Back from the Vet and not good :(

Well, I have some bad news. Last night when I was going to bed I found Reptar at the bottom of his cage completely limp. He isn't quite gone yet but it is looking like by the time I get back from work tonight he will no longer be with us :( I thought he was improving too. And what's the most frustrating of all, I did a lot of research and felt like I was doing everything I was supposed to. Are montane species THAT much harder to care for?

Oh geez mate,. that's a downer! :(
crossing my fingers anyway, but if if you should lose it, will you consider a necropsy?
Might be quite revealing since it was 1yr (?) when you got it.
Dont blame yourself, but if you do decide to get another, consider getting a youngster, this way theres less chance of inheriting health issues caused by the husbandry of the last owner.
Keep it warm if you can while your at work (heat the room maybe).
best wishes

Oh geez mate,. that's a downer! :(
crossing my fingers anyway, but if if you should lose it, will you consider a necropsy?
Might be quite revealing since it was 1yr (?) when you got it.
Dont blame yourself, but if you do decide to get another, consider getting a youngster, this way theres less chance of inheriting health issues caused by the husbandry of the last owner.
Keep it warm if you can while your at work (heat the room maybe).
best wishes

Well I don't exactly have extra cash right now for an autopsy because of unexpected expenses this month. Which is one reason I couldn't get an xray. My extra cash I saved to have for whatever may come up unfortunately wasn't enough for my tires AND chameleon care. And since I have to get to work I had to choose tires in this case. I do plan on getting another one, I just don't know when. When I do I am thinking Ambilobe. Aren't panthers a lot easier to care for? I've also decided on a youngster so he grows up with me and gets used to me. I doubt he inherited health issues since I got him from flchams, but you never know.

thanks again for your help.

What is the most common cause of Edema and how would you counter react the onset of Edema?
My first cham died due to my ignorance regarding cham husbandry/health etc... I didn't supplement at all, plus I purchase the wrong uv bulb (only bought uva :eek:). She developed a sever gular edema (which i didn't realize was abnormal until too late). If the gular edema gets big the cham cannot swallow solid food without choking due to the swollen throat & restricted trachea ; so it will choke to death or die of starvation if left untreated. I had no idea of the severity of my chams situation untill it was too late. The pet store I bought her at didn't tell me anything about what to buy or what she need to be healthy.

A trick that has worked for me. put you thumb and fore finger around the head and he should open wide. Its demostrated on the reptaid web site
I edited the original post with that info. I had it in another thread...

And is the liquid calcium at the pharmacy the SAME stuff? I have the Repta Aid calcium stuff, powder mixed with water to give a paste, but he literally will not open his mouth AT all...

Thank you. It's hard seeing him in this poor condition and really nothing I can do about it. :(

Sorry to join this thread late, but after reading through it and looking at your pics I don't see any indication that he had MBD (nice arched spinal posture, straight robust legs). I don't think you were undersupplementing him. But, without seeing his bone density we may never know. I think we forget that there are lots of reasons a cham can get sick and it might have nothing to do with diet alone. He may have been unwilling to move his front legs because something was hurting or he was feeling sick generally. Montane species can be very sensitive to dietary balance and we know less about their supplement requirements.

The Rept aid probably gave him a boost, but if the underlying problem wasn't diagnosed he might just relapse again. I wish I could help more, but didn't see any real red flags in your husbandry either.

Sorry to join this thread late, but after reading through it and looking at your pics I don't see any indication that he had MBD (nice arched spinal posture, straight robust legs). I don't think you were undersupplementing him. But, without seeing his bone density we may never know. I think we forget that there are lots of reasons a cham can get sick and it might have nothing to do with diet alone. He may have been unwilling to move his front legs because something was hurting or he was feeling sick generally. Montane species can be very sensitive to dietary balance and we know less about their supplement requirements.

The Rept aid probably gave him a boost, but if the underlying problem wasn't diagnosed he might just relapse again. I wish I could help more, but didn't see any real red flags in your husbandry either.

That's what I feel. The vet honestly didn't seem like he cared at all. All he wanted to do was an xray for bone density. Didn't mention ANYTHING else. Now, he's hardly using his back legs at all. I am on lunch from work and he is in the same spot (in a small hand towel I put at the bottom fo the cage) though, he is as bright as he possibly could be lol. I have ReptA Aid right now from Flukers, not Reptaid from whomever. I think I may order some Reptaid and see if that helps, if it's not too late. He's hanging in there! And, I'm sure it would be good to have anyways. Cross y'all's fingers!

I sincerely hope for the best for you, and your little guy. I'm really hoping he hangs in there. Good luck.

I sincerely hope for the best for you, and your little guy. I'm really hoping he hangs in there. Good luck.

thanks for you support!

So, I ordered some Reptaid that should be here Monday. I talked with Elliot from Reptaid and he actually has given me hope that he could be okay. He basically said the vet didn't seem as the most "qualified" in this case. He is thinking it might be parasites, and hopefully Reptaid will take care of that :) I put him in the shower and he is a little more active which is always a good sign. No drinking that I have seen yet. Keep your fingers crossed guys!

Well, he is still fighting like a champ. Really weak now, but still hangin in there! Hopefully he can hang in there until Monday when I get Reptaid...

Thanks for the support. I do think I will be getting a panther in the future. Not sure exactly when, but eventually. Time shall tell. Gonna miss the little bugger.

sorry to hear that man, it sucks when they go unecpected like this, when a connection was made.

if it were me, i would save up and get a necrocospy done , to put my mind at ease,

i burried my first jackosn female, and put a rose bush ontop of it, still growing and thriving :)

Back
Top Bottom