Baby Cham acting out of ordinary

Freyja737

Good evening everyone ! =)
Soo I’d like to ask about a couple of things I hope I’m not worrying for no reason.
1. I was out of the country and had someone come in everyday to feed my baby cham. He had a box of Terfly in his cage which were all over the place, also he was given 10 crickets every day. (The last days he doesn’t eat much - one day 4 crickets, one day 7 and so on…) He seemed in good health, but a few days after I came back he started hanging under the basking light and the uv light most of the day. He had been showing colors I haven’t seen on him before. His resting colors seem a bit gray-ish, but most of the time he has these darker colors with stripes. Couple days ago he slept an hour before lights out. I thought that since lately there is light really early in the morning he has been awake a long time so I changed the lights out time to 19:30( it was 8-20 since I have him). Yesterday and today he slept even earlier at 18. Yesterday specifically he has been climbing frantically all over the walls and top of the cage for hours, which I had never seen before either. I’m just wondering if this sort of behavior is normal. Here’s photos of his colors lately. (1st photo is his usual resting colors, 2nd his resting colors lately and last photo how he looks most of the time the last days)
2. His lights now are on at 7:30-19:30.
Automatic misting with Monsoon Multi 2 at 6am, 2pm and 10pm for 2mins.
His only food for now is crickets and Terfly, because it’s really hard to get anything else in Germany. Because of that actually I still haven’t started taming him… Do you guys think it could work with the crickets? I’m open to advice and suggestions, because I still feel kinda lost.

Attachments

• 9CEC15AD-7400-4C10-83EF-18D5060B49DD.jpeg
    9CEC15AD-7400-4C10-83EF-18D5060B49DD.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 79ED5A8C-4D04-4E52-A856-72E24A5AD34E.jpeg
    79ED5A8C-4D04-4E52-A856-72E24A5AD34E.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 3C6A9244-04A9-4B20-B31E-78BBAC654FCD.jpeg
    3C6A9244-04A9-4B20-B31E-78BBAC654FCD.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 58
Hi and welcome. :) You have a tiny adorable baby. Let’s try to get so he’s feeling and doing better. I’d like to see some photos of his entire enclosure, including the lights. I have lots of questions too. The easiest way is for you to answer the following (cut & paste) and then one of us can better see if there’s something that needs to be corrected. Babies are very fragile and if one seemingly small item is wrong with their husbandry, they have no resources to fall back on. I will be starting work in about an hour and hopefully it will be an easy night and I can respond to your reply. Or others may be around instead.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

So here’s all the details necessary about little Nugget and his home.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, male, hatched in January. I have him since March 11
  • Handling - I handle him only when necessary (In the beginning we had trouble with his first tiny cage and I hade to take him out a few times)
  • Feeding - I feed him 10 crickets a day. The last days he doesn’t eat all or any at all. I am gut loading them with salad, apples, carrots. Earlier I had a box with Terfly in the cage, but they were very small and infested my home so I removed them for now.
  • Supplements - I dust the crickets with Repti calcium every day and on the 15th and 30th of the month Reptivite
  • Watering - I have the Monsoon Multi 2. Best settings I could come up with is misting every 8 hours - 6am, 2pm and 10pm for 2mins. I do see him drink.
  • Fecal Description - His urate is white and his droppings are blackish. Last days smaller in size since he hasn’t been eating properly. He has never been tested for parasites.
  • History - We had a rough start since he was a gift and I wasn't at all prepared to house such a pet. He got really stressed from me having to take him out of his 1st cage, which got flooded by a dripping plant 3 times in a row. Also the first couple of weeks he had to spend without a UV light.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Cage is Reptibreeze all screen. 61x61x122cm. I covered the back and two sides with Tarpaulin.
  • Lighting -1. Exo Terra Reptile dome 21cm with a Trixie 50W Basking spot lamp. 2. Reptisun Terrarium Hood T5 HO with Reptisun 5.0 UVB. Lights are on at 7:30am and go off at 7:30pm.
  • Temperature - Basking spot 26-29. Cage floor ~ 21-22 . Lowest overnight temp ~22-24C which sadly I can’t get any lower even though I leave the window wide open for hours even before lights out? At the moment I am using a device I measure the temp with at home since the one I ordered wasn’t working properly…I need a recommendation for a good working one please.
  • Humidity - Day 40-50%, Night - 60-70%. The Monsoon mists at 10pm for 2 mins. and a bit later I hand mist. I measure the humidity with the same device I measure the temperature with. It has no brand
  • Plants - I am using only live plants- Pothos(which is sadly dying for unknown to me reasons), Bromelia, Schefflera, Ficus Benjamina, Spider plant
  • Placement - The cage is in my living room, which is sadly a high traffic area. Whenever I walk past I try to crawl or sneak so I don’t bother him, but I think it’s not working. The top of the cage relative to my room floor is 175cm.
  • Location - I am located in northern Germany

