Baby veiled hanging upside down, HELP!!!

awesomesucram

Baby veiled hanging upside down, HELP!!! It is around 2.5 months old, Its feet is so small that it goes through the tiny pores of the top of the cage and hang upside down a lot of the time, even when the top of the cage is extremely hot due to the lightings.
I am afraid it will fall or it wont find its way back to the branches. Anyone help?
I tried to hold it and bring it back on to the branches but it got freaked out when I tried to do so.
Are there any ways to hold it so that I could bring it back to the branches?

Baby veiled keeps hanging upside down, HELP!!! It is around 2.5 months old, Its feet is so small that it goes through the tiny pores of the top of the cage and hang upside down a lot of the time, even when the top of the cage is extremely hot due to the lightings.
I am afraid it will fall or it wont find its way back to the branches. Anyone help?
I tried to hold it and bring it back on to the branches but it got freaked out when I tried to do so.

well first dont freak out lol. chams hang upside down a lot. but if its hanging onto the screen close to the lights just sitting there. it is most likely to cold in the cage. so he or she is trying to warm up. how big are the holes in your screen that its whole foot goes through???

and holding. sometimes they dont want moved. if its burning it then it needs to be moved and they will hiss and stuff but they typically wont bite. but when holding you really want them to come to you instead of you grabbing them. pulling them off the screen can hurt your cham. you have to be careful.

well first dont freak out lol. chams hang upside down a lot. but if its hanging onto the screen close to the lights just sitting there. it is most likely to cold in the cage. so he or she is trying to warm up. how big are the holes in your screen that its whole foot goes through???

and holding. sometimes they dont want moved. if its burning it then it needs to be moved and they will hiss and stuff but they typically wont bite. but when holding you really want them to come to you instead of you grabbing them. pulling them off the screen can hurt your cham. you have to be careful.
Here is a pic
08072012739.jpg

what kind of cage is that. i have never seen screen like that on one. id love to see the whole setup. i have never had a translucent veiled before so i dont have much advice for ya.

what are the temps on the cage and the temp of the basking spot. and are there sticks close to the top in the basking area. because they like to be high up. they will move up and down the cage to regluate there own heat. but they need a basking spot. for a female it should be about 80 for a male it should be between 85 and 90 i keep mine closer to 85. i feel 90 is a little high.

Baby veiled hanging upside down, HELP!!! It is around 2.5 months old, Its feet is so small that it goes through the tiny pores of the top of the cage and hang upside down a lot of the time, even when the top of the cage is extremely hot due to the lightings.

That's totally normal. I got Mulberry when he was 2 weeks, and he's now 10 months old and still hangs upside down from time to time. He did it much more when he was younger though. Totally normal...

what kind of cage is that. i have never seen screen like that on one. id love to see the whole setup. i have never had a translucent veiled before so i dont have much advice for ya.

what are the temps on the cage and the temp of the basking spot. and are there sticks close to the top in the basking area. because they like to be high up. they will move up and down the cage to regluate there own heat. but they need a basking spot. for a female it should be about 80 for a male it should be between 85 and 90 i keep mine closer to 85. i feel 90 is a little high.
mine is a male and i keep it around 90 for basking.
28062012698.jpg

28062012703-1.jpg

as the other person that posted said. it is quite normal. my 8month old male panther does it all the time to. but he usually avoids his lights.

one thing i will suggest. get rid of the substrate. if ingested. which happens a lot it can kill your cham. and you would be surprised how often that happens. people post about it a lot.

i would also suggest more leaves. because as you know they drink the water droplets off the leaves. so more leaves gives more opportunity to get a drink.

the only time you really want dirt or anything in the bottom of the cage is for pygmys. there more ground dwelling chams.

as the other person that posted said. it is quite normal. my 8month old male panther does it all the time to. but he usually avoids his lights.

one thing i will suggest. get rid of the substrate. if ingested. which happens a lot it can kill your cham. and you would be surprised how often that happens. people post about it a lot.

i would also suggest more leaves. because as you know they drink the water droplets off the leaves. so more leaves gives more opportunity to get a drink.

the only time you really want dirt or anything in the bottom of the cage is for pygmys. there more ground dwelling chams.
What species of plants do you put in your cage ?

if your cage is glass on the sides how is he getting access to the top?. You need some more plants and foilage for him to feel safe and secure. You look like you have a translucent Veild. Where did you get him from? Substrate removal would be very wise. Also why types of lights are you using. Do you have both basking and UVB?

What species of plants do you put in your cage ?

i have pothos. i love to use umbrella trees and my chams love them too. but there all potted plants that have large rocks covering the dirt. one has that reptile rug covering the dirt.

there are tons of plants you can use..... go to FLchams.com and on the left hand side you will see safe plant list. click on that and it will give you a list of all the safe plants you can use.

There's also a plant database on this forum - here.
i have pothos. i love to use umbrella trees and my chams love them too. but there all potted plants that have large rocks covering the dirt. one has that reptile rug covering the dirt.

there are tons of plants you can use..... go to FLchams.com and on the left hand side you will see safe plant list. click on that and it will give you a list of all the safe plants you can use.

Thanks you two :)

Baby veileds sure like to do this. Your chameleon could be under some stress causing him to hang or march around the top which both my veileds did when they were acclimating to their new home. You're going to want to give him a bit of extra foliage so he can feel secure. Give him vines, branches, and foliage that will reach almost all the way to the top of the enclosure. Chameleons feel much safer if they can reach high points in their enclosure while still feeling relatively "hidden" and secure. My chameleon Nasir was marching around the top of his cage with stressed colors until I added several more basking options and extra foliage towards the top!

After doing so you will definitely need to make sure your basking spot isn't getting too hot for him. For a young one you'll want basking temps in the low 80's. I achieve this with a 40w basking bulb suspended about 5 inches from the top of the screen. This will make sure your little one isn't burned and has the appropriate temp to bask under! Just my 2 cents good luck! You're Cham is looking nice :)

If the cage top is too hot, raise the lamps so that he cannot burn himself. Like others have said, adding more plants will help make him feel more covered and secure so he may not try to climb on the top as much.

If the cage top is too hot, raise the lamps so that he cannot burn himself. Like others have said, adding more plants will help make him feel more covered and secure so he may not try to climb on the top as much.
How should I take the cham out when I have to change the set up ?

You can gently use your hand or a stick. Use a finger (or stick) and slowly put it under his chin and lift up gently until he grabs onto your finger/stick then move your hand/stick out of the cage. Or, if he is a runner, use one hand behind him to scare him onto your other hand (which you should put in front of him.)

Another way that may work is setting a plant in front of the cage with the doors open so he climbs out onto it. That would only work if you have an extra plant (live or fake) in addition to the ones you are adding.

Back
Top Bottom