Baby Basil has coccidia advice needed

janjan20

Chameleon Enthusiast
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon – Male veiled chameleon, 2 ½ months (maybe 3 months), He has been in my care for 3 weeks.
  • Handling – Once or twice a week, mainly to check his weight.
  • Feeding – Crickets, red runner roaches, bsfl and bsf, occasional wax worm and hornworm (if small enough) 12-15 crickets daily, 3-5 bsfl, maybe 1-2 bsf (if they pupate), roaches 1-3. 1 wax worm (just started feeding him these) I set the feeder cup up in the morning with crickets and put the bsf in to fly around. Later in the afternoon around 2-3pm I try to hand feed the bsfl. Gutloading with Insect chow from fullthrottle feeders, dandelion leaves, apples for hydration and water crystals. I just ordered some Repashy superload.
  • Supplements – Repashy calcium with no D and the Cal+ with multivitamin. Dusting crickets and roaches every feeding with Cal no D but not the bsfl. I have not dusted with the Cal/Multivitamin yet. I will only do it once a month since he is outdoors.
  • Watering – Hand misting until the entire cage is soaked 2-3 times a day (morning, afternoon, evening) It usually takes me about 5 mins per session. I also do extra misting on my days off but shorter sessions. I always make sure it’s dry in between misting. I have a dripper set up to drip on leaves. I have only seen him drink maybe 2-3 times from the leaves and dripper. When I first got him and then about a week later. I am currently looking into an automatic mister to install outside.
  • Fecal Description – He poops every other day. Urate is small mainly white but has some yellow. The pic attached is not his most recent poop but the urate looks the same. It has been this color since I got him. Poop is brown and normal looking. I recently took a sample to the vet because since I got him I noticed there was an odor but I thought that it was normal because poop smells. The smell kept getting stronger so I dropped it off and found out he has coccidia.
  • History – I purchased him from FL Chams and I am the first owner.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type – Reptibreeze 2x2x4 screen; no substrate on the bottom just plastic floor.
  • Lighting – He is currently outside, I live in FL. He gets the morning sun from around 930-1130. I made sure he is not in direct sun for extended amounts of time. The sun moves around the cage during this time frame. He also gets sun in the late afternoon/evening around 4-6. The top is covered for shade so his basking spots are lower in the cage. I do have a 12% Arcadia linear light fixture, with a 75w basking bulb, and and infrared heating bulb (also Arcadia). Currently not using since he is outside.
  • Temperature – Cage floor 74-77, middle 82-84 and basking 87-89 (currently working on this) Overnight temps Range from low 60s-low 70s. I have a Fluker’s temp/hygro combo. I move it around the cage to get the readings. I will be getting a temp gun for more accurate readings.
  • Humidity – Day time range right now is between 40-60, it will probably go up during the summer. At night I spray the cage down and cover the sides. When I wake up I check and it averages about 76% sometimes higher.
  • Plants – 2 Pothos, Nasturtium, Umbrella tree, 2 Bromeliads, fake vines/leaves. I wanted to get more but they were small when I got them so I figured they would grow and fill out the cage a little more.
  • Placement – Backyard in a screened in patio. No fans or air vents. Just outside wind. I live about a block from the beach so maybe some sea breeze. Not high traffic during the week when we are at work. We do have squirrels and birds that live in the trees. I have a dog but she is inside and goes out on occasion, she rarely goes to sniff his cage. The cage is about 4’6” in height but I am working on raising it a bit higher.
  • Location – East coast, central FL
    Current Problem – Coccidia Dx; Right now he is too small to medicate per vet. He currently weighs 9g. I have been weighing him weekly and he has not gained any this week (He started around 7g). The vet does specialize in reptiles. My cham’s name is Basil. He is still eating really well and active. He shed a week after I got him and still has a couple patches on his head. He shed completely within a couple hours. I need advice on proper outside husbandry/disinfecting etc. since I am unable to treat him until he gets bigger. I got some 40 volume peroxide to spot clean his poop and anything it touches. I have not discarded the plants. I cleaned the feeder boxes. I still have larger roaches that I am not able to feed off. Should I get rid of them? Any other advice is greatly appreciated! The pics are attached. It just rained and I took the cover from the top so you can see inside the cage better.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-2.jpeg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpeg
    426.5 KB · Views: 167
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    520.5 KB · Views: 163
  • FullSizeRender-1.jpeg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpeg
    359.3 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_4745.jpeg
    IMG_4745.jpeg
    362.7 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_4757.JPG
    IMG_4757.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_4673.jpeg
    IMG_4673.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 184
Coccidia is a very contagious disease among the chameleon..the symptom can range from diarrhea..no appetite for feeders..and feeling lethargy..
The vet usually like to treat the Coccidia with the medication called Ponazuril,it all depends on ur vets experience n what they prefer to use..
The Coccidia is very hard to get rid off .if you have other cham in the house I will highly suggest to keep them as far away as possible.
The cage have to kept as clean also..the medication might need several doses in order to be get it under control.it will usually shows up on a stressful cham and multiply even in a faster rate.

Coccidia is a very contagious disease among the chameleon..the symptom can range from diarrhea..no appetite for feeders..and feeling lethargy..
The vet usually like to treat the Coccidia with the medication called Ponazuril,it all depends on ur vets experience n what they prefer to use..
The Coccidia is very hard to get rid off .if you have other cham in the house I will highly suggest to keep them as far away as possible.
The cage have to kept as clean also..the medication might need several doses in order to be get it under control.it will usually shows up on a stressful cham and multiply even in a faster rate.
Thank you for your response! I have no other Chams and thankfully he is not experiencing any of those symptoms yet...and hopefully he doesn’t.

@Blmelton recently dealt with a coccidia outbreak with her cham, Camo. Lots of great advice on that thread, if you have time to give it a read through! Coccidia is tough, and treating parasites in any juvenile animal is difficult. It's important that he's strong enough to handle the medication - keep feeding him as much as he'll eat, and hopefully he'll be treatable soon! In the mean time, keep him as stress free as you can, and his enclosure as clean as possible.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

~Amanda

@Blmelton recently dealt with a coccidia outbreak with her cham, Camo. Lots of great advice on that thread, if you have time to give it a read through! Coccidia is tough, and treating parasites in any juvenile animal is difficult. It's important that he's strong enough to handle the medication - keep feeding him as much as he'll eat, and hopefully he'll be treatable soon! In the mean time, keep him as stress free as you can, and his enclosure as clean as possible.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

~Amanda
Oo you beat me lol

Take a guess first everyone...here is the hint on the ingredients

Brown Mustard Seed 1,3,

Olive Leaf 1,3,4,

Jatoba 2,3,

Cloves 1,3,4

Other active ingredients:

Black Seed 2, 3 205 mg

Pau D'arco Bark 2,3,4 68 mg

Grapefruit Seed Extract 1,3 2 mg