Banning Iguanas and Tegus in Florida...

Many years ago someone in southern Ontario decided to keep/breed/raise alligators...so people complained because a few had escaped and might eat the kids or pets in the area (I actually found a very young one in a ditch near my house)...so they banned all reptiles...even the simple leopard geckos.

Then someone was raising rabbits for meat...hundreds of them in a large barn...some of them escaped...so they banned all bunnies even if you only had one for a pet. My kids were heart broken when they had to give up their pet rabbits.

Then it was snakes...a poisonous "pet" one had escaped and a big huge boa killed someone...so let's ban them all. While it made sense to be careful with huge ones and poisonous ones...do you really think corn snakes or rough greens, etc would be a threat to anyone?

I'm glad someone came to their senses eventually and made some more sensible laws.

So I'm confused because I don't live in florida. But you guys do realize that tegus are absolutely decimating the wildlife there? At this point I do not think it matters how they stop them from getting there or who's to blame. They are becoming worse than the pythons... and this is from a guy that LOVES tegus. They are extremely intelligent. They will make you look at your cham and think it is a dumb rock. They are among the only reptiles that can temporarily regulate their body temp from what I've heard(in small amounts). They are able to trick alligators into chasing one so the others steal the eggs and so on.

My point is, these aren't just some goofy chams eating bugs in a tree, they're eating machines that could easily endanger native species.

Whether it’s feral cats, snakes, iguanas, tegus, bunnies, pit bulls or any other animal...the problem isn’t with the animals. The problem is with irresponsible humans.

You could say that about anything, but if you go up the ladder it makes less and less sense(I say this with respect). Should everyone have a tank because we're all supposed to be responsible, should we all have access to nukes? Because some of these animals are biological nukes and the fact of the matter many people are not responsible and even 1 idiot could cause the destruction of an ecosystem. So to me it seems smarter to make it as difficult as possible for people to own them there. Not saying every species, but things that could do some obvious damage.

And to others mentioning dogs, the pitbull debate is old... sorry but a chihuahua isn't going to cause life threatening damage in 100 bites and a pit could with one. Also, a guy that loves Pits... I don't think they should be banned, but using the argument that other dogs bite more is a poor one IMO. If any of you have been to these areas before, I used to visit florida where my buddy lived in a not so good area... people had pitbulls everywhere, many roamed the streets, next door a little girl was nearly killed by one. Same goes for North Carolina and many other places. People are not going to be responsible! I'm not saying ban everything, but there needs to be a better way of stopping idiots from getting these animals.

Last edited:
I mean no offense to anyone, just disagree with some of the comments. Although I know they come from a good place. It's established that you're all good keepers and I'm sure good people too, but I guess the better question is...

if the problem is with the people, which I totally agree, how do we stop them? It's one of those difficult things where a few idiots(although, it's more than a few, most aren't on forums caring for animals responsibly) ruin it for everyone.

If there weren't people regulating this stuff, most species would be extinct. For every stupid law, there are some that we don't see that do a lot of good for the animals we love. If no one regulated things, there'd be no national parks, many screwed up ecosystems, etc... the animals we want to keep may even be extinct. So yes, to me it is important that they monitor these things. And if a dumb law arises then we point it out.

So I'm confused because I don't live in florida. But you guys do realize that tegus are absolutely decimating the wildlife there? At this point I do not think it matters how they stop them from getting there or who's to blame. They are becoming worse than the pythons... and this is from a guy that LOVES tegus. They are extremely intelligent. They will make you look at your cham and think it is a dumb rock. They are among the only reptiles that can temporarily regulate their body temp from what I've heard(in small amounts). They are able to trick alligators into chasing one so the others steal the eggs and so on.

My point is, these aren't just some goofy chams eating bugs in a tree, they're eating machines that could easily endanger native species.

Mine has trouble keeping its meatball from rolling off its plate and into the dirt, i think you give them too much credit...
But he does know how to crack just the top of a chicken egg and drink it :)

But seriously the cat is out of the bag. Iguannas and tegus are destroying everything, not just native wildlife, but burrowing into everything too. Im pretty sure the problem isnt the animals attacking. But you should see local walking parts or what not once the iggies move in. Imagine 4 acres of iggy poop in the sun...

But what is dumb is removing them from the pet trade. The original goal was to keep the from getting released into the wild and turbo charging the "wild" populations. Thats never going to happen. But the over all goal of this bill is to remove all "pets" and then start killing "all" wild ones. Thats like the war on drugs, its never ever going to happen.

But now you will have a bunch of old people who hate the things, and they will vote thinking a check mark will make their problems go away in jan. Yup vote for this and the reptile wrangler will be out in 90 days and remove all your iggies, they are only around because you never voted to remove them.

