back to the vet today - melleri with infected feet

Not much change since the last visit two weeks ago. I'm hopeful Dr. Greek has a magic wand ...

09282011_gimpy.jpg

09272011_feet2.jpg

09272011_feet1.jpg

Aww poor baby! Problems with the feet are so hard to clear up :eek:

Hope (s)he fights through it. I'm sure he/she is greatful you rescued him/her

Aww poor baby! Problems with the feet are so hard to clear up :eek:

Hope (s)he fights through it. I'm sure he/she is greatful you rescued him/her

We refer to him as he - though it's a guess. He's just so big and tough and beat up, he seems more male.

Nothing new from the vet, still a long way to go, we are still on baytril and he added a second antibiotic. Not a lot to be drained this time - more cellulitus and inflammation.

Avoiding these problems with good care is easier than treating them for sure!

So any idea what caused this. About a year ago my veiled had a swollen foot. I thought she sprained it by doing some acrobatics in the enclosure.

Attachments

• Aug2010_99.jpg
    Aug2010_99.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 140
So any idea what caused this. About a year ago my veiled had a swollen foot. I thought she sprained it by doing some acrobatics in the enclosure.

Ouch! How long did she have it/is she better?

I don't know what happened to this guy - we got him like this. I thought we were getting healthy cham and at the last minute found out he had a swollen foot that "just happened." It wasn't until I saw him that I realized how bad it was and that it was both feet as well as along his back and tail. I probably should have taken a pass on him but he probably wouldn't have had a chance otherwise. He's sweet though and as long as the vet & medication bills don't break us we're hopeful for a full recovery. Eventually. :)

I am glad you are giving him a chance at a decent life. The road to health will be a hard one but he will be a great cham for you later. I call my baby melleri a he, but I love the little thing, no matter what sex.

We refer to him as he - though it's a guess. He's just so big and tough and beat up, he seems more male.

Nothing new from the vet, still a long way to go, we are still on baytril and he added a second antibiotic. Not a lot to be drained this time - more cellulitus and inflammation.

Avoiding these problems with good care is easier than treating them for sure!

Lol I wanted to say "he" but it seems every time I assume thats when the owner says "Oh we think it's a female" :p :) Ahh the mystery of melleri gotta love it!

Are they nail bed abscesses or pressure sores that infected?

I am glad you are giving him a chance at a decent life. The road to health will be a hard one but he will be a great cham for you later. I call my baby melleri a he, but I love the little thing, no matter what sex.

He'd better be a great cham, dadgummit!!

Thanks.

Lol I wanted to say "he" but it seems every time I assume thats when the owner says "Oh we think it's a female" :p :) Ahh the mystery of melleri gotta love it!

Are they nail bed abscesses or pressure sores that infected?

Take your pick. On one foot he has broken / falling off nails and the other seems to be pressure sores.

Also, he vomited this morning. I told the vet he hadn't eaten in a few days or pooped in almost two weeks. He didn't feel any blockage ... well, there's none now I guess ... Sasquatch (his name of the day due to his huge feet) seems fine and had a long drink after. And I called the vet and left a message ...

I swear, kids didn't stress me as much ...

Take your pick. On one foot he has broken / falling off nails and the other seems to be pressure sores.

Also, he vomited this morning. I told the vet he hadn't eaten in a few days or pooped in almost two weeks. He didn't feel any blockage ... well, there's none now I guess ... Sasquatch (his name of the day due to his huge feet) seems fine and had a long drink after. And I called the vet and left a message ...

I swear, kids didn't stress me as much ...

Poor Sasquatch :( Such a hard area to heal due to the fact they have to stand :eek:

I did have a rescue a while back with similar feet issues. He started to vomit and have bouts of diarrhea. He ended up passing and when we did the necropsy it ended up he suffered from Intussusception, it's when the intestines telescope over its self and pretty much suffocates. Here is an old thread by another member that shows necropsy pictures https://www.chameleonforums.com/peritoneal-abscess-beware-gruesome-necropsy-picture-5473/ Be aware the pictures are graphic. My vet thinks it could have been caused by the stress of a couple relocations and agressive treatment, it also could have been caused by parasites also but I never got a reasonable sample to test. Not saying Sasquach has the same fate but I just wanted to share a little of my experience with you and honestly its something not really discussed here.

Poor Sasquatch :( Such a hard area to heal due to the fact they have to stand :eek:

I did have a rescue a while back with similar feet issues. He started to vomit and have bouts of diarrhea. He ended up passing and when we did the necropsy it ended up he suffered from Intussusception, it's when the intestines telescope over its self and pretty much suffocates. Here is an old thread by another member that shows necropsy pictures https://www.chameleonforums.com/peritoneal-abscess-beware-gruesome-necropsy-picture-5473/ Be aware the pictures are graphic. My vet thinks it could have been caused by the stress of a couple relocations and agressive treatment, it also could have been caused by parasites also but I never got a reasonable sample to test. Not saying Sasquach has the same fate but I just wanted to share a little of my experience with you and honestly its something not really discussed here.

wow ... it's good to have the information though I have to say I would have preferred the happy-ending version ...we pretty much have the same back story ... in three months or less he has gone from a pet store and two owners.

