Bad shed?

He started to walk around his cage I got him lowering himself from his tail his bad foot is trying to grip a leaf and is closer then the other foot in the one pic so it looks bigger than the other I will try to get better pics when he starts moving around I’m not goin to bother him to much
75ACC4EA-8B0E-48E8-9323-50067A90EB0F.png
3B32B8B0-D54E-47D5-8E3F-4C97A756455D.png

It's a little easier to gauge the swelling in that picture it's not as bad as the first two. If he was more comfortable with handling I might try cleaning it in chlorhexadine solution and putting a topical antibiotic ointment on it until you get to the vet. If that is going to freak him out maybe just put some triple antibiotic ointment or silvadene when he is sleeping. You might try bumping his basking temp up a couple degrees temporarily to help him heal and fight infection. If the swelling gets worse break the piggy bank and head to the vets.

It's a little easier to gauge the swelling in that picture it's not as bad as the first two. If he was more comfortable with handling I might try cleaning it in chlorhexadine solution and putting a topical antibiotic ointment on it until you get to the vet. If that is going to freak him out maybe just put some triple antibiotic ointment or silvadene when he is sleeping. You might try bumping his basking temp up a couple degrees temporarily to help him heal and fight infection. If the swelling gets worse break the piggy bank and head to the vets.

Do you know what kind of triple antibiotic or where I can get it at? or the chlorhexadine solution ive never heard of it could you tell me more about it? I’ll do as much research as I can thank you for that information

Neosporin is a common brand of triple antibiotic ointment. Any similar generic is cheaper and should work as well. You are just trying to prevent infection from getting in the damaged tissue.
The chlorhexidine can be ordered from amazon https://smile.amazon.com/Durvet-Chl...065139&sr=8-2&keywords=chlorhexidine+solution
It is good for wound cleaning and irrigating. It may need to be diluted.
This is all just for basic first aid and is not a substitute for veterinary care.

Neosporin is a common brand of triple antibiotic ointment. Any similar generic is cheaper and should work as well. You are just trying to prevent infection from getting in the damaged tissue.
The chlorhexidine can be ordered from amazon https://smile.amazon.com/Durvet-Chl...065139&sr=8-2&keywords=chlorhexidine+solution
It is good for wound cleaning and irrigating. It may need to be diluted.
This is all just for basic first aid and is not a substitute for veterinary care.

Does the neosporin need to be diluted also? I don’t want to over dose him and are your sure it is safe is there any info on the web about using neosporin on reptiles?

It can be used straight from the tube. I wouldn't use it near the eyes or mouth. It is for use on the skin only. Silvadene is used in reptiles but is only available from a veterinarian.

Ooh, that looks nasty. Good thing it is getting better. Is your vet already aware of this, that way they are prepared if you have to bring him in for a worst case scenario?

Back
Top Bottom