But the fun part is, the bill has zero funds and zero removal steps. Its just taking the pets away. I know some pet rock iggies down there, some are 35 years old...

Mine has trouble keeping its meatball from rolling off its plate and into the dirt, i think you give them too much credit...
But he does know how to crack just the top of a chicken egg and drink it :)

But seriously the cat is out of the bag. Iguannas and tegus are destroying everything, not just native wildlife, but burrowing into everything too. Im pretty sure the problem isnt the animals attacking. But you should see local walking parts or what not once the iggies move in. Imagine 4 acres of iggy poop in the sun...

But what is dumb is removing them from the pet trade. The original goal was to keep the from getting released into the wild and turbo charging the "wild" populations. Thats never going to happen. But the over all goal of this bill is to remove all "pets" and then start killing "all" wild ones. Thats like the war on drugs, its never ever going to happen.

But now you will have a bunch of old people who hate the things, and they will vote thinking a check mark will make their problems go away in jan. Yup vote for this and the reptile wrangler will be out in 90 days and remove all your iggies, they are only around because you never voted to remove them.

But the fun part is, the bill has zero funds and zero removal steps. Its just taking the pets away. I know some pet rock iggies down there, some are 35 years old...

See I agree with this all the way. And lol a wild tegu is a bigger monster than a captive. All the people catching them say they're worse than the pythons. I'm sure you know that though!

So to be clear, I'm for reducing these animals from getting into the local ecosystems, but I'm not for just taking away people's pets. I dont actually know what to do, but I think that's fair to say about everyone here. I just don't agree with black and white arguments for or against really anything. It's more complicated than that. If these go unchecked, then there will be major consequences, but taking away good responsible keeper's pets is Fed up too. Maybe have some sort of check up to see how they're being kept at least? I mean, if theyre going to spend resources raiding homes for them, it wouldn't hurt to change that to just checking in for people with bad husbandry and unfit for keeping the animals(those who usually end up letting them go)... idk just a thought!

Edit: raiding homes not, 'raising' homes

Last edited:
See I agree with this all the way. And lol a wild tegu is a bigger monster than a captive. All the people catching them say they're worse than the pythons. I'm sure you know that though!

So to be clear, I'm for reducing these animals from getting into the local ecosystems, but I'm not for just taking away people's pets. I dont actually know what to do, but I think that's fair to say about everyone here. I just don't agree with black and white arguments for or against really anything. It's more complicated than that. If these go unchecked, then there will be major consequences, but taking away good responsible keeper's pets is Fed up too. Maybe have some sort of check up to see how they're being kept at least? I mean, if theyre going to spend resources raising homes for them, it wouldn't hurt to change that to just checking in for people with bad husbandry and unfit for keeping the animals(those who usually end up letting them go)... idk just a thought!

They used to have "checkups" etc. I remember zoning for tegus outside cages required 4ft tall unclimbable fencing, because the really acrobatic ones can jump 3ft straight up.

I totally understand the slippery slope argument here. This legislation seems a bit knee jerk and not well thought out. It makes more sense to require permits and specific caging requirements. Ferrets and Sugar Gliders are banned in California and I can tell you there are many here as pets. Veterinarians still treat them and they don't get reported to Fish and Game. More would be neutered and pose less if a risk if people felt they could get treatment.
Poorly written law should be fought as vehemently as any unfair law. It ends up getting in the way of sensible restrictions.

From this day forward tegus will be modern day velociraptors in my mind.

I totally understand the slippery slope argument here. This legislation seems a bit knee jerk and not well thought out. It makes more sense to require permits and specific caging requirements. Ferrets and Sugar Gliders are banned in California and I can tell you there are many here as pets. Veterinarians still treat them and they don't get reported to Fish and Game. More would be neutered and pose less if a risk if people felt they could get treatment.
Poorly written law should be fought as vehemently as any unfair law. It ends up getting in the way of sensible restrictions.

I'm guilty of not really knowing the law. I'm just acknowledging the problem. Gliders, hedgehogs, and many more are banned in PA and I have heard that they will take them and euthanize. You got to understand most states don't run like cali lol for better or worse. Otherwise I agree with everything you say.

I should say I'm only speaking of my experience in a few practices in California. I agree there is a problem (it walks on 2 legs). I just think it should be addressed realistically and I know you and I agree on that.

From this day forward tegus will be modern day velociraptors in my mind.

I've always seen them in that light. :) I wonder if there are groups of "hobbyists" in Florida that are doing with monitors/tegus as others are doing with chams catching and releasing into new unpopulated areas to help them spread . Besides ranching these people are the absolute worst problem here, however if I lived there it would be difficult to not join the club in spreading chams but velociraptors :) are a definite no simply due to their size and intelligence with not many predators of their own to keep them in some kind of check.

Back
Top Bottom