Beardies

I’m torn between getting the Zen for Spike or just making my own.
Having built one (and spending far too much on it :rolleyes: ) I can attest to two things.
1. Building one won't save you any money.
2. However, you'll get exactly what you want, and more bang for your buck. (Better quality).

I've mentioned it before, but there are some kits for around the same price that I think are at least worth a look-see:
Talking Serpents
Reptile Factory Sorry, this one's pre-built, and in CA :oops:
For DIY plans, I think what you want are crossfire enclosure plans; that's what I based mine on (with substantial modifications :rolleyes: ).

If I can help, you know where to find me. ;)

I do think we will like the zen enclosure. It arrives tomorrow.

I also plan on, a little further down the road, building my own with ledges and such in the back, and that is larger for Opal. I cant really imagine her living in a 4 ft box. Although, thats what outside time is for too.

Having built one (and spending far too much on it :rolleyes: ) I can attest to two things.
1. Building one won't save you any money.
2. However, you'll get exactly what you want, and more bang for your buck. (Better quality).

I've mentioned it before, but there are some kits for around the same price that I think are at least worth a look-see:
Talking Serpents
Reptile Factory Sorry, this one's pre-built, and in CA :oops:
For DIY plans, I think what you want are crossfire enclosure plans; that's what I based mine on (with substantial modifications :rolleyes: ).

If I can help, you know where to find me. ;)
I checked out those sites and like Zen better. If I diy, it’s so I can go larger than 4’. However, I like that Zen has a bracket that enables you to attach 2 of their tanks side by side to make an 8’ long tank. I also like their 4x4x2’ as I could add some climbing features for Spike.
With all of these darned cats and big dog, it’s impossible for me to let Spike roam freely around the house. Looking forward to December when stepdaughter gives me back my reptile room and I can let him have some free roam time. When I take him outside, he goes into wild attack mode on me instead of getting exercise and exploring.

I checked out those sites and like Zen better. If I diy, it’s so I can go larger than 4’. However, I like that Zen has a bracket that enables you to attach 2 of their tanks side by side to make an 8’ long tank. I also like their 4x4x2’ as I could add some climbing features for Spike.
With all of these darned cats and big dog, it’s impossible for me to let Spike roam freely around the house. Looking forward to December when stepdaughter gives me back my reptile room and I can let him have some free roam time. When I take him outside, he goes into wild attack mode on me instead of getting exercise and exploring.
When you have your reptile room, how do you manage his free time? Do you watch him the whole time, or have a makeshift playpen, or what?? Just curious, not opposed to watching my little Opes. Lol

When you have your reptile room, how do you manage his free time? Do you watch him the whole time, or have a makeshift playpen, or what?? Just curious, not opposed to watching my little Opes. Lol
No idea yet as stepdaughter moves back in before I got Spike. It’s a somewhat small bedroom so I thought I’d block the closet off and just let him wander in there freely. There won’t be any bed or deep furniture that he can get stuck under.

No idea yet as stepdaughter moves back in before I got Spike. It’s a somewhat small bedroom so I thought I’d block the closet off and just let him wander in there freely. There won’t be any bed or deep furniture that he can get stuck under.
I have a spare room (usually I have my neices in there when they come over) that I have been debating on making a lizard room. Then I wouldnt put furniture in there...I would just have the enclosures...i feel like I could put tarp or plastic down on the carpet so there is easy clean ups to any messes, and it would be safe to let Opal roam.

I have a spare room (usually I have my neices in there when they come over) that I have been debating on making a lizard room. Then I wouldnt put furniture in there...I would just have the enclosures...i feel like I could put tarp or plastic down on the carpet so there is easy clean ups to any messes, and it would be safe to let Opal roam.
I’ll be making sure he does a good poop before I set him free! Planning on buying a nice carpet for the room.

I like that Zen has a bracket that enables you to attach 2 of their tanks side by side to make an 8’ long tank. I also like their 4x4x2’ as I could add some climbing features for Spike.
I must have missed that first option; I know the 4x2x2s are stackable.
The 4x2x4 is new also, but you have to think through your lighting. It's also quite a drop should Spike fall 3+ feet.

