Beardies

Well, I guess it’s official now. Spike is brumating. He’s been in his hide for 3 days now. He’s tucked himself into a corner and under the little blanket I made him. Took a quick pic while checking to make sure he’s ok. Yes, I tucked him back in after checking him. :) Just wish he would have taken a good poop first. Wondering how long this is going to last. :unsure:
9FCFDF86-0C2E-47BB-AAD8-655C97666DF9.jpeg

Well, I guess it’s official now. Spike is brumating. He’s been in his hide for 3 days now. He’s tucked himself into a corner and under the little blanket I made him. Took a quick pic while checking to make sure he’s ok. Yes, I tucked him back in after checking him. :) Just wish he would have taken a good poop first. Wondering how long this is going to last. :unsure:
View attachment 275891
So cute ><

View attachment 275891
Awww, sweet little buddy.

If you should ever get tired of changing the paper towel (or she decides to tear it up daily) I can highly recommend ceramic tile w/o grout. Cleans up in a snap (well, a quick wipe) and a spritz w/ Nature's Miracle for Stinky Dragons. ;) Works well in the Zen enclosures.
I've been thinking about tile since you shared pictures of yours. It is visually appealing whereas paper towels look tacky to me.

I've been thinking about tile since you shared pictures of yours. It is visually appealing whereas paper towels look tacky to me.
Since it's a rough natural surface (vs. glazed) it also helps keep his nails short, scrapes shed off his belly, and helps keep his femoral glands clear along with the other rocks & bricks he climbs on. :)

Ol' Stinkeye has just done the same. I (re)checked several sources and the Bearded Dragon Handbook, and he seems to fit the 5 signs.

In accordance with multiple sources, I've turned off his basking light and UVB for the duration.
Unfortunately, he did eat a small meal of roaches just before going into his fugue, so I'll be bathing and weighing him weekly, and providing a few wet greens on occasion until he decides he's had enough, and comes out to greet the world again.

Sources say that when he comes out, he'll likely be in the mood to mate... Oh, joy. :rolleyes:

Ol' Stinkeye has just done the same. I (re)checked several sources and the Bearded Dragon Handbook, and he seems to fit the 5 signs.

In accordance with multiple sources, I've turned off his basking light and UVB for the duration.
Unfortunately, he did eat a small meal of roaches just before going into his fugue, so I'll be bathing and weighing him weekly, and providing a few wet greens on occasion until he decides he's had enough, and comes out to greet the world again.

Sources say that when he comes out, he'll likely be in the mood to mate... Oh, joy. :rolleyes:
Congrats. Yippee. ? How exciting.?
I’m absolutely hating this. I miss Spike. ?
After many fruitless searches and an unanswered query on the beardie forum, I finally learned that Spike isn’t in a full brumation. I’ve been wondering what is going on since he sleeps for 2-3 days, wakes, eats a little, basks, poops and hangs out for a day or two and then goes back into his hide to sleep more. A full brumation is when they sleep for weeks to months at a time I guess. Whatever it is Spike is doing, it sucks. The only good part is it buys me a little more time to upgrade and plan his tank.
In my search for brumation info, I did also learn that male beardies who don’t have a lady improvise with various objects. You might want to get Ol‘ Stinkeye a little plush lizard as a wake up present.?

He "uses" his plants. :rolleyes: This started out as more of a semi-brumation as well. Whether founded or not, I'm chalking it up to his breeding (2 morphs, suspected inbreeding). He acted as you describe for the first week or two; that's why he ate some bugs. This past week, he's settled down to sleeping (exact same position without moving a muscle) for 2-3 days at a time, then he'll shift around & hunker down for another few days.

Had to check a few times to make sure he was still breathing. Sometimes we'll check and he'll crack an eye open and give us the ol' stinkeye, then go back to sleep.

Missus misses him more than I do, but I think that's because I was more girded for this.
"How long will it last?" she asks...

"A few weeks up to 4 months."

"WHAT"

"I marked the start on the kitchen calendar."
?‍♂️

So that’s how he destroyed his plants! ? I guess whatever floats their boats.
Maybe have your missus make him a soft little blanket to snuggle into...I heard they like them a lot and it might make her feel a little better. I made one for Spike and he seems to like it.
Here’s to hoping our boys don’t sleep for months.

So that’s how he destroyed his plants! ? I guess whatever floats their boats.
That may have knocked off a leaf or 6 (they're mostly succulents) but the major destruction came from chowing down, general trampling (he likes to play "The Floor is Lava") and pulling them out while chowing down.

He has a granite boulder and lots of brick & stone surfaces for keeping his nails & pores clean. Haven't seen any plugs or evidence (yet).

Opal's at an age where it's easier to tell her sex from the size & shape of her head. :)

Ol' Stinkeye grew fastest between 10 & 30 wks—some (several) weeks putting on as much as 30 grams.
All of a sudden he tapered off both weight gain & food consumption.

He’s awake!!! Yes! Four days now being awake, super alert and his normal appetite! Sadly though, I think I’m the one that caused his brumation thing. As his tank is only 18” tall, I was afraid he’d burn and moved his uvb from hanging inside to sitting on top. On a hunch, I moved it back inside the tank last week and he hasn’t gone back to sleep so......? I’m a dolt.
Here he is glaring at me judgementally. He forgIves me though and was so sweet when we went outside...he rested his chin on my cheek. ?
535E72D6-E0B1-4387-A66E-5FEE9C02FAEF.jpeg

He’s awake!!!
Great, did he smell the :coffee: ❓:D

Sadly though, I think I’m the one that caused his brumation thing.
How long was he "out" all told? I'm still reading, but some sources say it's healthier if they do brumate each year if they're so inclined. Ol' Stinkeye hasn't moved in 5 or 6 days—he's scheduled for a bath today. I hate to distrub [sic] him, but he's still got some nun-nums in his gut.

Here he is glaring at me judgementally.
Yup, that's the stinkeye (one of them, anyway... :rolleyes: )

...he rested his chin on my cheek. ?
Egad! :eek: Haven't you been following the current thread on Salmonella? ?
...or has Spike been tested specifically for it? ?

Back
Top Bottom