Salmonilla

Ramrod

Chameleon Enthusiast
One of the questions asked on a pre-vet visit was "has your reptile ever been tested for salmonilla?" Just wondering how frequently this is found in chameleons. I have not seen anyone posting on this subject so thinking it may not be a concern among chams? Anyone care to comment on this?
Thanks

Last edited:
Yes they do, I am a former “bacteria wrangler” ? and tested/cultured 2 unrelated chameleons of mine. They both had it. I wash my hands after handling any of my chameleons lol!
8868D1FA-2C1A-41A8-B0E0-AB48FC583EFA.png

Uhhh i thought all reptiles had it, i thought it was part of the natural gut flora. Just keep your critters clean, you will get sick from a dirty dog, cat, lizard, or just a lizard that decided to walk in its own poo, and then on your hand.

Also club #doesntwashhandsafterhandling
Well, that's kind of confusing then because if it were a natural occurrence why would a vet be asking that question?
That's what seemed kind of weird to me.?

Well, that's kind of confusing then because if it were a natural occurrence why would a vet be asking that question?
That's what seemed kind of weird to me.?
Yeah I don't know why a vet would ask that since according to the cdc,
"One important germ is Salmonella. Salmonella is normally in the digestive tract of healthy reptiles and amphibians, but it can cause infections in people who have contact with reptiles, amphibians, and their environments, including the water from terrariums or aquariums where they live"

Yeah I don't know why a vet would ask that since according to the cdc,
"One important germ is Salmonella. Salmonella is normally in the digestive tract of healthy reptiles and amphibians, but it can cause infections in people who have contact with reptiles, amphibians, and their environments, including the water from terrariums or aquariums where they live"
Yea, I just learned something new today. I love this place. Thanks for setting things straight. This was from a new vet I was checking out. Maybe not the one I want to see.?

Interesting, did you check just because you were curious or was the cham showing any odd symptoms?
My first Cham was sick when I did the culture but it didn’t show any abnormal Pathogens and the salmonella was in low numbers. The plate in the pic was isolated from my second Cham. He was being treated for coccidia so I thought I would look at his poo too. Same kind of bacteria and low colony count.

The person that I know that had it got it from a horse with salmonella likely during a resuscitation attempt. The horse was in isolation but as it was coding protocols may have been skipped. She was in the hospital for 2 weeks and it was dicey there for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom