Bad ZooMed ReptiSun 10.0?

Saturday I was at LLL purchasing new ZooMed UVB lamps. I purchased two 48" ReptiSun 10.0 tube lamps. When I got home I replaced the Reptisun 5.0 that was above my Melleri free range that houses Henry. I then grabbed Dave Weldon's SolorMeter 6.2 and took a reading of the new lamp.

The reason for the lamp replacement is that my readings with the old 5.0 lamp were pretty low, around 10~13 uW/cm2. These readings were consistent around the enclosure in the various places Henry can move about. This is a single ReptiSun 5.0 along side a 'grow light' from Home Depot. I do not have a reflector installed that will reflect UVB (reflector needs to be made of polished metal, not shiny paint). This lamp is fairly old, more than six months.

So, after the install of the new 10.0 lamp, I took some readings. I was seeing the same reading from the new 10.0 as I was with an old 5.0 :confused:. I let it ride for a couple of days. I took the fixture down and took some readings along side a tape measure tonight.

10.0 Reading:

Surface reading:

IMG_9509.jpg

6" reading:

IMG_9503.jpg

8" reading:

IMG_9506.jpg

10" reading:

IMG_9508.jpg

Here are the readings from the old 5.0 lamp:

Surface reading:

IMG_9521.jpg

6" reading:

IMG_9518.jpg

8" reading:

IMG_9519.jpg

10" reading:

IMG_9520.jpg

Since the output of the 10.0 should be double that of a 5.0, I find these readings strange. I have two lamps, so I went to test the second. Shortly after turning on the fixture after installing the second 10.0 lamp I had purchased, it fizzled. I was not able to compare the two lamps. After I replace these two lamps I will take readings again and post the results. (If Dave doesn't mind me having the meter a little longer :eek:)

For those looking for UV info. Check out the UV Guide website.

For those looking to buy a meter, check here. There was a cheaper place to buy these meters. I do not have the link but last I heard they were not selling them anymore :eek:.

Back
Top Bottom