Baytril and resp troubles?

BIGGUN

Avid Member
Well it looks like I'm gonna get to experience it all little by little. I purchased a female panther in Dec and she was severly sick at the time. I got her back to health and she has gone as far as producing 21 eggs for me and still going strong.

Now I have another female that has been doing great aside from being picky about eating only crickets. :rolleyes:

Well just now as I was putting water in the dripper I noticed a foamy spit like liquid at the corners of her mouth that has never been there before. As she moves and climbs around the "spit" becomes more and less noticable and will blow a bubble at times. My first thought was resporitory infection. I took her out to listen to her breathing and sure enough there is a wheezing and popping noise. She shows no other symptoms yet. She is eating great (cricket thing) and drinking fine. She is active all day and never sleeps during the day.

So with all that said I think I caught it early enough to help her.

My question is that when the vet was trying to shotgun treat my 1st female she gave me baytril liquid to administer orally. I have alot left because as she got worse I had to go to injections.
Should I start this girl on the oral Baytril now? It has been in the frig and expires in Oct of this year. My vet is now closed until Monday.

If so, at what dose?

The bottle says:

Date: 12/29/2007 Exp: 10/30/2008
Quantity: 1
Baytril Liquid - Per CC Give 0.01 cc's by mouth
once daily for 10 days.

The 1st girl's weight at the time of the prescription was 30 grams. The girl I need to treat now is 60 grams. Should I just double the dose to 0.02 cc's?

Thanks,
Kevin

If you stuck the syringe directly into the liquid when treating the first chameleon then I wouldn't use it.

Kinyonga,

It was administered orally. I did draw it out with the syringe but after giving it to her it was rinsed in hot water and dried before using again do you think the pathogens could be transmitted through the meds?

Interesting point.......man, I hate having to wait to get her to the vet. Then again they didn't seem very knowledgable with my first Cham.

Thanks,
Kevin

First of all, I do not advocate self medication without being seen by a vet. For example, in the instance of baytril and amikacin, if given to a dehydrated animal, can cause kidney failure....

That being said, the dosage for most reptiles is 5-10mg/kg once a day 3-5 days past resolution of clinical signs (this can be anywhere from 10-21 days, depending on the bacterial infection and severity-another reason a vet might be able to help determine time).

For chams with mild infections I usually go closer to the 5mg/kg dosage. For a 60g cham this would be .013ml. I might go to .015ml for convenience. You need to make sure the cham is getting overhydrated for the whole time they are getting this medication.

Good luck,
Matthew

Thank you very much for your input Matthew. I just didn't want to wait that extra 2 days and let things progress to the point of no return if I could do something now.

I think if she's not worse tomorrow I'll let it go 'til I can take her to the vet on Monday evening.If there is achange for the worse I'll try the Baytril.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Back
Top Bottom