banded crickets...

Rottsko

Avid Member
well, my regular cricket supplier just got hit w/ the cricket virus. i took the plunge and ordered some banded crickets from ghanns cricket farm. read some of the info on them and some the opinions on here. who is currently feeding banded crickets? what are your thoughts on them? are you going to stick w/ banded crickets? thx.

I like them. They are easy to gutload and move a lot more than other species. I generally use the smaller sizes for my phelsuma as my local shop doesnt do bandeds in bigger sizes.

They are smaller through and the males chirp a lot more.

well, my regular cricket supplier just got hit w/ the cricket virus. i took the plunge and ordered some banded crickets from ghanns cricket farm. read some of the info on them and some the opinions on here. who is currently feeding banded crickets? what are your thoughts on them? are you going to stick w/ banded crickets? thx.

I was going to order from them but, their shipping is way to high. I was going to order from LLLReptile and 500 would cost around $27.00 total as with Gahnns, their shipping total is $10.00 higher.

I had the same thing - I had to change crix for a short time- about the only thing I did NOT like, and this is no matter who you get from- those suckers JUMP! even the pinhead size can jump out of a tall deli cup - the browns need more of an angel to jump - the banded seem to be like helicopters - they just go right up :eek:

I had the same thing - I had to change crix for a short time- about the only thing I did NOT like, and this is no matter who you get from- those suckers JUMP! even the pinhead size can jump out of a tall deli cup - the browns need more of an angel to jump - the banded seem to be like helicopters - they just go right up :eek:
lol. that's funny. i can just imagine losing crickets left and right while feeding my chams.

So glad I have an amazing local store to get my crickets from. They have 7 different sizes as well. They are great to deal with.

So glad I have an amazing local store to get my crickets from. They have 7 different sizes as well. They are great to deal with.
you're very lucky. if i was to buy crickets from petco or petsmart or some place that sells crickets, i bet i'd be paying around $1000 a month. lol

i'm actually excited to try these new crickets. i've heard great things and the negative things i've heard about them are negligible.

I have pretty much switched to banded crickets after having so many losses with the field crickets. When I order 500 of a particular size, they last about two to three weeks, assuming few losses. With the field crickets, I was losing at least 25% of each order and very few survived more than about a week. I have had nearly no losses with the banded crickets and they don't seem to smell as much.

They are a bit jumpy and better climbers. So you might want to keep in a tall cricket bin.

Totally agree. I had to get deeper bins..if they escape they are way hard to catch.
...AND they are LOUD and almost have a mechanical chirp. .

Great. Thx for all the tips. So does everyone prefer the banded vs the brown crickets if you could get either?

Because browns have more meat so to speak on them it can work out cheaper but for their activity and ease if gutloading I prefer banded.

I do with the only caveat being that if I was buying locally and planned to feed them all in a day or two, I'd go with either.

Great. Thx for all the tips. So does everyone prefer the banded vs the brown crickets if you could get either?

I do with the only caveat being that if I was buying locally and planned to feed them all in a day or two, I'd go with either.

I thought banded crickets have the same life span as the browns? I know they're smaller in size but that's not an issue with me.

lol. that's funny. i can just imagine losing crickets left and right while feeding my chams.

IT'S NOT - well, kinda is :p but I ended up every time I needed to get crix out, I carried the bin OUTSIDE before I would open it , but the dogs loved the fact they were faster than me - lots of "play toys" jumping all over the room :p

They do, but I seem to have problems keeping the brown crickets alive for more than a few days. I know it's probably something I'm doing wrong, but the banded crickets seem to be hardier.

I thought banded crickets have the same life span as the browns? I know they're smaller in size but that's not an issue with me.

I personally prefer banded crickets. They are nice and plump, lots of meat to them when they are adult size.

Well I'm hearing great things about these crickets so I'm excited to see what everyone is talking about. Ill let everyone know my first impressions and opinions on them soon. Thx!

Back
Top Bottom