Babysitting Cham-- looks sick

chambabysitter1

I am babysitting a chameleon for my next door neighbor, as they are out of town for the week. I became interested in chameleons so I started researching information about them. I read about the various health issues that chameleons may have and I think she may be suffering from MBD pretty badly. This chameleon is not mine, but I want to inform my neighbors, who have obviously been neglecting her out of pet shop ignorance, about her well-being. Perhaps chameleons are not the right pet for them. I've included two photos, any idea on her prognosis?

I don't have a lot of money right now and she isn't my pet, but I would love rehabilitate her if possible.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage construction Glass-screen combo. 12x12x18 roughly.
* Lighting - I know for a fact it is not the correct UVB lighting. This is what worries me the most. It looks like a regular reptile heat bulb.
* Temperature - During the day I'd say the cage averages 86-90F. At night about 75-80F. The thermometer they are using it a plastic strip monitor... not very accurate.
* Humidity - No idea, no meter. This also worries me. She is misted plenty throughout the day with warm water.
* Plants - No live plants. There is topsoil on the bottom of the cage. This also worries me.
* Location - Low traffic, quiet area while at my house. I am not sure where they keep her in their house.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - I believe she is a female veiled (no spurs), roughly 6 months? I have had her for 5 days.
* Handling - I have only handled her once, as I know they do not like that. However, I believe they handle her quite often and did not understand that when she changes colors, she is upset.
* Feeding - They just feed her crickets from the petstore, not gut loaded, not dusted. She eats at least 6-7 a day.
* Supplements - No supplements.
* Watering - They mist her 3 times a day with plenty of warm water.
* Fecal Description - Brown, runny, yellow. Not good.
* History - The owners got her at a pet store. They were totally misinformed. Not much else is known.
* Current Problem - I am concerned that she has MBD, diarrhea, and probably an infection. She moves very sluggishly and her back legs often miss the branch. If her legs run into any leaves, they are easily resisted and she struggles to move them. Her ankles are also quite bent. She keeps her mouth slightly open and occasionally her left eye will bulge.

I know the outlook is not good, but is there anything that can be done to help her? Would it be more humane at this point to put her down? I have informed her owners about her condition and they seem relieved to let go of her. I am interested in getting a chameleon of my own, which is why I did some research on her, however I don't know if I am prepared (financially) to take on the responsibilities of such a sick chameleon.

P1016360.jpg

P1016363.jpg

that is definitely MBD, they only way for her(maybe him cant tell that well) to recover would be to visit a vet immediately and have calcium shots and probably a strict diet of feeders dusted with calcium and other supplements.

A new uv light would definitely be needed as well as a much larger cage.

Thank you for your response Rocky. It seems that they just want to get rid of her, so I have offered to take on only if I can afford the cost of making her better and if her chances of recovery are decent. I don't know want to sound like I don't care, but I didn't intend to take on a sick animal.

Could you possibly give me (if you know) some price estimates on calcium shots? I am in Long Beach, CA and I goggled and found a reptile veterinarian in the city, but they're closed for the holiday today.

If it is, that casque is messed up!!!! And, she has MBD. You can tell by the bowed legs. Get her to a vet ASAP.

If that's close to LA there's two great chameleon vets there. Will post you their names in a minute. To me she looks as tho she could be saved with immediate vet attention and the proper lighting and supplements. Jann

Here are two excellent vets if you are close to the LA area.
Dr. Tom Greek
23687 Via Del Rio
Yorba Linda, CA 92887
714-463-1190 or 866-940-7028

Dr. Geoff Stein
(Dr. Shipp's Animal Hospital)
351 N. Foothill Rd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
310-550-0101

Last edited:
If that's close to LA there's two great chameleon vets there. Will post you their names in a minute. To me she looks as tho she could be saved with immediate vet attention and the proper lighting and supplements. Jann

I would really appreciate those Vet names, thank you. Any idea on the cost of vet care?

