Basking light

Is this light good to use for a 3 month old panther chameleon?

I would recommend at that age 40-60w. You can use an incandescent bulb. Basking temps for panthers that young are in the low 80s. If you decide to use that wattage you will need to lift it off if the cage. I highly recommend getting a temp gun as well as a wired thermometer to attach to the basking branch.
You can get something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Digital-Terrarium-Thermometer/dp/B000MD3MFA

I would recommend at that age 40-60w. You can use an incandescent bulb. Basking temps for panthers that young are in the low 80s. If you decide to use that wattage you will need to lift it off if the cage. I highly recommend getting a temp gun as well as a wired thermometer to attach to the basking branch.
You can get something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Digital-Terrarium-Thermometer/dp/B000MD3MFA
We just ended up lowering the basking branch so the temperature was in the low 80’s.

What basking light do you recommend?
I would use a regular incandescent household bulb like others have mentioned. :) Start with a 60 watt and test temps. You should be right at about 82 degrees at the basking level. If it is hotter then that drop your wattage in bulb or raise the fixture more off the screen.

I would use a regular incandescent household bulb like others have mentioned. :) Start with a 60 watt and test temps. You should be right at about 82 degrees at the basking level. If it is hotter then that drop your wattage in bulb or raise the fixture more off the screen.

is this good?

I know others who use these types. It is a wide flood which means it will be better then the one you got originally. Just check your temps... Your basking area should not be any hotter then 82ish degrees max for the age of your cham.
We got him from Chromatic Chameleons (a breeder) and they said to have the basking temps around 88 degrees

We got him from Chromatic Chameleons (a breeder) and they said to have the basking temps around 88 degrees
ummm I would double check with them. I have never heard of anyone recommending a basking spot for a baby panther to be any higher then 85 at the very very very max. I am never one to cross a breeders advice but I really would double check with them on what they recommend.

ummm I would double check with them. I have never heard of anyone recommending a basking spot for a baby panther to be any higher then 85 at the very very very max. I am never one to cross a breeders advice but I really would double check with them on what they recommend.
I just double checked. They said anywhere from 85-88 for his age. They have raised many healthy and beautiful chameleons so I just going to stick with them. But thanks for the help:)

I just double checked. They said anywhere from 85-88 for his age. They have raised many healthy and beautiful chameleons so I just going to stick with them. But thanks for the help:)
If he starts gaping (holding his mouth open) then drop the temp back by bringing the basking fixture a few inches higher.

If he starts gaping (holding his mouth open) then drop the temp back by bringing the basking fixture a few inches higher.
Ok:) He also has many plants and branches that he can climb on to get as far or as close to the basking light as he want's .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom