Barely Eating

Matthew G

Hey I got my new 2 month old veiled in the mail 2 days ago(January 24th 2014). He is barely eating(one or two crickets a day). I have tried baby roaches, freshly molted mealworms, freshly molted mealworms beatles, flashly molted mealworm pupa, and of course crickets. Is he just not settled in? I'be tried using tongs but he is scared of them, and if I put my hand in his cage he runs to hide. He is fine as long as nothing goes in his cage. I tried cup feeding but he will stay away from its vicinity. Any ideas are welcome.

He's still adjusting. Put appropriate size feeders in cup, maybe let some loose so he can hunt. Then leave him to it, he might eat better if you're not right there. Patience and he will settle in. Mine took well over a week to get used to things and me.
Kath.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - 2 month mail veiled, I have had for two and a half days. He is from FL Chams and his sure is Driskel under the premium veiled chameleon.
Handling - Only once when it was lights out and he was on the door so I put him in the foliage.
Feeding - I tried cup feeding, but at the moment i just let some crickets run around his cage so he can hunt. When in had the cup in I put it under his favorite basking spot. The rest of the day he avoided that area of the cage.
Supplements - For this week only I am only giving him repashy chameleon formula for every feeding. Next week I will start a schedule of 10 and 20 of each month calcium+D3(Rep-Cal), 1 and 15 of each month vitamins(sticky tongue indoor formula), and the rest plain calcium(Zoomed without D3)
Watering - Reverse Osmosis water in a monsoon that goes off every 2 hours for 18 seconds when lights are on.
Fecal Description - He has only pooped once so he irate is yellow because of him being in a box the day before. The actual poop was very wet but still held its shape and was dark brown.
History - Only other problem i have had was him sleeping in the day, and constantly swallowing or moving his tongue while his mouth is closed.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 36x18x18(HxWxD) screen repti breeze
Lighting - Basking spot - exactly 85 maybe 87 depending where on the stick but he stays where it 85. UVB - 5.0 Zoomed repti sun 1 week old.
Temperature - bottom of cage 70, Mid of cage 73-75, Top of cage 80-85, Basking - 85-87.
Humidity - I do not have a gauge but outside my house is usually 75-95 percent humidity, I am guessing 50-60 in my house.
Plants - Only 1 live pathos, I have an umbrella plant brig prepped to be put in. He have lots of foliage at the top. I mean 6 medium size fake plants with a very bushy pathos.
Placement - About 2 foot off ground, 3.5 feet from wall
Location - South East Georgia... I live on salt marsh.

Current Problem - My new Cham is not eating as much as I would like. I know he has eaten because when I check on him every now and them he looks a little fatter because i can usually see the outline of his ribs. The crickets i am using are probably his max size capacity. I tried pin heads but they couldn't climb the screen and he would never find them. Tong, hand, and cup do not fit his cupotea
yet. He hides whenever he sees tongs or finger going towards him.

Back
Top Bottom