Banning Iguanas and Tegus in Florida...

Please forgive my ignorance, but is the concern here something like the following:

1) Pit bulls are a problem because (supposedly) they are aggressive dogs prone to bite.
2) but darn, German shepherds, Rottweilers, Dobermans and a ton of others seems to fit this (mistaken) view
3) so are they gonna ban them too?

This needs to be stopped. It will just get more and more stringent if this starts. Especially considering how there are old world chameleons living here in the wild already. It will only be a matter of time.
Well said C7FC73CB-C612-4420-AA06-4F43CC7FBC32.jpeg

Please forgive my ignorance, but is the concern here something like the following:

1) Pit bulls are a problem because (supposedly) they are aggressive dogs prone to bite.
2) but darn, German shepherds, Rottweilers, Dobermans and a ton of others seems to fit this (mistaken) view
I lived in a community that all those dogs where banned. I laughed when I seen the list and said the only dog that’s ever bite me was a Chihuahua

Yeah, this is troubling. I wish I had more to add, but I’m unfamiliar with Floridian jurisprudence.

They are considered “priority invasive species” according to the wording. Iguanas are actually not introduced here as most say. They did arrive down in the Keys on natural rafts carried by the currents. What impact they have is debatable, but banning them? Besides, what exactly is a reptile of concern? Could be anything.

From the legalese, it seems as though they are cautious enough to name actual species, which makes it less likely that a blanket ban on all species of chameleon would be enacted. Although, I doubt calyptratus has a bright future in Floridian law.

Back
Top Bottom