Average cost to make a screen cage?

Justin18

I'm looking to make my own 4x2x2 screen cage like the ones from LLL reptile, reptibreez, etc. I'm sure there are quite a few variables that could effect the cost but... What's the average cost when making your own cage?

P.S. I searched the forum before I posted this and couldn't find my answer...

Probably $30-50 in materials and a lotta curse words!! :D Plus labor. It'd take me at least an hour to make and I make $250/hour (just kidding ;) )

It really just depends on the quality of screen you use. Make sure to not get fiberglass screen. Rips easily and your feeders can chew through it.

Mine was about $80. And with multiple cages I prefer the easily assembled, consistent in appearance pre-made cages personally. And they cost about $80.... But I've seen some really nice home made cages!

I am in the process if making some now and to do it right, as has been mentioned, about $80. If you are good with that size, just buy them pre done.

I am making some non standard sized ones, that is the only reason for me to go DIY.

Keep in mind that when you buy wood from lowes you automatically get a certain number of free cuts, if you have your cage spec'd out and know all the measurements, having an employee at lowes make the cuts for you saves a ton of time.

Basically you would need to just cut the screen to fit, stain and assemble!

hope that helps

Thanks for all of the replies! Regardless of price I'll probably still make it myself just because I like working with my hands. Maybe I'll see if my girlfriends dad wants to help! (He keeps chameleons too) it'll give us some bonding/one on one time lol

Thanks for all of the replies! Regardless of price I'll probably still make it myself just because I like working with my hands. Maybe I'll see if my girlfriends dad wants to help! (He keeps chameleons too) it'll give us some bonding/one on one time lol

As most everyone said the premade cages will cost about the same as you will spend on materials for the homemade version. With that being said I made my last cage and it was a fun experience but I would not do it again. I spent too much time on it and if I did make another one I would make the frame from wood just because it would be a much larger enclosure.
Check out this youtube video of Jdog making a cage for his enclosure, he does a great job! Im not sure if he is a forum member. Have fun making the cage:)

http://youtu.be/AnNl5IMXFCI

Back
Top Bottom