baby chameleon keeps climbing upside down on screen

wazername

So I just got a baby Panther chameleon 4 days ago, I think maybe he is just adjusting, but he gets really dark and climbs around upside down on the screen all the time, every time I enter the room he is up there. When he is not on the screen he is a light grey. He eats and drinks and is very active, I am just curious as to why he is always up there.
Also there are no lights sitting on the cage because of this I made sure they were all hanging so he doesn't get burned.
Is this normal baby chameleon behavior or is something wrong?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male Panther Chameleon, he is almost 3 months. I have had him for 4 days.
Handling - Never, trying to let him adjust to his new home
Feeding - I feed him about 10 crickets a day. They are gutloaded with fresh fruits and veggies the night before. He is fed in the morning. I also have started offering him small superworms. I plan to order more types of feeders online since they don't sell anything else here. I have seen him eat many times.
Supplements - rep-cal calcium without D3(5 days a week), rep-cal with D3 (once a week) and herptivite (once a week)
Watering - I have an automatic mister, I also occasionally mist since the auto mister doesn't spray very far, I also have a dripper. I see him drink all the time.
Fecal Description - His poop is normal white and dark.
History - Just got him 4 days ago

Cage Info:
Cage Type - reptibreeze small screen cage
Lighting - reptisun 5.0 and a 60 watt daytime heat bulb
Temperature - His basking spot ranges from about 80-85
Humidity - His humidity stays around 70%, I use an automister and I also use a spray bottle to mist during the day
Plants - I am going to purchase one this week
Placement - He is up on a dresser in my room, there is no traffic and its very quiet.
Location - Houston, Texas

Current Problem - He won't stay off the top of his cage, he likes to stay hanging upside down. I don't know if maybe he just wants to get out. He seems fine otherwise.

Thank you for the reply, I will raise the light up more away from the cage and see if it cools down, he has a lot of vines, I will try to get a pic of them tonight. Maybe his vines are too low and he needs more levels. I am afraid to change them up though as I would have to remove him from the enclosure and don't want to cause him too much stress. Also I will cut back on the supplementing, thank you for the link.

I agree with jannb, you said you dont have a plant in there so unless you have a ton of vines and branches in there it might feel like theres nowhere warm for it to climb around but the top of the screen :)

I will say mine do that too I have vines and two real plants in their cages but I guess they need more but they might be doing it as a hunting thing too so if anyone has anyother ideas as to why i would open to them too!!

fixed the light so now it is farther away. Also now that I really look at his cage after studying other enclosures, I think the problem is the vines do not have enough levels for him. I do think it needs a live plant as well. I think I am going to run out and get one tomorrow.
I want to fix them but again I am fearful that it would stress him out a lot since he doesn't seem to like me much haha.

Here is a close up of the vines
DSC_0002-1.jpg

Here is a pic of him
DSC_0003-1.jpg

I am just curious as to why he is always up there.
Also there are no lights sitting on the cage because of this I made sure they were all hanging so he doesn't get burned.
Is this normal baby chameleon behavior or is something wrong?

Lots of baby chams do this. I know my little veileds drove me crazy hanging right under their lights. As long as he has places to hide, paths to reach all parts of his cage so he can regulate his temp, eat, drink, can't get too close to a heat spot he's probably OK. When he gets bigger and hanging by his toes isn't as easy he should stop.

Back
Top Bottom