Salmonilla

Uhhh i thought all reptiles had it, i thought it was part of the natural gut flora. Just keep your critters clean, you will get sick from a dirty dog, cat, lizard, or just a lizard that decided to walk in its own poo, and then on your hand.
TMK, sources don't agree if it's automatically present in all reptile guts.
salmonella in reptiles (search of articles)
salmonella in reptiles (scholarly articles)

The way it's been put to me by several veterinarians is to assume they all carry it, and use common sense hygiene precautions (below). If an animal has it, it should show up on a fecal exam, but may not if the count is low. It's more likely to be found in WC than CB, but there can be exceptions both ways.
  • Wear a mask, face shield, and biohazard suit whenever handling reptiles.
  • Avoid gatherings of large numbers of reptiles.
  • Keep social distancing of at least 67 feet from reptiles at all times.
  • No French kissing reptiles. (In fact, no kissing at all.)
  • Chugging bleach will kill both salmonella and you.
  • Wash hands after handling for at least 20 seconds. ;)
I have IBS, which I'm told when flaring, is similar to salmonella, but IBS can last longer.
Not my idea of fun & games. :sick: ? (? X 10)

TMK, sources don't agree if it's automatically present in all reptile guts.
salmonella in reptiles (search of articles)
salmonella in reptiles (scholarly articles)

The way it's been put to me by several veterinarians is to assume they all carry it, and use common sense hygiene precautions (below). If an animal has it, it should show up on a fecal exam, but may not if the count is low. It's more likely to be found in WC than CB, but there can be exceptions both ways.
  • Wear a mask, face shield, and biohazard suit whenever handling reptiles.
  • Avoid gatherings of large numbers of reptiles.
  • Keep social distancing of at least 67 feet from reptiles at all times.
  • No French kissing reptiles. (In fact, no kissing at all.)
  • Chugging bleach will kill both salmonella and you.
  • Wash hands after handling for at least 20 seconds. ;)
I have IBS, which I'm told when flaring, is similar to salmonella, but IBS can last longer.
Not my idea of fun & games. :sick: ? (? X 10)

Ive heard of desalmonallaizing beardies, and in some cases it comes back. Ive also heard in veileds they are not born with the ability to digest plants, they get that from accidentally eating lizard poop. To the point that if certain antibiotics are used, you need to repoop them by feeding them a bit of poop from a donor.

But i just live in filth. last night it was; get home, hold Cockatiel so can give daily heart meds, find tegu in closet and put back in tub for bed, and put vizsla in tub so smaller family member can give it a medicated bath for itchy belly. Then plop in front of computer and eat hand full of almonds...

Honestly the only time since the 90's that i got salmonella was when i mixed up the "anole storage" cup with a drinking cup when i was cleaning out a tank. Yea dont store anoles in a lidded cup for an hour, then fill it with water and drink it...

How is it rare for chameleons if it is present in all reptiles' digestive tract?

One of my vets has a reptile farm in Indonesia and has shipped allot of reptiles back and forth. The reptiles have to have test for different things before they can leave the country, one being salmonella and he’s the one that told me he rarely sees it in chameleons and that I’d have a better chance of getting it from my food than my chameleons.

The person that I know that had it got it from a horse with salmonella likely during a resuscitation attempt. The horse was in isolation but as it was coding protocols may have been skipped. She was in the hospital for 2 weeks and it was dicey there for a bit.
?

You know I get so grossed out when I see ppl post videos and pics of them kissing these lizards ?? and ppl at cuddle with there tegus in there bed ewwwww they are covered in poop. I’m a germaphobic sorry?

I am homeschooling this year because digital didn't work for us, plus as a former special education teacher, I didn't feel like digital school was appropriate for my kindergartener.

I'm always looking for their natural curiosity to introduce subjects because the information is absorbed so well. If they are curious, I run with it even though I didn't plan on teaching about that subject during that time.

We were watching our veiled chameleon eat and so many questions came up about his tongue and how it is used. I found an interesting video that explained this well, but in the video the man held a cricket in between his lips and allowed the chameleon to shoot it with his tongue while it was in between his lips. We were all pretty grossed out by the entire scenario, especially the live cricket being held in between his lips. When my husband got home, one of the first things they told him was we watched a video where someone held a cricket in his mouth. ?

We were watching our veiled chameleon eat and so many questions came up about his tongue and how it is used. I found an interesting video that explained this well, but in the video the man held a cricket in between his lips and allowed the chameleon to shoot it with his tongue while it was in between his lips. We were all pretty grossed out by the entire scenario, especially the live cricket being held in between his lips. When my husband got home, one of the first things they told him was we watched a video where someone held a cricket in his mouth. ?
Can't say we're germophobes. Don't get grossed out by dog kisses, even though we know where that tongue may have been... Though we wouldn't let him kiss us when he had coccidia. Poochasceptic logic & all.

...but he can't sleep in our bed—more for dog hair than germs. And he'll take a treat from between our lips.

But I wouldn't consider anything like that with a reptile. Can't say it's "gross"—more like common sense hygiene (salmonella, etc.)

I do not remember where I read this, but I guess almost all reptile have parasites and bacteria etc..... Its just that their immune system has them under check. When they start getting sick, lets say from parasite or bacteria, its because their immune system failed to suppress it.

I do not remember where I read this, but I guess almost all reptile have parasites and bacteria etc..... Its just that their immune system has them under check. When they start getting sick, lets say from parasite or bacteria, its because their immune system failed to suppress it.

Sounds right. When you get a fecal back, its not ZERO ZERO ZERO.

But I wouldn't consider anything like that with a reptile. Can't say it's "gross"—more like common sense hygiene (salmonella, etc.)

We don't feed crickets in my house, the cricket in between a person's lips is gross, lol. The cricket isn't cooked (not that I would eat it then but I'm not judging those who do, carry on with your cricket eating selves) just thinking about raw critters in my mouth grosses me out. ?

I tried to sell chams to a popular pet outlet in Phoenix, and they said I would need to certify them as salmonella free. This was not in my range of expertise.

We don't feed crickets in my house, the cricket in between a person's lips is gross, lol. The cricket isn't cooked (not that I would eat it then but I'm not judging those who do, carry on with your cricket eating selves) just thinking about raw critters in my mouth grosses me out. ?
That's kinda the way I feel about raw seafood sushi—or gagh. ?

Back
Top Bottom