Banded Velvet Gecko

Dyesub Dave

Hey everybody .... here's the newest edition to the family. It's a male African Banded Velvet Gecko. He's about 5" long, nocturnal and apparently can have a wicked little bite. ( Haven't tested it out yet!! :rolleyes: )

VelvetGecko1-Reduced.jpg

VelvetGecko2-Reduced.jpg

VelvetGecko3-Reduced.jpg

VelvetGeckoEnclosure-Reduced.jpg

Anyhow ... lemme know what you think?? :cool:

Dyesub Dave. :D

so cute. his head does look like the yellow and black tegu and they have a pretty mean bite too so i can imagine his bite is nice and mean.

I doubt that guys bite could match up to a big gorilla of a Male Veiled.lol

Awesome looking little gecko Dave... Looks like he's got a sweet Tank to range!

Joe

Hey .... thanks guys!! I've read that if these little geckos get the right spot that it's comparable to a Tokay which is 2 or 3 times it's size and also supposedly prone to biting. I'm sure it will happen at some point (hopefully after a few beers so it doesn't hurt .... LOL ) and I'll be sure to post when it does. ;)

I hope he likes his new home. I've read that they like a little more height than width but I had to go with what I already had partially set up. He's been hanging out on the same spot on the glass all day. They're supposed to be nocturnal like my cresties but he hasn't tried to hide yet. Almost seems like a waste putting those bark curls in. LOL It will probably just take some time for him to settle in.

I'm already looking for some females to try ANOTHER breeding project. I haven't seen him eat yet but I only got him yesterday and he has no problem drinking water droplets.

I had a pygmy cham for a while that I think overheated in the same enclosure. I was putting 2L frozen bottles of water in the enclosure to keep the temps down. However one day it got up to 82 deg. in there and he didn't fare well with that. So no more pygmies until I have a basement or cooler room. However these guys like it warm 80-90 deg. and humid 60-80% which is perfect for my place.

If anybody here has kept these geckos before please feel free to pass on any suggestions you may have.

Thanks ... Dyesub Dave. :D

Back
Top Bottom