Beardies

Hey. So I got my bearded dragon about 14 months ago and I am concerned about the size mine looks so much smaller than the other ones I’ve seen about his age. Should I feed more bugs or is there something I am doing wrong. will attach some pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 15
Hey. So I got my bearded dragon about 14 months ago and I am concerned about the size mine looks so much smaller than the other ones I’ve seen about his age. Should I feed more bugs or is there something I am doing wrong. will attach some pictures.
How long is he nose to tip of tail? How often are you giving bugs and about how many? What kind of bugs? Are you giving salad daily? Has he been tested for parasites?

How long is he nose to tip of tail? How often are you giving bugs and about how many? What kind of bugs? Are you giving salad daily? Has he been tested for parasites?
Thanks for the reply I will measure him tomorrow morning. He gets a salad every day. I give him bugs 2 times a week. Do you think that is enough of not enough. He has not been tested for parasites do you think it would be a good idea to get him tested?

Thanks for the reply I will measure him tomorrow morning. He gets a salad every day. I give him bugs 2 times a week. Do you think that is enough of not enough. He has not been tested for parasites do you think it would be a good idea to get him tested?
The bugs twice a week are perfect for his age. When he was a baby and juvenile, how often was he getting bugs? It’s always good to have a parasite check.

The bugs twice a week are perfect for his age. When he was a baby and juvenile, how often was he getting bugs? It’s always good to have a parasite check.
When he was baby I would give him bug every day and offer him a salad every day. He is 15 inches

Last edited:
When he was baby I would give him bug every day and offer him a salad every day. He is 15 inches
A lot of people were and still are overfeeding like 20-30 bugs a day based on those Facebook group recommendations. So a lot of dragons we see are overweight.
There was a lot of whining when dr Howard said we need to feed less and grow slower, some aren’t even changing to his new recommendations.

Hi, I'm actually a bearded dragon breeder. Size can be due to a lot of things, enclosure temps, type of UVB, supplements, what types of bugs he's getting and what you're gutloading them with and genetics. I highly suggest bringing a fecal in, he should get tested twice a year or so whether he seems ill or not but tbh, his weight looks good. He may need to be hydrated a little but he doesn't look over or underweight.

i have a beardie too shes in brumation she started in late december when do you think she will come out
Each one is different. My guy Spike has been brumating from Oct/Nov thru Feb for the past two years, but this year he started earlier and came out earlier. Also, once he goes into his hide, he doesn’t come out at all until completely done. My girl has been going in and out of her hide and brumation every few days it seems. No idea what she’s doing.

Hi, I'm actually a bearded dragon breeder. Size can be due to a lot of things, enclosure temps, type of UVB, supplements, what types of bugs he's getting and what you're gutloading them with and genetics. I highly suggest bringing a fecal in, he should get tested twice a year or so whether he seems ill or not but tbh, his weight looks good. He may need to be hydrated a little but he doesn't look over or underweight.
Thanks I am going to try to get him in for a appointment as soon as I can.

Each one is different. My guy Spike has been brumating from Oct/Nov thru Feb for the past two years, but this year he started earlier and came out earlier. Also, once he goes into his hide, he doesn’t come out at all until completely done. My girl has been going in and out of her hide and brumation every few days it seems. No idea what she’s doing

mine moves around a bit and has came out once i don't know they must be crazy or something lol

they like to come out and eat and bask a lot of the time when they brumate. My Jup has been on and off brumating for months now. Comes out, eats, head bobs, basks. Then goes down for another nap lol. I get all excited he's up just to have him go back in his hide lol

I got a question when do they start to burmate. Mine for the past few days as been sleeping a lot he will wake and eat and basks but than he will go and sleep for almost all of the day.

I got a question when do they start to burmate. Mine for the past few days as been sleeping a lot he will wake and eat and basks but than he will go and sleep for almost all of the day.
I believe it’s usually in the fall and winter. Right now my two would be driving me crazy if I let them. One day they are awake and eat and the next they are sleepy logs in their hides. I’m just taking it as it comes. 🤷‍♀️

Same he is sleeping some days than he wants to come out and is awake some days.
Hopefully soon they’ll all put this brumation silliness aside and return to their jobs. The bugs and salads aren’t going to eat themselves!
I have hope that Spike might be done…maybe? He was jumping around and all over the place…until he finally passed his brumation poo. He felt so good after he even was head bobbing!

Back
Top Bottom