Beardies

As for you 3 trouble makers lol. I don't know if I could handle the brumation. I would freak out all the time that something was wrong. I am bad enough with the boys and I actually know what I am doing with them and what to expect. I would make yall nuts if I got a beardie. I think if I did not have my dog I would be more open to it but she would be all about the beardie and I would feel bad not taking it out as much as I should.
IME, beardies are MUCH simpler than chams; that's why I got the beardie first.
Their requirements are a little different (different mind-set), so I'd suggest a different room than the chams, though I know a lot of folks that keep all kinds of reptiles in the same room—it just depends on how you set things up.

I've not freaked out from brumation. Did my homework (like you would do) so I knew pretty much what to expect. It's my Missus who's a little impatient. I expected 2-4 months (if at all) and was hoping for the shorter. As it's happening, he's of a mind to take the longer end of things. This can actually be influenced by how you keep them. If you keep the lights on longer, and temps & humidity correct, they don't tend to brumate for as long—if at all. OTOH, brumation saves a lot on the feed bills!

I don't think you'd be making US nuts; more likely the folks on the beardie forum! 😆

Ol' Furface is curious, as is Ol' Stinkeye, but they pretty much leave each other alone. There are still rooms & areas exclusive to each. I also know of a woman with 4 (small) dogs and a beardie, and the beardie is boss of all. It depends on animals' individual personalities.

That's quite impressive. Who all will be living in that?
B3760E09-1B3B-46B4-BC32-2440EE793279.jpeg
Khalessi ❤️.

Sir Bradley. This is my jealous boy ❤️.

E3FAB93F-3E2E-4B88-B135-4F4F01EA22A2.jpeg

AC5173FE-BBE3-4EED-A642-F7CC95DAF510.jpeg

Lucy Lou Who ❤️.

It appears that I miscounted. I just checked the calendar again, and it's been 16 weeks yesterday since I wrote "Brumation" in the date block. Bit of a relief; I thought it was 5 months, but it's only been 4.

Dragged him out from under his mountain for a bath and tummy massage (to try to stimulate... y'know... 💩) but again no luck—just a couple of dragon tubfart bubbles... :confused: They're usually a precursor, but not this time.

I was a little concerned about one side of his neck waddle/pouch. Thought it looked different and might be a tumor or something, but it turned out to be just the angle he was holding his head at. When I picked him up and palpated, everything was the same on both sides.

Patted him dry and put him back on his basking perch atop his mountain.

1610221264500.png

He dried himself out, climbed down and crawled back underneath...

The long wait goes on. :( I think this may be the suckiest part of keeping one of these guys.

It appears that I miscounted. I just checked the calendar again, and it's been 16 weeks yesterday since I wrote "Brumation" in the date block. Bit of a relief; I thought it was 5 months, but it's only been 4.

Dragged him out from under his mountain for a bath and tummy massage (to try to stimulate... y'know... 💩) but again no luck—just a couple of dragon tubfart bubbles... :confused: They're usually a precursor, but not this time.

I was a little concerned about one side of his neck waddle/pouch. Thought it looked different and might be a tumor or something, but it turned out to be just the angle he was holding his head at. When I picked him up and palpated, everything was the same on both sides.

Patted him dry and put him back on his basking perch atop his mountain.

View attachment 288338

He dried himself out, climbed down and crawled back underneath...

The long wait goes on. :( I think this may be the suckiest part of keeping one of these guys.
He’s so handsome. Hopefully soon he’ll decide to wake up and stay awake.

Mine used to worship the plant god (one particular echeveria).

N.B. Those dial thermometers are notoriously inaccurate—some as much as 20 degrees off.
Digital thermometers with probes have a tighter tolerance—usually ±1-2 degrees.

Mine used to worship the plant god (one particular echeveria).

N.B. Those dial thermometers are notoriously inaccurate—some as much as 20 degrees off.
Digital thermometers with probes have a tighter tolerance—usually ±1-2 degrees.
I know the gauge is 💩 but she is technically the hubbies and anything I say or recommend gets dismissed 🙄 I suggested going bioactive for her and I got shot down with the response it will get too humid and she will get an RI.

I know the gauge is 💩 but she is technically the hubbies and anything I say or recommend gets dismissed 🙄 I suggested going bioactive for her and I got shot down with the response it will get too humid and she will get an RI.
I'm kinda in agreement with the 2nd part. Some beardies are ok with 40-60%; others not so much.
Generally, they're considered arid, but when you look at their range...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_bearded_dragon
1610807396977.png

... they're really more temperate.

Still, while I'm fine with chameleons in bioactives (if that's the keeper's choice—it's not mine) I do try to discourage bioactive for beardies. Just my own opinion.

I'm kinda in agreement with the 2nd part. Some beardies are ok with 40-60%; others not so much.
Generally, they're considered arid, but when you look at their range...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_bearded_dragon
View attachment 289176

... they're really more temperate.

Still, while I'm fine with chameleons in bioactives (if that's the keeper's choice—it's not mine) I do try to discourage bioactive for beardies. Just my own opinion.
I tried bioactive for Spike and he was p*ssed! I keep my leos bioactive, which also come from an arid area and they do just fine. I‘m very sparing with water and water only the plants and one small area far from their main hides for the isopods.

Ol' Stinkeye's enclosure is (or was) pretty spartan; all the plants were succulents, yet even then it was too dry. So I added some non-succulent plants, and the humidity climbed right up where it's supposed to be for a beardie. Hmm... come to think of it, I wonder if the humidity has anything to do with his looooong nap. :unsure:

I'll look into that. ☝🤓

Let's try this again... :rolleyes:
He got up Friday, then went back to sleep.
He got up Saturday, so I gave him a nice soak, and he went back to sleep, but he was up a little longer than he was Friday.
Today he got up, and he's still up! 🤞He even ate a little bok choi.
He's spent most of the day worshiping his flood light.
Showing some stress marks though... :(

1611521638303.png

Let's try this again... :rolleyes:
He got up Friday, then went back to sleep.
He got up Saturday, so I gave him a nice soak, and he went back to sleep, but he was up a little longer than he was Friday.
Today he got up, and he's still up! 🤞He even ate a little bok choi.
He's spent most of the day worshiping his flood light.
Showing some stress marks though... :(

View attachment 290216
C’mon fella! You can do it! You’ve got to stay awake! Mommy & daddy miss you! 😁

Back
Top Bottom