Looking for advice for spinal/nerve issue

about a week and a half ago rasputin's back legs lost all sensation. I've since taken him to the vet who said it could've either been from a fall or spinal infection. He's currently on two kinds of medication the vet recommended, but I'm not sure its helping as his tail has seemed to lose sensation as well

Screen Shot 2023-04-12 at 3.36.02 PM.png

this image isn't the best but notice his chromatophores have stopped working below his legs. this is new for his tail.
every once in a while his legs will move just a little bit, he can open and close his feet occasionally, but overall im not sure if this is getting worse, or the timeline for the healing process.
any helpful info/advice would be appreciated

Have they done any imaging studies, such as X rays or ultrasound to see if there’s anything pressing on the spinal nerves or something like a fracture?

Have they done any imaging studies, such as X rays or ultrasound to see if there’s anything pressing on the spinal nerves or something like a fracture?
They didn’t because the vet told me that regardless of the x ray the treatment would be the same. I think it might be an infection however, as the problem is affecting his tail now and it didn’t before

:unsure: But without imaging, how would they be able to rule out a fracture or tumor?
What is the medication that was prescribed? I am pretty much out of my knowledge base here, but other members who know so much more will be wanting to know. I really hope you find some good answers for your handsome guy.

Is this the chameleon that had the hip bones protruding in a strange way?
Maybe it’s whats causing the issue? Pinching nerves maybe? I’m not a vet…just wondering.

Is this the chameleon that had the hip bones protruding in a strange way?
Maybe it’s whats causing the issue? Pinching nerves maybe? I’m not a vet…just wondering.
Yes thats him. i dont believe its the hips although that might be exacerbating it. When the vet was analyzing him he started to feel more pain as she went further down the spine. The nerves are being blocked by something, and whatever it is i think its spreading to his tail.

Is one of the medications a steroid or an anti-inflammatory?

Your vet is likely correct about imaging. There are only so many drugs available for these guys and a tumor or fracture wouldn't be treatable surgically in such a small animal.
You can always seek a second opinion.

Is one of the medications a steroid or an anti-inflammatory?

Your vet is likely correct about imaging. There are only so many drugs available for these guys and a tumor or fracture wouldn't be treatable surgically in such a small animal.
You can always seek a second opinion.
Yes one of them is metacam 1 which im giving him every day and the other is tramadol which im giving him every 3 days. One or both of those is anti inflammatory i believe

Metacam is an anti-inflammatory and Tramadol is for pain. Your vet may try a steroid as a last resort but I don't know if they are ever used in reptiles.

Back
Top Bottom