I think I already mentioned mine is 5'x2'x3'H because of the baltic birch. I put a ceiling in at 25" or so to include a storage area above for bulbs, supplements, meters, etc., and to hide the lighting & wiring, but that was optional.

The Missus lets Ol' Stinkeye run around her quilting studio, but he mostly chills looking out the window.
Now she's trying to figure out where to put a box for a Russian (sized) tortoise... :rolleyes:

I must have missed that first option; I know the 4x2x2s are stackable.
The 4x2x4 is new also, but you have to think through your lighting. It's also quite a drop should Spike fall 3+ feet.

I think I already mentioned mine is 5'x2'x3'H because of the baltic birch. I put a ceiling in at 25" or so to include a storage area above for bulbs, supplements, meters, etc., and to hide the lighting & wiring, but that was optional.
The little stinker is indestructible! He obviously jumped from his enclosure when he escaped...a good 3+ ft high. He frequently takes suicide leaps or at least tries to when I have him on my shoulder and has at least twice jumped from me onto concrete, a good 4+ ft fall! He is crazy and very very lucky that he hasn’t gotten hurt. He makes his little lizard guardian angels work overtime and scares the ? out of me.

I've heard they can break ribs that way, and since they're so thin & flexible, it's hard to tell.
Maybe I'm just too nervous...
Oh no...not too nervous. I’m just as nervous and he freaks me out when he does his suicide leaps. Is another reason why I don’t take him out often. He’s crazy, fearless and unbelievably quick and I absolutely don’t want him to get hurt.

Oh no...not too nervous. I’m just as nervous and he freaks me out when he does his suicide leaps. Is another reason why I don’t take him out often. He’s crazy, fearless and unbelievably quick and I absolutely don’t want him to get hurt.
:cautious: Then why would you consider such a tall enclosure for him? :unsure:

:cautious: Then why would you consider such a tall enclosure for him? :unsure:
Honestly, I guess I didn’t think past providing him with more vertical surface and climbing opportunities. I believe this is one of those, “Doh!” moments. :rolleyes:
I do very much appreciate you putting it into proper perspective for me. :) So, that eliminates one choice for my little daredevil. I’ll probably take the easy way out of my dilemma and get the 4x2x2’ Zen.

I like that Zen has a bracket that enables you to attach 2 of their tanks side by side to make an 8’ long tank.
This feature intrigues me (though I still haven't found it on their site). When I designed my 5 x 2 x 3,
I also designed an 8 x 2 x 2. I gave both designs to a cabinet maker to price obtaining & cutting the lumber for me. The 5' baltic birch design was about $100 less, which really surprised me; I honestly thought I'd be building the 8 footer, with a moveable partition. The beardie was supposed to go on one side, and a uromastyx on the other.

So much for that plan, but I still have both designs for refining... :)

This feature intrigues me (though I still haven't found it on their site). When I designed my 5 x 2 x 3,
I also designed an 8 x 2 x 2. I gave both designs to a cabinet maker to price obtaining & cutting the lumber for me. The 5' baltic birch design was about $100 less, which really surprised me; I honestly thought I'd be building the 8 footer, with a moveable partition. The beardie was supposed to go on one side, and a uromastyx on the other.

So much for that plan, but I still have both designs for refining... :)
Here you go. https://www.zenhabitats.com/collections/bearded-dragon-enclosures/products/extension-kit

So @MissSkittles our zen enclosure arrived. It is nice! It wasnt as easy to put together as I thought it would be after I saw the super simple design. You just align the metal frame up, and hold it together with a 3-way T. It pops right in (theoretically) however, my daughter couldnt do it...and I made my husband help me. We needed a hammer to tap the plastic T pieces into the aluminum framing, but it all went okay after we figured that out. I like it, it is very sturdy and "elegant" for a beardy.

She is not as small as she looks with all this space! Hahahah
0821201442a.jpg
0821201440b.jpg
0821201442e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom