Basking lamp on/off?

TIMMYBOY

Do I need the basking lamp on if its 90 degrees in my room during the day.if I keep the ac off it will reach 110degrees...

No basking lamp needed as it is only going to the heat the cage up more. and I agree with Lisa, you need to run your AC. 110 is just too hot.

No basking lamp needed as it is only going to the heat the cage up more. and I agree with Lisa, you need to run your AC. 110 is just too hot.

This kinda brings up a question I've been thinking about a bit, does the metabolic system start from the heat of the basking light or the hot spot it creates, could you have a heat emitter without the light for basking? I have a 48" double housing w uvb and a 6500 ultra sun with a 100 watt basking clamp dome and a heat emitter for cold nights... was just wondering

This kinda brings up a question I've been thinking about a bit, does the metabolic system start from the heat of the basking light or the hot spot it creates, could you have a heat emitter without the light for basking? I have a 48" double housing w uvb and a 6500 ultra sun with a 100 watt basking clamp dome and a heat emitter for cold nights... was just wondering

It comes from the heat and of course the uvb rays. The reason many suggest a light, is because it helps the herp identify the heat source. I believe that if you use a heat pad placed nearby the uvb light source, then it would have the same effect. Its mainly to create a gradient of heat from cool to hot areas. Stick to a bulb though, I believe it to be simpler than trying to balance a heat gradient with pads. If temps dont drop below 40F at night, then I dont use any heat source, just an fyi.

I had only thought about a porcelain heat emitter not pads. I have a large free range based outta a re-purposed wooden hutch, don't think pads would even work. The fixtures all hang from the ceiling. I hate the danger factor of the heat lamp just trying to think of better way I guess

I had only thought about a porcelain heat emitter not pads. I have a large free range based outta a re-purposed wooden hutch, don't think pads would even work. The fixtures all hang from the ceiling. I hate the danger factor of the heat lamp just trying to think of better way I guess

Well, if you plan for the UV light to come on at the same time the heat emitter does and place them close together it could work. The light will attract the cham to the warmer area. Then if you need to turn off the heat because the room is too warm you could use a timer to do that. Then possibly switch the heat on in later afternoon so the cham can bask for proper digestion.

Back
Top Bottom