Are Falls a Concern with Free Ranging?

GatorCham11

I was thinking about creating a free range area for my chameleon since he loves to climb out of his cage everytime open his door. I am concerned though with him potentially falling. I was thinking of adding some kind of shelving under where the free range was to protect from high falls. Does anyone else have experience with Chams falling?

I was thinking about creating a free range area for my chameleon since he loves to climb out of his cage everytime open his door. I am concerned though with him potentially falling. I was thinking of adding some kind of shelving under where the free range was to protect from high falls. Does anyone else have experience with Chams falling?

Chams fall...they can usually handle falling 4-8 ft onto soft surfaces like carpet OK if they are healthy (no active MBD), and can break their fall by grabbing at branches or foliage on the way down. They can also inflate themselves with air to cushion the impact. In your free range, try to put some bushy potted plants below where he will tend to climb around. If the floor isn't carpeted, you could get a remnant piece to put under it just in case.

Back
Top Bottom