Current Problem - The last days he hasn’t been eating much (4-7 small crickets) or barely at all. He hangs a lot head down under the uv and basking lamps, which until now he never did. Couple days ago he was climbing like crazy all over the cages walls, which I found odd as well. Last three days he slept at 7pm, next day at 6pm and day after that again at 6pm ( which is quite some time before lights out). Yesterday he didn’t eat anything at all, today he doesn’t seem like he will either. Also today he started closing snd opening his eyes around 4pm and he is already on the back of the Ficus benjamina where he usually sleeps. He had a pretty good sleep schedule before I went away on vacation - Every day he used to go to his sleeping spot exactly at 7:30pm and slept at 8 when lights went out. Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong with him? I also have concerns about his colors - pics are above in my previous message

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 66
Hi and welcome. A plant light would be beneficial like arcadia jungle dawn, you could put more vertical branches on the right hand side to optimise as much of the enclosure as possible, also more plants for plenty of hiding spaces, has he eaten any of the plants? Do you have pictures of your supplements? Also adding a wide variety of feeders ( locusts, black soldier fly larve, dubia roaches and silkworms are all good staple feeders

Good evening everyone ! =)
Soo I’d like to ask about a couple of things I hope I’m not worrying for no reason.
1. I was out of the country and had someone come in everyday to feed my baby cham. He had a box of Terfly in his cage which were all over the place, also he was given 10 crickets every day. (The last days he doesn’t eat much - one day 4 crickets, one day 7 and so on…) He seemed in good health, but a few days after I came back he started hanging under the basking light and the uv light most of the day. He had been showing colors I haven’t seen on him before. His resting colors seem a bit gray-ish, but most of the time he has these darker colors with stripes. Couple days ago he slept an hour before lights out. I thought that since lately there is light really early in the morning he has been awake a long time so I changed the lights out time to 19:30( it was 8-20 since I have him). Yesterday and today he slept even earlier at 18. Yesterday specifically he has been climbing frantically all over the walls and top of the cage for hours, which I had never seen before either. I’m just wondering if this sort of behavior is normal. Here’s photos of his colors lately. (1st photo is his usual resting colors, 2nd his resting colors lately and last photo how he looks most of the time the last days)
2. His lights now are on at 7:30-19:30.
Automatic misting with Monsoon Multi 2 at 6am, 2pm and 10pm for 2mins.
His only food for now is crickets and Terfly, because it’s really hard to get anything else in Germany. Because of that actually I still haven’t started taming him… Do you guys think it could work with the crickets? I’m open to advice and suggestions, because I still feel kinda lost.
Ooo also has your baby had a fecal test done for parasites?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, male, hatched in January. I have him since March 11
  • Handling - I handle him only when necessary (In the beginning we had trouble with his first tiny cage and I hade to take him out a few times)
  • Feeding - I feed him 10 crickets a day. He should be getting more like 15-18 every day The last days he doesn’t eat all or any at all. Are they small enough? Anything bigger than the space between his eyes is too big. I am gut loading them with salad, apples, carrots. This could be improved upon. Graphics below to help. Earlier I had a box with Terfly in the cage, but they were very small and infested my home so I removed them for now.
  • Supplements - I dust the crickets with Repti calcium every day and on the 15th and 30th of the month Reptivite Very important - do either of these contain vitamin D3?
  • Watering - I have the Monsoon Multi 2. Best settings I could come up with is misting every 8 hours - 6am, 2pm and 10pm for 2mins. I do see him drink. Perfect
