Avocado in gutload

Bokaru

So I was doing some research and went and made a gutload for my crickets last week. I could have sworn that I saw avocados on the list of items to be good for a gutload, but after making it, I started to question it.

I looked around some more and saw that the leaves, fruit skin and seeds are bad, but I wasn't sure about the flesh of the fruit. I am assuming its bad too. I put it in there figuring it would be a good plant based fat.

I only added half an avocado to the roughly three gallons of load that I made so I didn't go overboard on the fattiness.

So..
Is the flesh bad?
Should I worry about my gutload since I didn't use a whole lot?

Thanks folks!

the flesh is safe for crickets and chameleon, in moderation. It contains much more phosphorous than calcium, so is not ideal.
Ive used it. though I cant say i liked using it as part of the gutload, so I no longer include it.

Do stay far away from the skin and the pit. Quite toxic.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback! I was afraid of the oxalic acid, but wasn't sure if there was much in the flesh. I guess if it has been used without problem then I should have nothing to fear. I guess most everything has oxalic acid in it, just avoid huge amounts.

I don't think I'm going to add it in next time though.

Back
Top Bottom