Chameleon doggy door?

lurker9090

Around my chameleons enclosure I have two large plants. I have noticed ever since I put one the plants there, he seems to REALLY want to get out to it. He keeps screen climbing but ONLY in that one area while he looks at the plant. However, he is a new 4.5 month old chameleon. I have not developed enough trust with him to carry him out, or even put a stick out without him getting scared (i have been daily practicing "building-trust-with-your-chameleon."). I would just open his main door, however his main door is on the opposite side of the plant he wants to get too. And I dont think hes quiet smart enough to know to walk around the enclosure to get to the plant. Could I create a small doggy door on the mesh so he can get to the plant/come back to his enclosure freely? Would it become annoying? Has anyone else done this? I am planning to make the entire countner a free roam area for him (where the plant he wants to get to is).

The red circle is the plant he really wants to get too, the blue area is what im planning on making his free roam area!
IMG_6693 2.jpg

Thoughts? ideas?

Last edited:
Around my chameleons enclosure I have two large plants. I have noticed ever since I put one the plants there, he seems to REALLY want to get out to it. He keeps screen climbing but ONLY in that one area while he looks at the plant. However, he is a new 4.5 month old chameleon. I have not developed enough trust with him to carry him out, or even put a stick out without him getting scared (i have been daily practicing "building-trust-with-your-chameleon."). I would just open his main door, however his main door is on the opposite side of the plant he wants to get too. And I dont think hes quiet smart enough to know to walk around the enclosure to get to the plant. Could I create a small doggy door on the mesh so he can get to the plant/come back to his enclosure freely? Would it become annoying? Has anyone else done this? I am planning to make the entire countner a free roam area for him (where the plant he wants to get to is).

The red circle is the plant he really wants to get too, the blue area is what im planning on making his free roam area!
View attachment 343596

Thoughts? ideas?
He wants/needs to get higher...the cage itself should sit on that counter. He is probably pretty stressed down so low.

I agree with @dinomom, baby needs to be much higher. Height equals safety to chameleons. My enclosures are high up enough that the top branch is higher than the top of my head. Just to give you an example.

He wants/needs to get higher...the cage itself should sit on that counter. He is probably pretty stressed down so low.
I agree with @dinomom, baby needs to be much higher. Height equals safety to chameleons. My enclosures are high up enough that the top branch is higher than the top of my head. Just to give you an example.
You guys are definitely right. I moved him from my room a few days ago which had lower ceilings, which i didnt take noticed of till now, he is on a 3foot tall stand, but i think the higher ceilings may be making him sad. When hes on his basking branch hes a little higher then my shoulders. I cant put him on the counter because it would be far to inconvenient for cleaning,feeding etc. so I think im going to get some sort of bin I can put under his enclosure so he is above my head instead! Thanks!

I would think that he may not stick to just his designated free range area and would find his way to other areas of your home, some that you may not want him to be or that aren’t safe. The problem with cutting the screen is then you have no way to contain him…no door to close/lock.

Back
Top Bottom