  • Fecal Description - His urate is white and his droppings are blackish. Last days smaller in size since he hasn’t been eating properly. He has never been tested for parasites. It’s always a good idea to test and since he isn’t doing so well now, I do suggest a veterinary visit and a fecal check.
  • History - We had a rough start since he was a gift and I wasn't at all prepared to house such a pet. He got really stressed from me having to take him out of his 1st cage, which got flooded by a dripping plant 3 times in a row. Also the first couple of weeks he had to spend without a UV light.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Cage is Reptibreeze all screen. 61x61x122cm. I covered the back and two sides with Tarpaulin. Perfect
  • Lighting -1. Exo Terra Reptile dome 21cm with a Trixie 50W Basking spot lamp. 2. Reptisun Terrarium Hood T5 HO with Reptisun 5.0 UVB. Lights are on at 7:30am and go off at 7:30pm. Perfect
  • Temperature - Basking spot 26-29. Cage floor ~ 21-22 . Lowest overnight temp ~22-24C which sadly I can’t get any lower even though I leave the window wide open for hours even before lights out? Temps are good. At the moment I am using a device I measure the temp with at home since the one I ordered wasn’t working properly…I need a recommendation for a good working one please. There are many different brands. You want a digital thermometer with a probe that you can place at basking area
  • Humidity - Day 40-50%, Night - 60-70%. It would be better not to raise humidity at night unless you can get your night temps below at least 20c. The Monsoon mists at 10pm for 2 mins. and a bit later I hand mist. I measure the humidity with the same device I measure the temperature with. It has no brand
  • Plants - I am using only live plants- Pothos(which is sadly dying for unknown to me reasons), Usually is due to over or under watering Bromelia, Schefflera, Ficus Benjamina, Spider plant As @Flick boy has said, you should invest in a good plant light to keep your plants not just alive, but thriving
  • Placement - The cage is in my living room, which is sadly a high traffic area. Whenever I walk past I try to crawl or sneak so I don’t bother him, but I think it’s not working. The top of the cage relative to my room floor is 175cm. Again, @Flick boy advised to add more plants for hiding spots which will help him feel safer. I have the fake plants I started with attached to the outside of my enclosure for extra feeling of privacy. I’d also advise adding more branches and vines of different diameters to exercise his little feet and leg muscles. You can use natural branches from outside. Avoid pine and other wood that has sap or an odor. Wash with dish soap, rinse very well and they are good to use.

Current Problem - The last days he hasn’t been eating much (4-7 small crickets) or barely at all. He hangs a lot head down under the uv and basking lamps, which until now he never did. Couple days ago he was climbing like crazy all over the cages walls, which I found odd as well. Last three days he slept at 7pm, next day at 6pm and day after that again at 6pm ( which is quite some time before lights out). Yesterday he didn’t eat anything at all, today he doesn’t seem like he will either. Also today he started closing snd opening his eyes around 4pm and he is already on the back of the Ficus benjamina where he usually sleeps. He had a pretty good sleep schedule before I went away on vacation - Every day he used to go to his sleeping spot exactly at 7:30pm and slept at 8 when lights went out. Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong with him? Have you looked carefully at his belly and feet? When babies walk upside down on their screen tops, they place themselves at high risk for burns from the lights. You definitely want to raise your lights at least 5-7 cm until he’s gotten too big to walk upside down. If he has burns, you’ll need a vet to treat him. I do think a vet visit is a good idea regardless to better figure out what is wrong. I can only make guesses. My biggest question is if he’s getting enough or too much vitamin D3. I also have concerns about his colors - pics are above in my previous message I’d have little concern about his colors. While we are used to seeing the chameleons with the beautiful bright colors, those are their excited or fired up colors. When relaxed, they are much duller and muted. Pics below of my sweet boy when he was relaxed and when he was upset that I was holding him.
IMG_0151.jpeg
IMG_1188.jpeg

