. He was hatched around Christmas, so he’s 7 months old.

I honestly cannot remember where I read it, but it stuck out in my mind as a wow factor, since my chameleons can eat them fine and they definitely arent 16 inches long. Lol. And my beardie chews way more than my chameleons do. Lol. I just wanted to hear what other people thought of that.

If I find where I read it, I will definitely site it here!
Num-num-num-num-num! ?

It's no biggie. Now that it's been mulling around a bit, it kinda strikes a memory, but one of those things likely disputed or debunked by a lot of beardie staff. (Like meal worms not being good for beardies. I know quite a few that feed them regularly for many years without any problems.)

FYI, Opal is a lovely little GIRL! We used the flashlight method last night after bed. She is small, but she is very female. So yay. Her name fits her now ?View attachment 270626

I went back to the first post and wow! Opal has grown SO MUCH in a super short amount of time. She also can eat large crickets and large roaches now....

I hadn’t heard about supers...I gave some to Spike when he was smaller and he had no problem with them. Mealworms I’ve read aren’t suitable feeders for beardies, but I have given him a couple here & there.

Back
Top Bottom