Beardies

Oh, he's definitely up, and after ten days, the dam finally broke.

This little barstad has been eating as usual—including another bowl of olive-oiled dubias this morning, but hadn't 💩ed since he got up 10 long days ago. It's been daily soaks in 100+F water and front to back tummy massages. I was getting worried, so this morning I called the vet and got an appointment for Wed. morning drop-off.

Then I had this feeling I should keep up with the warm soaks & squeezin's, and 15 minutes into it (and third squeezin') he let go... 💩💩 💩 💩💩....

So... called back the vet & cancelled the appt. All is well again in Stinkeye land. 😁
(And boy does he look relieved. Now Missus can take him out for some lap & window time again.)

Oh, he's definitely up, and after ten days, the dam finally broke.

This little barstad has been eating as usual—including another bowl of olive-oiled dubias this morning, but hadn't 💩ed since he got up 10 long days ago. It's been daily soaks in 100+F water and front to back tummy massages. I was getting worried, so this morning I called the vet and got an appointment for Wed. morning drop-off.

Then I had this feeling I should keep up with the warm soaks & squeezin's, and 15 minutes into it (and third squeezin') he let go... 💩💩 💩 💩💩....

So... called back the vet & cancelled the appt. All is well again in Stinkeye land. 😁
(And boy does he look relieved. Now Missus can take him out for some lap & window time again.)
So glad he’s stayed up and things are getting back to normal. That must have been one giant 💩!

So glad he’s stayed up and things are getting back to normal. That must have been one giant 💩!
In college in the '70s, the term would have been, "Screamin' Willie". :rolleyes:
I guess I'm not surprised he had difficulty moving it out—just glad I was finally able to help him.

Last edited:
Hoo-Boy! Sumpin's Up Happenin' Here!

Stinkeye woke up at 6am with his lights, and basked for an hour. Then he went totally friggin' nutz.
Bob-bob-bob... down the mountain, run around the enclosure, climb up the mountain again (the hard way—straight up the bricks in the back), bob, bob, bob, turn around 180°, bob, bob, bob in that direction.... rinse, repeat... like 10 times. He's been at it now for 3 hours. Where does he think we're hiding all the females?

Of course we know what's going on—he's almost a year & a half now, recently woke up from his first brumation, and purged... he's feeling MUCH better now. :rolleyes:

Somehow, the little sucker even knocked the hygrometer right off the wall—and he can't even reach it!

Hey, AmandaS—Does Opal bob?

do female bearded dragons bob?

Stinkeye woke up at 6am with his lights, and basked for an hour. Then he went totally friggin' nutz.
Bob-bob-bob... down the mountain, run around the enclosure, climb up the mountain again (the hard way—straight up the bricks in the back), bob, bob, bob, turn around 180°, bob, bob, bob in that direction.... rinse, repeat... like 10 times. He's been at it now for 3 hours. Where does he think we're hiding all the females?

Of course we know what's going on—he's almost a year & a half now, recently woke up from his first brumation, and purged... he's feeling MUCH better now. :rolleyes:

Somehow, the little sucker even knocked the hygrometer right off the wall—and he can't even reach it!

I havent found her doing it yet. Shes not even a year old yet, so she has time to figure it out.

I havent found her doing it yet. Shes not even a year old yet, so she has time to figure it out.
Stinkeye started bobbing & stomping at around 6 mo. IIRC (Not unusual according to BeardedDragon.org—some have strarted as young as 3 mo.)

But he's yet to wave. Thought I saw him do it once, but it was so fast IDK if it counted. Could have been a half-hearted stomp.

Wow! What a wild man! He knows there just has to be a lady somewhere.
Spike is only a couple of months younger than Stinkeye and I’ve never seen any bobbing, stomping or waving. He just jumps.

Another first. For as long as we've had him, Stinkeye has often climbed the sheer vertical sides of his mountain (like yesterday), but—though it should be easier to climb—he has never even tried climbing the slate backsplash (back wall).

Well, I happened to get up and walk through that room a few minutes ago, and there he was—clinging to the top of the backsplash. I grabbed the camera to document, but the little bugger caught me and jumped off before I could even focus. 😖

In addition to the hygrometer yesterday, today he pulled down one of the Tillandsia that's been anchored in the backsplash for over a year. 😖

I'd have a talk with him, but... Y'know...

This morning he stomped all over the new plants we put in there... Prickly Pear, Pothos, Aloe Vera, Spider, and a Gasteria. Just out of spite/frustration—the little A-hat.
1612631329373.jpeg

He pretty much totaled what—yesterday—was a beautiful lush bushy Spider Plant.
We think he used it to get to—and bat down—the Tillandsias.

Now he's looking all pleased with himself...
1612631403634.jpeg

Ok...it’s just possible I have a screw loose, but I think Spike knows his name. A few times when I’ve been across the room and said his name, he turned to look. Doesn’t move if I’m just babbling until I say his name.
Interesting... :unsure:

There is some evidence to suggest they recognize us.
Lizards Do Really Learn To Recognize People

Do you speak his name when feeding, taking him out, etc., and could he be associating that word (sound) with food, affection, etc.?

Does he respond the same way when anyone else speaks his name?

Ok...it’s just possible I have a screw loose, but I think Spike knows his name. A few times when I’ve been across the room and said his name, he turned to look. Doesn’t move if I’m just babbling until I say his name.

Interesting... :unsure:

There is some evidence to suggest they recognize us.
Lizards Do Really Learn To Recognize People

Do you speak his name when feeding, taking him out, etc., and could he be associating that word (sound) with food, affection, etc.?

Does he respond the same way when anyone else speaks his name?
This is what I was going to say...they suggest they can learn their names.
Screenshot_20210209-075853_Google.jpg

This is what I was going to say...they suggest they can learn their names.
Pretty much what I was getting at. But is it their "name" (as we understand names), or is it more like (drawing an analogy here) Pavlovian response to a particular aural stimulus? :unsure:
IDK, but that's what my veterinarian friends would ask. 🤷‍♂️

Another test might be if 2 or more beardies knew their... identifiers from each other, like dogs can.
IDK that either (about BDs). Just spitballin'—it's an intriguing area.

Last edited:
Well, it's been a week (9 days) since "The Great Whoosh," and he hadn't gone since, so time for another soak. This was much quicker. 5 min. in the lukewarm water and that characteristic body-down-tail-up posture—followed by a bigger mess than last week's (but he's been eating radish tops, bok-choy, and dubias all week (3-4x). No pics, but we both estimate 3" urate followed by 4" 💩.

He's feeling MUCH better now. 😁

I'm thinking that now that he's up & active (and BOY is he active!), his kidneys may have kicked-in to overtime to clean out all that brumation... crud?

Anyhow, he's a madman this week. It's actually more fun 🤗 than watching him just bask. 🥱

My beardies both knew their names....I'm certain of it.

Chameleons seem to recognize people too....but I don't think they hear well enough to understand language. I went to buy a chameleon one day and the store clerk wouldn't let me handle it. He said it was mean and crazy. I said it looked quite calm to me and I wouldn't buy it unless I could handle it. He refused but just then the store owner came in and came over to the cage. The chameleon went crazy. I asked if I could handle it and he said sure because he knew me well. He left and I picked up a calm chameleon. When the guy came back to see how it was going the chameleon went crazy again!

I had an iguana..she knew a few words...if she was trying to dig her way out under the gate on the room doorway, for instance, I would say "up" to her and she would quit digging and go up over the gate.

I could say to her "did you go poop" and she would go to the litter box and poop.

Back
Top Bottom