IMG_1224.jpeg IMG_1043.jpeg

So here’s all the details necessary about little Nugget and his home.

Chameleon Info:
  • Feeding - I feed him 10 crickets a day. The last days he doesn’t eat all or any at all. I am gut loading them with salad, apples, carrots. Earlier I had a box with Terfly in the cage, but they were very small and infested my home so I removed them for now.
  • Supplements - I dust the crickets with Repti calcium every day and on the 15th and 30th of the month Reptivite
  • Watering - I have the Monsoon Multi 2. Best settings I could come up with is misting every 8 hours - 6am, 2pm and 10pm for 2mins. I do see him drink.
  • Fecal Description - His urate is white and his droppings are blackish. Last days smaller in size since he hasn’t been eating properly. He has never been tested for parasites.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Cage is Reptibreeze all screen. 61x61x122cm. I covered the back and two sides with Tarpaulin.
  • Lighting -1. Exo Terra Reptile dome 21cm with a Trixie 50W Basking spot lamp. 2. Reptisun Terrarium Hood T5 HO with Reptisun 5.0 UVB. Lights are on at 7:30am and go off at 7:30pm.
  • Temperature - Basking spot 26-29. Cage floor ~ 21-22 . Lowest overnight temp ~22-24C which sadly I can’t get any lower even though I leave the window wide open for hours even before lights out? At the moment I am using a device I measure the temp with at home since the one I ordered wasn’t working properly…I need a recommendation for a good working one please.
  • Humidity - Day 40-50%, Night - 60-70%. The Monsoon mists at 10pm for 2 mins. and a bit later I hand mist. I measure the humidity with the same device I measure the temperature with. It has no brand
  • Plants - I am using only live plants- Pothos(which is sadly dying for unknown to me reasons), Bromelia, Schefflera, Ficus Benjamina, Spider plant
  • Placement - The cage is in my living room, which is sadly a high traffic area. Whenever I walk past I try to crawl or sneak so I don’t bother him, but I think it’s not working. The top of the cage relative to my room floor is 175cm.

Current Problem - The last days he hasn’t been eating much (4-7 small crickets) or barely at all. He hangs a lot head down under the uv and basking lamps, which until now he never did. Couple days ago he was climbing like crazy all over the cages walls, which I found odd as well. Last three days he slept at 7pm, next day at 6pm and day after that again at 6pm ( which is quite some time before lights out). Yesterday he didn’t eat anything at all, today he doesn’t seem like he will either. Also today he started closing snd opening his eyes around 4pm and he is already on the back of the Ficus benjamina where he usually sleeps. He had a pretty good sleep schedule before I went away on vacation - Every day he used to go to his sleeping spot exactly at 7:30pm and slept at 8 when lights went out. Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong with him? I also have concerns about his colors - pics are above in my previous message
Hi I would recommend getting a fecal / parasite test done as soon as possible, ( not to scare but this is very important) where did you purchase you cham

Ooo also has your baby had a fecal test done for parasites?
He hasn’t, but where would he get them from. I mean I read that
Hi I would recommend getting a fecal / parasite test done as soon as possible, ( not to scare but this is very important) where did you purchase you cham
I purchased him from a breeder at an exotic animal exhibition here in Germany. Also to do a fecal test should I gather his poo before going to the vet and also could you recommend what the best way to carry him there? Some box maybe with something to climb on/hide in?

