Ate some dirt/woodchips???!

Aussie

tl;dr - My cham ate a little woodchip, will he die!?!?!?!?!?!

My cham is a ~7 month old veiled and I think he might have eaten some woodchips. I had him out in the sunshine and i was letting him adventure through the garden while I misted him with the hose. He was behind some plants and I saw him eat something off the ground without shooting his tongue. I grabbed him quick to try and see what it was and it looked like a small ish woodchip, smaller than an adult cricket. It also looked like it wasn't a very dense woodchip because there were some stringy peices hanging out of his mouth. I couldn't open his mouth before he swallowed it so I just put him back on the plants hoping that he wouldn't eat anymore chips. A few minutes later I saw him shoot his tongue at the ground but this time I grabbed him right away and gently pulled his mouth open. He had some dirt and he was chewing it/swallowing it. I took him inside after the second time and he seemed totally fine.

I came home today from work though and I found him in the darkest corner of my room on a pile of blankets sleeping, which is strange because he has a favorite sleepy spot way at the top of his branches. It might have just been because he wanted to get to the darkest part of the room to sleep but I also want to make sure he's not sick from the woodchip or dirt. Sorry for the long post but I'm just wondering if 1 little woodchip will kill him or if there's anything I can do/feed him to make him poop out the woodchip easier lol. I know I shouldn't have had him around woodchips to begin with but he loves the plants so much.

tl;dr - My cham ate a little woodchip, will he die!?!?!?!?!?!

It is possible that the woodchip wont pass and he will become impacted. If that is the case, he will need to see a vet. Watch to see if he passes it, and if he starts acting odd or ill, get him the vet ASAP.

If hes eating dirt, chances are theres something missing in his diet and he is trying to suppliment himself. I wouldnt worry too much about it. Does he poo regularly? If so, just watch for him doing it, then you can stop worrying! lol :D

I meant to post something like this myself. My little guy always waits until I put him on my neighbors hibiscus, I look away and BAM he's gnawing at the plant!

I've seen him eat little hibiscus plant parts (Wood not leaves) and he's seem to pass them all okay so far. I would love to see what more experienced members have to say. Help our situation :)

P.S. could it be just because the cham likes the plant? My guy has an okay variety of feeders.

P.P.S. no intention of hi-jacking, hopefully we can help the same problem.

I meant to post something like this myself. My little guy always waits until I put him on my neighbors hibiscus, I look away and BAM he's gnawing at the plant!

I've seen him eat little hibiscus plant parts (Wood not leaves) and he's seem to pass them all okay so far. I would love to see what more experienced members have to say. Help our situation :)

P.S. could it be just because the cham likes the plant? My guy has an okay variety of feeders.

P.P.S. no intention of hi-jacking, hopefully we can help the same problem.

so he is eating the branches then? how does he manage that!? I know the leaves and the flowers are ok. If he has eaten them in the past, and they came out ok then I would not worry. However, I would maybe deter him from eating them on a regular basis when you see him doing it.

so he is eating the branches then? how does he manage that!? I know the leaves and the flowers are ok. If he has eaten them in the past, and they came out ok then I would not worry. However, I would maybe deter him from eating them on a regular basis when you see him doing it.

I bought a hibiscus and I was wondering if Monty can eat it. It's a hibiscus hybrid, and I know all hibiscuses are safe but are all hibiscus hybrids???

Little bugger WAITS until he knows I'm looking away from him and he makes his move! Darts to a part of the plant that had part of the branch torn (Kids have snapped one or two branches off) and just viciously gnaws on the end of it. I rush in and grab him up looking like a doof yelling "AHH! Skittles don't you do it you little $***!" He manages to get a little bit every time...bug sized bits but all the same.

I think the end solution it to just watch when it happens and if it does make sure he poops! My guy has had good poops, he ate some yesterday and dropped a bomb just over an hour ago that looked fine....for poo :p

How is your chameleon Aussie? Did he pass everything okay? Let us know.

He seems fine now, he's been eating and being active like usual. I've been at work a lot the past couple days so I haven't seen him poop but I think he's alright now :D

Back
Top Bottom