Ball Python

LukeTheLizard

Avid Member
Seeing how I only have 2 animals(Chameleon and fish) I have decided that I need another reptile. The only reptile my parents are okay with is a snake.(weird, right?) So I decided I’m going to get a ball python. I have already been studying them for a while, and I have saved up lots of money doing various jobs, so I am fully prepared for food expenses, vet expenses, etc. because I don’t think you should get a pet unless you are financially prepared to take care of it.(among other things) but I wanted to bring it to you experts before I make the jump, so what things should I know before getting one? What do I need to get? I am planning on getting a male, definitely a juvenile. I already have a 10 gallon tank, a water bowl big enough for him to fully soak in, a hiding spot, and a heat light. Some of my questions were:

1:Do they need a UVB bulb?
2:What heat bulb do they need(wattage?)
3:How often do they need to eat?
4:You are supposed to have one side of the tank warmer, and one side colder, so what do the temps on each side need to be?
5:What substrate do they need?

I know that they will need a (way) bigger tank as he grows, so I am going to buy him a 40 gallon tank. Don’t worry, I didn’t waste money on a 10 gallon tank, I already had it, because if I didn’t have a 10 gallon tank already, I would have just started him off in a 40 gallon.

And also, don’t worry, I think constructive critisism is super helpful, and you guys won’t hurt my feelings or anything, just want to study and learn as much about these amazing animals as much as I can.Thanks!💚

No uvb is needed
Wattage of bulb depends on temp I use a 70 watt
Eating when young once week
Yes one side warmer other cooler
Repti bark is what I use
Depending on size you get I would get baby one. A 40 gallon breed should be good for awhile. For small ones I put in 10 gallon till bigger.

How does this look? 10 gallon tank(going to get a juvenile) reptile bark, warm side and cool side, going to buy a 70 watt.(Also have a water bowl big enough for him to soak in)

Attachments

• 722FA1C7-C83D-4AC4-A334-1A03EC9B4EB1.jpeg
    722FA1C7-C83D-4AC4-A334-1A03EC9B4EB1.jpeg
    251.4 KB · Views: 92
I'd get a banana fire instead of your everyday ones. Shows are way cheaper. If you goto petco or petsmart to get check for mites

Seeing how I only have 2 animals(Chameleon and fish) I have decided that I need another reptile. The only reptile my parents are okay with is a snake.(weird, right?)
They're more OK with a snake than a turtle/tortoise or the HUGE variety of other lizards? OK.

So I decided I’m going to get a ball python. I have already been studying them for a while, and I have saved up lots of money doing various jobs, so I am fully prepared for food expenses, vet expenses, etc. because I don’t think you should get a pet unless you are financially prepared to take care of it.
(y) If only the majority of keepers thought that way instead of thinking of reptiles as impulse/throw-away purchases.

Can't help much. I don't mind snakes, but in the interest of domestic harmony, they're taboo around here except for the garters that live under the garage. 🤨

They're more OK with a snake than a turtle/tortoise or the HUGE variety of other lizards? OK.
My mom is more okay with snakes because they are lower maintenance, I don’t need to buy more bugs for them, and she thinks snakes are cute, and my dad has just always liked snakes, and he thinks they are way cooler than something like a bearded dragon.

2 more questions:
I already have a MistKing for my chameleon, so should I hook up another line and nozzle for my python? Do they need one? It would probably help keep humidity up.

And second, can they have fake plants in their cage? Do they need them?

No I wouldn't hookup mister. If you notice it having hard time shedding give it a few minutes bath in like 70 to 80 degrees water. I have 3 and they each get a bath every other month

I put branches in cage not close to light cause they will cook them selfsame. Cook as in not a burn. Same with heat rocks don't use or heat mats

Thanks for your help! Do you landing sending a pic of your baby python setup? It would really help me get an idea of what I need!

No I haven’t, are they on YouTube, or do they just have a website?
Not sure if they have more than one way to get in touch or see their stuff. I knew Corey when he was star int out. He has awesome morphs...but they're likely expensive. I've only heard of Bob Clark and looked at some of his photos online.

All depends on where u get one at. I got a banana fire 4 months ago for 150 at show. At pet store wanted 450 for same one

But pwtsmart and petco don't sell any good looking ones. I have a local pet store that sell the good ones but are very costly. I know the people that run that store and they get all there reptiles from shows and resell. I see them at show all the time cause I goto show every month to look. Also like to see busy bee chameleon

Every reptile show we've been to has been lousy with ball python breeders, so I would think that would be a good place to meet breeders and see a better selection.

Back
Top Bottom