Chameleon Info:
  • Feeding - I feed him 10 crickets a day. He should be getting more like 15-18 every day The last days he doesn’t eat all or any at all. Are they small enough? Anything bigger than the space between his eyes is too big. I am gut loading them with salad, apples, carrots. This could be improved upon. Graphics below to help. Earlier I had a box with Terfly in the cage, but they were very small and infested my home so I removed them for now.
  • Supplements - I dust the crickets with Repti calcium every day and on the 15th and 30th of the month Reptivite Very important - do either of these contain vitamin D3?
  • Watering - I have the Monsoon Multi 2. Best settings I could come up with is misting every 8 hours - 6am, 2pm and 10pm for 2mins. I do see him drink. Perfect
  • Fecal Description - His urate is white and his droppings are blackish. Last days smaller in size since he hasn’t been eating properly. He has never been tested for parasites. It’s always a good idea to test and since he isn’t doing so well now, I do suggest a veterinary visit and a fecal check.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Cage is Reptibreeze all screen. 61x61x122cm. I covered the back and two sides with Tarpaulin. Perfect
  • Lighting -1. Exo Terra Reptile dome 21cm with a Trixie 50W Basking spot lamp. 2. Reptisun Terrarium Hood T5 HO with Reptisun 5.0 UVB. Lights are on at 7:30am and go off at 7:30pm. Perfect
  • Temperature - Basking spot 26-29. Cage floor ~ 21-22 . Lowest overnight temp ~22-24C which sadly I can’t get any lower even though I leave the window wide open for hours even before lights out? Temps are good. At the moment I am using a device I measure the temp with at home since the one I ordered wasn’t working properly…I need a recommendation for a good working one please. There are many different brands. You want a digital thermometer with a probe that you can place at basking area
  • Humidity - Day 40-50%, Night - 60-70%. It would be better not to raise humidity at night unless you can get your night temps below at least 20c. The Monsoon mists at 10pm for 2 mins. and a bit later I hand mist. I measure the humidity with the same device I measure the temperature with. It has no brand
  • Plants - I am using only live plants- Pothos(which is sadly dying for unknown to me reasons), Usually is due to over or under watering Bromelia, Schefflera, Ficus Benjamina, Spider plant As @Flick boy has said, you should invest in a good plant light to keep your plants not just alive, but thriving
  • Placement - The cage is in my living room, which is sadly a high traffic area. Whenever I walk past I try to crawl or sneak so I don’t bother him, but I think it’s not working. The top of the cage relative to my room floor is 175cm. Again, @Flick boy advised to add more plants for hiding spots which will help him feel safer. I have the fake plants I started with attached to the outside of my enclosure for extra feeling of privacy. I’d also advise adding more branches and vines of different diameters to exercise his little feet and leg muscles. You can use natural branches from outside. Avoid pine and other wood that has sap or an odor. Wash with dish soap, rinse very well and they are good to use.

