Beardies

Opal had a good time outside today. Though she did try hard to escape her leash. Lol.
30066.jpeg
30065.jpeg
30064.jpeg
30063.jpeg
30062.jpeg

Tail shed, but body hasnt yet. ?
I never saw my entire dragon until after his last shed when he'd stopped growing. He was in continual shed (one part or another) for 7 months, and ate like a pig the whole time. I have no idea where he put it all, except that he was very efficient at converting roaches to lizard. :rolleyes:

At least he's gotten over his superworm addiction. Now he enjoys both with equal relish when he isn't giving me the stinkeye ("What, you expect me to eat THAT?")

Opal's looking fine & healthy. Does she "cuddle"?

She doesn't cuddle us yet. Im hoping for it in the future. Lol. She does lay lazily in my hand now. She is gaining more trust for us.
Yeah, it's slow going. Stinkeye is 10+ months. I've been taking him out for "tummy-timey" (Hogfather joke) for a few months, now. In the past month or so, he does this cuddling/settling in thing and goes to sleep on me. Last night when I put him away for the night, he crawled back on my hand for the first time. ?

But I still get plenty of stinkeye and hissed at when I reach to pick him up. He hisses, but it's short, and you can tell he doesn't really mean it. Habit? Stubbornness? Male thing? ?‍♂️

Yeah, it's slow going. Stinkeye is 10+ months. I've been taking him out for "tummy-timey" (Hogfather joke) for a few months, now. In the past month or so, he does this cuddling/settling in thing and goes to sleep on me. Last night when I put him away for the night, he crawled back on my hand for the first time. ?

But I still get plenty of stinkeye and hissed at when I reach to pick him up. He hisses, but it's short, and you can tell he doesn't really mean it. Habit? Stubbornness? Male thing? ?‍♂️
I never so much as held a beardie until I got Spike, so no idea on temperament. Spike is a sweetheart and I assumed all beardies are. Only once did I get hissed at and that was one of only 2 times that something had spooked him into full fired up defensive mode. He bit me once by accident when I was hand feeding him a raspberry and it hurt! Glad he’s not a biter! I’m limited on cuddle time because...well, jealous cats.

Perhaps I am just lucky, perhaps it is because Opal is female...but she has never hissed or tail whipped at me....but who knows, maybe that time will come with age. ?

I never so much as held a beardie until I got Spike, so no idea on temperament. Spike is a sweetheart and I assumed all beardies are.
They're all individuals, so they're all different. Ol' Stinkeye has had an "attitude" since the day we got him, and it doesn't bother me a bit. He's never tail-whipped, but I've been gaped at, hissed at, and bitten (when he was younger & smaller; he drew blood once). The vocalizations are no big deal—I figured out how to disarm him—but I wouldn't want to get bitten at this size—he could do some serious damage. Fortunately, if one pays attention, they're fairly easy to read (not easy with all reptile species). :)

He's mellowing with age, but I wouldn't call him a sweetheart—just cute. Even my reptile-loathing sister has conceded that. :LOL:

Opal usually sleeps standing up against the glass on her net...tonight sje decided to lay down. Lol
I love it because I just LOVE their fat pot bellies!!

Back
Top Bottom