Around this time last year, I took my 2-3 month old male veiled to the vet for a severe case of MBD. I go to a vet in Thosand Oaks, CA. My first trip cost me about $130 for the exam fee, calcium injections, antibiotic injections and the take-home medications (Baytril and NeoCal). I went for a check-up visit about two months later and the vet gave another calcium injection plus a dewormer for the parasites found in his feces and more NeoCal. The second trip cost me about the same as the first. With both trips I spent close to $300, if I remember correctly. The price was more than worth it to bring my little guy back to health.

I spent about 5 months force feeding/watering and giving oral injections. It was very hard seeing how unhappy my chameleon was with me during this time, but it was for the best. Finally, after 5 months of playing nurse to my chameleon, he was healthy enough that I ended his treatments. The best part was that the vet said that the odds of my chameleon surviving all of the stress was very unlikely. My little guy is such a trooper and I couldn't be happier with him now. Buddy, on the other hand, totally hates me now thanks to the nightly injections. He is just as much fun as any grumpy male veiled and I know that means he is healthy.

Only you can make the decision as far as spending the money goes, but I always think it is worth a try. Not all chameleons make it through MBD, but mine is living proof.

Also, I noticed that your little girl has a pucker to her lips. Mine had his lips just the same and after a few months they started to close on their own.

Here are two excellent vets if you are close to the LA area.
Dr. Tom Greek
23687 Via Del Rio
Yorba Linda, CA 92887
714-463-1190 or 866-940-7028

Dr. Geoff Stein
(Dr. Shipp's Animal Hospital)
351 N. Foothill Rd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
310-550-0101

Thank you, those are both about 20 miles from me, so not too bad.

Please keep us updated. I'm so glad you did research on chams! She looks like along with MBD her casque was burned. It looks deformed. Your neighbors going on vacation may have been the best thing that could have happened to her

I'm not trying to sound rude at all but perhaps you should look into giving her to a rehab place.

ChamEO is a chameleon education and outreach foundation that is actually reckognized as a non profit organization. They take in animals that have sever health problems and rehabilitate them until they can be adopted out.

http://www.chameo.org/aboutus.html That is a link to their site.

I am not trying to put you off chameleons, but having a really sick chameleon as a starter is a horrible idea in my opinion. It could be a really bad experience. If you really want to get into chameleons there is a groups around your area that meets monthly and there are a lot of resources that can help you set up an environment for a healthy chameleon.

I am just giving you the chamEO link because they are probably more suited to take care of a animal in poor condition and it would give you a chance to get a chameleon that would give you a better experience.

Good luck with whatever choice you make though.

I'm not trying to sound rude at all but perhaps you should look into giving her to a rehab place.

ChamEO is a chameleon education and outreach foundation that is actually reckognized as a non profit organization. They take in animals that have sever health problems and rehabilitate them until they can be adopted out.

http://www.chameo.org/aboutus.html That is a link to their site.

I am not trying to put you off chameleons, but having a really sick chameleon as a starter is a horrible idea in my opinion. It could be a really bad experience. If you really want to get into chameleons there is a groups around your area that meets monthly and there are a lot of resources that can help you set up an environment for a healthy chameleon.

I am just giving you the chamEO link because they are probably more suited to take care of a animal in poor condition and it would give you a chance to get a chameleon that would give you a better experience.

Good luck with whatever choice you make though.

Not rude at all! I totally respect that and that is what I wanted to do. I actually just sent that organization a email with some pictures of her and my situation.

she is a member here.
Her ID name is Chamelisa.
Her name is Elisa Hinkle.

Long Beach is closer to Dr. Tom Greek, i believe.
He's an excellent vet.
All my chams go to him when they need health check.

well i am sure she can help you and eventually maybe help you set up into a chameleon that you would enjoy and not have problems right of the bat with.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/groups/south-bay-chameleon-keepers.html

that is the group of people in your area that meet every month and talk about chameleon stuff and show off what they have.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/january-27th-tues-south-19819/ that is a link to their last meeting. there should be a post about the next one soon

edit: I knew she was a member i just couldnt remember her name >.< good luck

Thank you all for your input. The owners have agreed to give her to a rescue. I am on the phone with Elisa right now and she has agreed to take her. :)

Back
Top Bottom