Back up Critical Care liquid food

Andee

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I like having a back instant mix liquid diet I can give Ryker or any of my other animals if needed. But one thing I noticed is an issue with the carnivore care diets that are premade that they have added D3 vits. With most of my reptiles or anything that gets the carnivore care this isn't a problem, but with Ryker it is. I can't use premade diets because he is outside constantly and can easily be overdosed on supplemental D3 now. But I like having something on hand because I don't always have time to blend the bugs etc. Anyone know of anything?

I don't think I would be worried about overdose in an instance where you are having to rely on one of those diets. The benefits of the diet and saving his life far outweigh the potential for overdose. And i would think that it would have to be given on a regular basis, in order to OD on. In an emergency situation, a little extra would probably be more helpful than anything. That's 1 less thing his body would have to make. That's just my 2¢

I usually blend bugs for him, I have a special blender for it. But he actually is worse with just whole bugs than most chams I have dealt with. He will spit them out over and over and he gets more stressed with whole bugs for some reason.... it's weird .___.

He can and can't see. He can't see feeders, has not yet been able to eat them on his own or track the smaller movements of prey items, even super huge silkworms or roaches. I have also grown out hornworms I randomly bought and he didn't notice them and he used to be obsessed with them. He originally went blind for unknown reasons, but a lot are pretty easy to guess. I took him into the vet and he had something similar to scarring on his eyes. Follow the link and you will learn about most of his issues we went through. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/record-keeping-for-rykers-eye-recovery.155587/

He has gotten much better where he keeps his eyes open almost all the time unless he is under super bright natural sunlight or is under too bright artificial basking lights. He also has more good days than bad now where he obviously sees more shadows or solid objects to walk on and he can track me most of the time. He drinks well, walks around fine, the only normal thing he doesn't do is eat.

Current I crush bugs in a blender, with warm water, and then of course supplements when needed. Do you think adding the pedialyte and eggyolk etc, would be a better liquid? I don't think I will ever add ensure... I wouldn't even touch that stuff.

All I can tell you is that knowing what I do about you, your BugJuice is already likely as nutritious...but Susan James (who did post on here at one time) was very well known for her chameleons and Dr. Lopez for the information he posted about supplements, etc. too.

I used to talk to them and many other well known"pioneers" of chameleon knowledge on the old Adcham forum. There still are a few of us old Adchamer people on here...I haven't looked at the members list lately to see who still posts here who also posted there.

Current I crush bugs in a blender, with warm water, and then of course supplements when needed. Do you think adding the pedialyte and eggyolk etc, would be a better liquid? I don't think I will ever add ensure... I wouldn't even touch that stuff.
Andee check in with @Matt Vanilla Gorilla too . If he has a few min he has a crazy blend might be a help . I know you are looking for pre made he might be able to help . Just a thought :love:.

Anything with any kind of shelf life would either be dehydrated or loaded with unhealthy preservatives! I do not know if there is anything dehydrated available on the market but it would be my first choice (would most likely have less or no dangerous additives)! You could always dehydrate your own bugs and keep them on hand to make your smoothie with! Hope this helps!

I wonder if garlic would help. I use it for my aquarium, to get picky eaters and stressed out fish to start eating. It comes in a liquid concentrate, and just 1 drop in the blender would be enough for him. It's a very common thing in the aquarium world. Google: Kent Marine Garlic Extreme.

What do you need help with Andee? I was told of your thread here and came out of the cave.
I am looking specifically for a premade mix like carnivore care, except preferably without any D3, I usually blend bugs etc. But sometimes I don't have the time and would just like to have a back up for those days... though I know it's likely not something I will find sadly.

I am looking specifically for a premade mix like carnivore care, except preferably without any D3, I usually blend bugs etc. But sometimes I don't have the time and would just like to have a back up for those days... though I know it's likely not something I will find sadly.

Gerber baby chicken food. When I need a high protein supplement for a rehab project I use that and mix it with either Gatorade or Pedalyte until it is a smooth liquid. As you can imagine, if its made for an infant its not going to have a bunch of extra crap in it since as a company they know infants can have all kinds of delicate stomachs and they dont want to be sued. It is some of the blandest stuff out there, I know.

Occasionally I'll mix in some straight calcium or in an animal with deficiencies, I mix in herptivite. Screw bug juice. My .02

Back to my cave, good luck.

I could always keep the baby food on hand when I need it. I also use protein based baby foods for my hamsters etc, so it makes sense. Just haven't had it in the house recently XD I agree you need to be out more than just 24 hours <3 we love you ^^

Back
Top Bottom