Are dubias like house roaches? are they invasive?

tvrsir

if a few were to get out would they infest the house? im thinking of buying some and i am afraid they are like those nasty house roaches that multiply at will.

I haven't lost many roaches myself but they are a tropical species that need pretty high temps to breed (Mine live on top of the monitor viv so breed quite nicely). They will not infest your house, and they can't climb sheer plastic so they aren't very difficult to keep imprisoned :)

if a few were to get out would they infest the house? im thinking of buying some and i am afraid they are like those nasty house roaches that multiply at will.

Depends on the temps in your area. They don't breed successfully at temps much below 80 F. If your house has any areas that stay warmer than that, I'd be careful. Dubia don't climb well or fly, so they are less likely to escape your colony. Some might get out of a cham cage if you free range them. You could also try to only feed the males to your cham.

The potential for them to possibly breed in your house is always there, albeit extremely small. It's unlikely they will breed if temps are under 80 (even 85ish usually isn't enough) and if humidity isn't high enough either. They are terrible climbers and unless you have food and water just sitting out, they'll die in a few days or a week or so.

I had a dog year apart a package with a few hundred. None of them left the scene I the crime (couch). My ferret had a field day finding all the dead roaches in the crevices. Talk about getting animals to work together.

Just keep them in a tall tank. They are pretty lame roaches like:D They can't climb, jump or fly.. they can glide I think. But if the walls of the tank are high and smooth, there's no way the can escape

Just keep them in a tall tank. They are pretty lame roaches like:D They can't climb, jump or fly.. they can glide I think. But if the walls of the tank are high and smooth, there's no way the can escape

You don't really want to keep them in a fish tank as they can climb the silicone. You can get a $5 plastic storage tub at Home depot/Lowes. You want a colored one, not the clear type. As long as it's smooth to the touch, they can't climb it.

You don't really want to keep them in a fish tank as they can climb the silicone. You can get a $5 plastic storage tub at Home depot/Lowes. You want a colored one, not the clear type. As long as it's smooth to the touch, they can't climb it.

i've kept mine in an extra fish tank for years and never had a problem with them trying to climb the silicone. as long as they have something to get under and hide, like eggcrate, and food to eat, they dont want to go anywhere. having said all of that i do have it covered with a screen lid! :)

Back
Top Bottom