Current Problem - The last days he hasn’t been eating much (4-7 small crickets) or barely at all. He hangs a lot head down under the uv and basking lamps, which until now he never did. Couple days ago he was climbing like crazy all over the cages walls, which I found odd as well. Last three days he slept at 7pm, next day at 6pm and day after that again at 6pm ( which is quite some time before lights out). Yesterday he didn’t eat anything at all, today he doesn’t seem like he will either. Also today he started closing snd opening his eyes around 4pm and he is already on the back of the Ficus benjamina where he usually sleeps. He had a pretty good sleep schedule before I went away on vacation - Every day he used to go to his sleeping spot exactly at 7:30pm and slept at 8 when lights went out. Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong with him? Have you looked carefully at his belly and feet? When babies walk upside down on their screen tops, they place themselves at high risk for burns from the lights. You definitely want to raise your lights at least 5-7 cm until he’s gotten too big to walk upside down. If he has burns, you’ll need a vet to treat him. I do think a vet visit is a good idea regardless to better figure out what is wrong. I can only make guesses. My biggest question is if he’s getting enough or too much vitamin D3. I also have concerns about his colors - pics are above in my previous message I’d have little concern about his colors. While we are used to seeing the chameleons with the beautiful bright colors, those are their excited or fired up colors. When relaxed, they are much duller and muted. Pics below of my sweet boy when he was relaxed and when he was upset that I was holding him.
View attachment 338060View attachment 338061
View attachment 338062View attachment 338063
-Today I put him 15 small crickets, he has eaten only 3 since 6am.
- I am considering buying Arcadia insect fuel
- The Reptivite do have D3
- I have looked carefully at his feet and belly and the skin looks perfect. He doesn’t seem to have burns. Today he was under the UV light again when I went to check on him.
- I will check who was the closest vet to me who treats reptiles and I could use a recommendation on the best way to carry him there so it’s least stressful for him. I’d like to get him checked too since I’m very worried.
- From his fecal droppings I found after I came back from my vacation I can say that he he had been eating really well. Maybe he is stressed from me being around

He hasn’t, but where would he get them from. I mean I read that

I purchased him from a breeder at an exotic animal exhibition here in Germany. Also to do a fecal test should I gather his poo before going to the vet and also could you recommend what the best way to carry him there? Some box maybe with something to climb on/hide in?
Yes you will need a fresh poo sample , he could have parasites from his previous enclosure, other animals he was housed near , lots of possibilities. He should be eating lots ,so lack of may be pointing to this

-Today I put him 15 small crickets, he has eaten only 3 since 6am.
- I am considering buying Arcadia insect fuel
- The Reptivite do have D3
- I have looked carefully at his feet and belly and the skin looks perfect. He doesn’t seem to have burns. Today he was under the UV light again when I went to check on him.
- I will check who was the closest vet to me who treats reptiles and I could use a recommendation on the best way to carry him there so it’s least stressful for him. I’d like to get him checked too since I’m very worried.
- From his fecal droppings I found after I came back from my vacation I can say that he he had been eating really well. Maybe he is stressed from me being around
Is it plain calcium no d3

@Freyja737 if it is going to take a bit of time before getting to a vet , you could contact them and ask if you can post a poo sample this would speed things up , are there any fb chameleon groups in Germany? Some members may do tests .

@Freyja737 if it is going to take a bit of time before getting to a vet , you could contact them and ask if you can post a poo sample this would speed things up , are there any fb chameleon groups in Germany? Some members may do tests .
The vet that’s closer who handles reptiles sadly can’t give me any appointments. So I’ve been calling others for a couple hours now. Didn’t realize it would be so hard to get an appointment. Found a clinic where they said I should bring them a fresh poo sample asap tomorrow best. I’m gonna have to make a small poo delivery trip.
I’m not aware about such fb groups, I didn’t even think of searching for one. Will do it now

The vet that’s closer who handles reptiles sadly can’t give me any appointments. So I’ve been calling others for a couple hours now. Didn’t realize it would be so hard to get an appointment. Found a clinic where they said I should bring them a fresh poo sample asap tomorrow best. I’m gonna have to make a small poo delivery trip.
I’m not aware about such fb groups, I didn’t even think of searching for one. Will do it now
Yeah be good to get it tested ASAP then at least you can either rule it in or out

Hey guys so today there was no poo at all so I couldn’t take anything to the vet. I just witnessed something which made me freak out so much. He was holding himself on a branch in a weird way looking like he’s trying to poop and literally a transparent drop went out of his butt, it looked like a tiny bubble and then I saw him wipe twice in the branch and went away. I immediately made a photo of it and saw blood traces from in the middle of it…

Attachments

• 685A869D-1962-43AA-9B8B-350381C76B1A.jpeg
    685A869D-1962-43AA-9B8B-350381C76B1A.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom