Are these bones?

Yup she might have been dropped once and it healed funny. Their ribs are mostly cartilage and meant to take falls onto flat surfaces.

There was perhaps once when she could have fell when the decoration has collapsed. We don't recall why it happened. But as we picked her up from the ground (peat soil), she was normal. It was nearly a month of that incident and it is only today that we have took notice of that problem.

That actually looks very serious. I would consider a vet visit.. Their ribs should not be sticking out like that

They don't look too traumatic from the second photo, however the first photo is definitely abnormal. Has she laid before? I have heard of cases where females can actually break bones in their ribcages while laying because of the pressure and amount of calcium the eggs require. I can't really tell how old she is but I figure she is fairly young and this is likely not the case, just wanted to make sure. If she had been dropped from a serious height and landed awkwardly it could have easily been cause by that. Also another possibility is MBD. Metabolic Bone Disease does not always originate in the limbs, but can be noticeable in the rib cage and veil of the chameleon first as well. Make sure you are supplementing your chameleon correctly, and if this is the case hopefully the disease will cease. If you are doubtful on all of these suggestions, then I would just suggest a vet check up and go from there.
Cheers and best of luck.

They don't look too traumatic from the second photo, however the first photo is definitely abnormal. Has she laid before? I have heard of cases where females can actually break bones in their ribcages while laying because of the pressure and amount of calcium the eggs require. I can't really tell how old she is but I figure she is fairly young and this is likely not the case, just wanted to make sure. If she had been dropped from a serious height and landed awkwardly it could have easily been cause by that. Also another possibility is MBD. Metabolic Bone Disease does not always originate in the limbs, but can be noticeable in the rib cage and veil of the chameleon first as well. Make sure you are supplementing your chameleon correctly, and if this is the case hopefully the disease will cease. If you are doubtful on all of these suggestions, then I would just suggest a vet check up and go from there.
Cheers and best of luck.
Seems she is normal looking right now. And I doubt that she has laid recently or would soon since she is barely 4 months old. We feed her about 7-9 crickets per day and calcium/multivitamine twice weekly. Thanks for your reply and I would still wait 1-2 days before going to the vet IF she shows again that abnomality.

Back
Top Bottom