Babysitting Cham-- looks sick

Back from the Vet

Hey, just wanted to let you know how it went at the vet clinic.

She's 37 grams. The MBD is severe, but there are a lot of good signs. She is eating on her own, drinking, climbing around.

The vet said we should continue with the Neocalglucon therapy for now. He gave her a multi-vitamin shot and said if her twitching doesn't go away in the next two weeks that I should bring her back and he will give her a shot to help her bones absorb the calcium better.

So I will update you if anything else changes, good or bad.

That's great!! Good job, Elisa! Keep us updated. It is great that you were near and could take the little cham; anywhere else and it probably would have ended in euthanasia. :\

WOW.. Reminds me of Gumby. Not making light of the subject but thats some serious bending at the joints..and her casque is almost nonexistent.. WOW.. Well I hope everything goes your way. What a great Chamsitter you are!

I am so glad to hear that little Maggie is doing better. I hope the outcome turns out to be a positive one. Sadly this isn't a win win for anyone.

Poor neighbor child will probably hate me forever. I mean one minute in his mind his chameleon is fine, then he has the neighbor watch it, suddenly she is sick and he has to give her up. I do feel quite guilty even though I know I did the right thing. He is 10 though, kids bounce back from that kind of stuff, right? He has been crying for days.

Elisa, I really can't thank you enough. Kayleigh and I had nobody to turn to in this situation and were totally hit by a bullet train out of nowhere. We are so glad to know that she is in caring and experienced hands.

We look forward to seeing you again on Tuesday, while we aren't freezing and shuffling for time. :p

Glad to hear she can recover. Sad to hear the little kid is crying.. I usually didn't bounce back from stuff like that for a while - even over simple fish!

That's great!! Good job, Elisa! Keep us updated. It is great that you were near and could take the little cham; anywhere else and it probably would have ended in euthanasia. :\

Kenya, I had no idea where they were when they contacted me. I thought this female was going to arrive via FedEx. :eek: Which would have been fine too. I think she'll be ok but I'll keep everyone updated one way or the other.

Hey Chris, I'm really glad you and Kayleigh are planning to join us on Tuesday. It's a lot of fun and we all look forward to it every month. :)

Last edited:
HAHA Sweetness?!

Hi Chambabysitter1,

Does she have a name? Sometimes people like to keep the original name of the chameleon.

CALY-F2rehab0209_000.jpg

We adopted a pitbull a few years ago and the owner at that time called her Sweetness. We promptly changed it to Maggie. I read somewhere that "Maggie" is one of the most common dog names used. I didn't know. I thought we were clever and I was inspired by my friend Jaylyn in Canada who had a female veiled named Maggie. But come on... Sweetness???

LOL sweetness?!

Now I know how to drive you nuts next time.....

My sister had a cat who she got from a lady.her name was 'Diana'. My sister named her 'August'. I guess I got tired of talking to the wall so I would just call her Diana and it pissed off my sister. Mostly because the cat would come when I was calling her Diana and pay no attention to my sister.

WOW.. Reminds me of Gumby. Not making light of the subject but thats some serious bending at the joints..and her casque is almost nonexistent.. WOW.. Well I hope everything goes your way. What a great Chamsitter you are!

I just wanted the best healthcare possible for her. Whether I had to ship her or drive across the valley, it was a small sacrifice for something so major to a small creature like it's life.

Update on Rescue

It's been a little more than two weeks since this Veiled was seen by a vet. The improvements so far are very slight. But she is gaining strength.

Recovery is slow but she's getting good care, sunshine and plenty of water. She still twitches when she walks so I'm going ask the vet if he thinks she needs something more. The little mark on her side was caused by the multivitamin injection she got at the last vet visit.

CALY-F2rehab0309.jpg

What a little sweetheart she is...I bet she is going to be quite the little character when her health improves!

So glad she is getting a better quality of life and the care she needs :)

I am sorry but i dont want to read every ones post to know what is going on, but my god how did she get that bad, and good job for saving her (as long as you arent reponsible for her condition) keep up thegood work there is improvement

To bring you up to date

She is deformed because she was raised without UVB. She is doing better and getting calcium therapy.

One of today's posts could be misleading so I want to clarify for those who do not wish to read the history of this thread:

1. Chambabysitter (Chris) was the petsitter of this chameleon for a neighbor.
2. Chris did some research here and learned this chameleon wasn't right.
3. After getting some feedback, Chris decided to talk the family into giving the chameleon up to a rescue.
4. I received the veiled, had a vet check it out and started calcium therapy.
5. She is slowly getting better but she will never look like a perfect chameleon.

It is a very slow process to rehabilitate a chameleon. It is a slow process to unknowingly kill one too. People don't know what they're doing is wrong.

First they might see it when there is twitching. But they don't know if that's normal behavior or not. Then they see some strange curves or bends in the arms. Believe it or not, this is a very common scenario. The more information shared through pet stores, the more chameleons we can help. Not everyone has a computer and many people don't spend enough time on the internet to figure out there is a forum like this waiting to help them.

I may never be able to place her into a new home. A lot of people don't want to be bothered with a strange looking chameleon. If that's the case, she will always have a place here with me.

OMFG!!! how can anyone not notice that. And if they did notice how could you let it suffer like that. Is she still okay? That is so sad.

OMFG!!! how can anyone not notice that. And if they did notice how could you let it suffer like that. Is she still okay? That is so sad.

Read the entire thread first and you might actually understand. I am so tired of posts like this.

Hoping for the best for this little one.
She is up for adoption and making a pretty okay recovery. I am trying to allocate some things here, trying to adopt her perhaps.

I understand thats why I said how could THEY not notice that. I like what you did for her. I also think un experienced buyers should HAVE to read the care book before perchase. I apologize for my little brother cursing on here. He uses my acc. Not allowed now though LOL. GJ on taking responsibility for there reptile.

Thank God this cham made it to a decent home.

I nearly killed my first chameleon, too. We had the cage right, the lights, timers, moisture, etc., but I wasn't carefull enough about plant debris and he ate some dried twigs and got impacted. I also had his supplentation wrong, not understanding the difference between Minerall (O) and Minerall (I). My husband found Dave Weldon, somehow, through a somewhat haphazard google search while looking for help with the impaction. He got us up to speed and introduced us to this forum.

Thank God this cham made it to a decent home.

I nearly killed my first chameleon, too. We had the cage right, the lights, timers, moisture, etc., but I wasn't carefull enough about plant debris and he ate some dried twigs and got impacted. I also had his supplentation wrong, not understanding the difference between Minerall (O) and Minerall (I). My husband found Dave Weldon, somehow, through a somewhat haphazard google search while looking for help with the impaction. He got us up to speed and introduced us to this forum.

Seriously???!!!:eek: Dave Weldon is the network vortex!!! I love this guy.

It happens to even the best keepers. You start somewhere and you either learn and improve or you give up.

This little female is adorable in her quirkiness. She will be fine as an MBD rehab can be but she has been no trouble at all for me.

Back
Top Bottom