I am hoping he just got too many too large dubia that didn't digest properly. could be parasites - his last owner said she had him tested and he was clean but i have no paperwork or proof.

did yours have a good appetite? he was eating a ton until he just stopped completely. has always been willing to drink plenty. he had a good drink after vomiting. he looked a little pale but he's out in the sun now and looks better and is moving around a bit. despite the foot problems he's always been active and alert.

I appreciate the information but it sounds like there's not much treatment for it? Could it be determined by and x ray or ultrasound and corrected via surgery?

wow ... it's good to have the information though I have to say I would have preferred the happy-ending version ...we pretty much have the same back story ... in three months or less he has gone from a pet store and two owners.

I am hoping he just got too many too large dubia that didn't digest properly. could be parasites - his last owner said she had him tested and he was clean but i have no paperwork or proof.

did yours have a good appetite? he was eating a ton until he just stopped completely. has always been willing to drink plenty. he had a good drink after vomiting. he looked a little pale but he's out in the sun now and looks better and is moving around a bit. despite the foot problems he's always been active and alert.

I appreciate the information but it sounds like there's not much treatment for it? Could it be determined by and x ray or ultrasound and corrected via surgery?

Hopefully he was just greedy with the dubias!

The rescue I had came with a geat appetite he would eat as I put the feeder is the bucket and was active. Then one day I went to check on him and he was leanning to one side and walking in circles. Took him back to the vet and she did palpate his abdomen and she even said she felt a mass in there she was concerned about but hoping it was feces and she wanted to see him back in a week. The circling might have been pain from the foot so we put him on metacam (pain killer) and he was like a new cham until he started with the diarrhea and vomiting. Within 48 hours he passed away. My vet knew what she was going to find before she even opened him.

From what I understand by the time they start showing symptoms the damage is done and the intestines are necrotic and there's no treatment with these guys to reverse it.

Hopefully he was just greedy with the dubias!

The rescue I had came with a geat appetite he would eat as I put the feeder is the bucket and was active. Then one day I went to check on him and he was leanning to one side and walking in circles. Took him back to the vet and she did palpate his abdomen and she even said she felt a mass in there she was concerned about but hoping it was feces and she wanted to see him back in a week. The circling might have been pain from the foot so we put him on metacam (pain killer) and he was like a new cham until he started with the diarrhea and vomiting. Within 48 hours he passed away. My vet knew what she was going to find before she even opened him.

From what I understand by the time they start showing symptoms the damage is done and the intestines are necrotic and there's no treatment with these guys to reverse it.

That sounds a lot like our guy ... except I told the vet he hadn't pooped and when he (the vet) checked he said he didn't find anything unusual or large. Provided he's not dead in 48 hours I'm going to asked the vet for that pain killer next time. He hasn't been leaning or walking in circles. he is even trying to use his feet more and the swelling is a teeny tiny bit less.

Despite the vomit he's been active and acting normal. I offered him a horn worm but he declined. But he's never eaten worms of any kind for me ... I gave him some of the repta-aid which I think has a different name now. I don't know if he felt better with it but I felt better getting something in him. I'll try solid food tomorrow.

I'm glad to have the information even if I can't do anything with it ...

That sounds a lot like our guy ... except I told the vet he hadn't pooped and when he (the vet) checked he said he didn't find anything unusual or large. Provided he's not dead in 48 hours I'm going to asked the vet for that pain killer next time. He hasn't been leaning or walking in circles. he is even trying to use his feet more and the swelling is a teeny tiny bit less.

Despite the vomit he's been active and acting normal. I offered him a horn worm but he declined. But he's never eaten worms of any kind for me ... I gave him some of the repta-aid which I think has a different name now. I don't know if he felt better with it but I felt better getting something in him. I'll try solid food tomorrow.

I'm glad to have the information even if I can't do anything with it ...

I just noticed you dabble in rescues so I thought I would share ;) It's a silent killer that not alot of people realise it happens with chameleons.

Hope Sasquatch feels better! Please keep us posted

If he started vomiting after starting a second antibiotic I would strongly recommend discontinuing the second one until you speak with your veterinarian. Some patients have allergic reactions to antibiotics and vomiting is one of the most common symptoms. I wonder if metacam is appropriate for use in chameleons as it is an anti-inflammatory but can be hard on the kidneys or at least this is the case with felines.

Karen, I'm so sorry your guy isn't improving. :-(. He's definitely getting a better life with you than he would have with the idiot that sold him to you. Wish I could have a few minutes alone with the dude to make his feet contract some sort of painful infection - then just watch him squirm!

As far as the painkiller, one Of my previous females had an injection of it after her surgery - but it was a pretty painful shot & her ankle -foot area got so sore from the shot she couldn't use that leg for a few days.

Hang in there. You're doing a Great job!!

Back
Top Bottom