Use of Cortisone in Chameleons

Miss Lily

Chameleon Enthusiast
Has anyone had experience of using Cortisone injections with chameleons? Tommy was given his first shot of this earlier today and I'd like to hear from people who have used this to treat chameleons. Did it help or not? I have tried the search function, but it hasn't flagged anything up for me.

I am sure we have people on here who have used cortisone for chameleons. I will get out my reptile surgery and medicine and see what I can find.

Ok Tiff I still don't know much. Mader said that it is indicated and useful in situations like Tommy has. That it will reduce swelling and increase mobility. Also he said reptiles are much less likely to have complications than amphibians.

I have a "ask the vet" link, I will give that a try and see if I can get more info.

Howdy,

Funny coincidence; I had a big shot of cortisone into my shoulder today :(. Since then it feels like someone gave me the biggest "knuckle-punch" there :eek:.

Howdy,

Funny coincidence; I had a big shot of cortisone into my shoulder today :(. Since then it feels like someone gave me the biggest "knuckle-punch" there :eek:.

Dave,

I had that done to my foot 3 weeks ago...
it hurt so much for that day and the next, that I wanted to go back to my doctor and him with a baseball bat.
on the 3rd day I was fine and my foot hasn't hurt for three weeks now.
what a pleasure it is to be able to walk more then a block or two without crying.

give it another day before you wont feel any more pain.

I wish they would tell us that we will be hurting MORE over the next day or two before leaving the office. :rolleyes:

Harry

Dave and Harry, thank you for posting, and i hope you both feel better soon! Your experiences may explain why Tommy is still hanging his leg - it obviously hurts more now and will do before it starts to feel better. I was told that the effects would wear off by the end of the week, hence our return for a check up on Saturday afternoon.

Update

Tommy had his check up today. He was given a second shot of Cortisone and we have to go back again on Tuesday. He remembers where he is and what is going to happen as soon as I lift him out of the carry cage. Poor little man, I just want him to feel better.:(

I am so sorry that Tommy has to endure this. I have regular cortisone shots in my left knee so I know what it is. But for me it beats not walking without pain most of the time. I just wish Tommy could understand what & why this is happening to him. Mine are every 4 or 5 months & i hate them.:( Hang in there Tiff, it has to get better for him.

Poor lil guy, hes gotta be sore after i just had my first one not long ago i had surgery on my hand an two weeks after that the dr injected my thumb... i agree harry i wish theyd tell ya what its goin feel like my nurse told me i mite be a lil uncomfortabe... OMG you kiddin me it hurt worse then the part had surgery on was fine in a few days only prob is it didnt really seem to work, my thumb still hurts an feels numb an tingly when i touch it...

Poor little Tommy. I want to help him, not make things worse for him.:( I really hope that the Cortisone helps in the long run. He's been quite restless since we got home, bless him.:(

Laurie - how long does it hurt for after the injection? And how long until things are feeling better for you (as in pain free walking)?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom